Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 PM

167 posts, read 876,923 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Well my husband is getting stationed in Miami in the Coast Guard and we are looking for a place to rent in the ft lauderdale/pembroke pines area. We have a realtor who is helping us and sending us some listings. The only problem is that she is only sending us listings of houses that dont have any carpeting in the living room. She says that pretty much all of the houses down in this area are like this because it is so hot that people dont want carpeting in their living room. I would prefer carpeting since I have a 22 month old and I would like her to have some cushioning if she happens to fall.. I know we can get a big area rug but I would really prefer carpet if its possible.. I just wanted to get some opinions about this. Thanks all!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM

157 posts, read 601,106 times
Sorry...but your realtor is right.
It will be pretty hard to find a house with carpeting in the LR, a condo maybe, but even those have already progressed into the laminate wood (which is what most people are going for now here)
People prefer tile not only because it's hot here but also because of the lifestyle, we go to the beach and the pool a lot and carpet is harder to keep clean.
Are you buying or renting? If you're buying you can easily go to a home imporvement store and have carpet intalled very cheap these days (around $200 - $300 for a 10x10 room) so that's an option.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,249 times
Falls of Pembroke has carpeting (it is a rental community). I live in Weston and have carpet (again apt.). The townhomes we looked at all had the tiles but I think the apts. have carpet! good luck

Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Jennifer, the apartment we had in Plantation had carpeting through out but I don't know about those two areas you mentioned.

I shared your concern about the tile because we have a 1 year old. We purchased foam floor mats at Sam's but you can get them online, just double the price. We had to buy two sets.

Amazon.com: Multi-purpose Reversible Foam Mats: Toys & Games

Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM

259 posts, read 840,595 times
Very true. Another reason a lot of people don't have carpet in the living room is due to possible flooding that may occur during hurricanes or really bad rainy weather in the summer. The water is a lot easier to handle and it's just easier to clean up.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 PM

137 posts, read 425,471 times
when I bought my home 1+ years ago. I looked at about 60 homes. I'd say only about 5 of them had carpeting. One house I loved had a deep red carpet that I hated and would have ripped up, but they didn't accept my offer. Anyway, I agree with a previous poster. You can get carpet installed.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 AM

Thanks everyone... I was kind of afraid of that... I would at least like to get hardwood in the LR and not tile... Is this something that is common? BTW we are looking to rent, not buy, so installing carpet wouldnt really be an option.. And we really need a house , not an apartment since we have 2 kids.... I appreciate all of the advice!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Crisan, thanks for the link to the foam mat.... We were kind of thinking of an area rug though it would need to be a big one...Hopefully we can find one with some cushion... Where is a good place to look??

Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 AM

also what is a good site to look at homes for rent around this area ?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,333 times
wood floors arent as common in south florida either, because of the humidity, it affects the wood and how it sits. Tile and terrazzo (in older homes) are going to be the main type of flooring. Carpet gets nasty after a couple years in SoFla.. tile is much easier to clean.. Get some throw rugs or those mats from Sams! We just bought a bunch for our office. They're nice and cushy to stand on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area