Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,108 times

Advertisements

I have read through some of the posts and threads on here - so I apologize if I missed something similar - but couldn't find it. I am freaking out a bit and need some advice

I have lived in So Cal for 15 years - and for multiple reasons I wont bore anyone with it is time for a change and I am leaving in a few weeks.
My mother and gram live in So FL and I have decided to stay with them for a while or a year (to help out with gram)

They are going to be renting a house in Ft. Lauderdale right of Las Olas in what looks like a nice neighborhood. After reading through some of these posts I have some concerns and was hoping to get some advice.

Raised in downtown Philly and 15 years in Venice (which has had its fair share of crime including me being a close witness to a gang execution) I am curious about the crime rates I have read about - places to be aware of - places to avoid - concern for my gram etc...the immediate area in and around Las Olas - old fort lauderdale area - break ins, muggings, gangs - all these things I keep reading about in various posts.

Meeting people. I have never had trouble meeting people and making friends but I have read a lot of posts claiming people in Ft. L are not friendly to outsiders! YIKES! True? Not? I am in my mid 30's - currently single and dont relish a social life of watching tv with gram - or just hanging with my mothers gang. Real life advice on what it will be like for 30's single?

Work - I owned my own business for years and lost it in the economic downturn - and jobs are scare in CA - I dont expect FL to be flush with jobs - but it sounds as though it may be just as bad as CA?? I was in fashion/retail and figured I would look for work in that arena - retail stores etc

Lastly - now this will make me sound silly - but the alligators. Big deal in that area? I ask because I have a dog and a cat coming with me - and the cat is used to being outside when he wants. :-)

Trying to prepare myself for the summer heat and humidity which I keep hearing about and not thrilled about.

I am just getting disheartened as every time I say I am moving there peoples reactions are rather harsh and disparaging.
Real locals advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
I was in Venice just a month ago and left because it was nighttime, and we definitely felt unsafe. I havent had those vibes EVER in S Florida, and certainly not around Las Olas. Crime shouldn't scare you, neither should alligators (just dont take your pets with you for walks in the Everglades). People are all from somewhere else so there are no outsiders (everyone is one). As for your age and marital status, I think Las Olas is perfect. As for retail jobs, you may very well be able to find something in walking distance to where you'll be living. It is hot and humid for MANY months of the year, but again, living along Las Olas, you'll be close to the ocean breezes, so it wont be as bad as we have it out west.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM

wow- thank you for calming some of my fears - I think i am in a bit of "oh my god what am I doing" mode as I am starting to organize packing/moving to a city where I know no one.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM

lol, it'll be fine. I can think of a lot worse places to be relocating to.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
lol, it'll be fine. I can think of a lot worse places to be relocating to.
Woodside? LOL - just kidding - Good luck OP - I hope things work out great for you. All I will say is WORK - just be sure that work is not an issue or you have already landed a job. There are jobs but...maybe I'm just used to the NY way, where people get back to you quickly and tell you yes you are a candidate or no you are not. Apparently, it doesn't work that way there. I have been fortunate with what I have gotten, but I understand that doesn't seem to be the norm.

On that note good luck and I love Florida, I think it is a beautiful place. Fauve is the resident expert and one of the nicest people you will know, so utilize her!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Woodside? LOL - just kidding - Good luck OP - I hope things work out great for you. All I will say is WORK - just be sure that work is not an issue or you have already landed a job. There are jobs but...maybe I'm just used to the NY way, where people get back to you quickly and tell you yes you are a candidate or no you are not. Apparently, it doesn't work that way there. I have been fortunate with what I have gotten, but I understand that doesn't seem to be the norm.

On that note good luck and I love Florida, I think it is a beautiful place. Fauve is the resident expert and one of the nicest people you will know, so utilize her!
lol, Chelsa is much nicer than me, and at this point, an expert in her own right. And Chelsa, yes Woodside, haha.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM

No job - looking for one.....same as I have been out here.
I am curious about social life - not a big "hang out all night at a bar" person anymore - wondering how to meet interesting people in my age bracket

Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollephant View Post
No job - looking for one.....same as I have been out here.
I am curious about social life - not a big "hang out all night at a bar" person anymore - wondering how to meet interesting people in my age bracket
That's an age old question, of which Im certainly not the expert. Ive heard a lot of people utilizing the Meetup.com site for various interests like photography, gardening, reading, etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollephant View Post
...They are going to be renting a house in Ft. Lauderdale right of Las Olas ...the alligators. Big deal in that area?...
Some like to think alligators are a big deal in the Las Olas area.

http://www.superpolos.com/items/mens-classic-lacoste-polo-shirts-1.jpg (broken link)

But you can get into most restaurants with just a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops anyway.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM

LOL that is awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area