Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 35,075 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to South FL and have been told Parkland Fl is a great place to consider.

What's the Good, Bad and ugly about this place?

We are a bilingual family from South America and want to feel comfortable in an upscale neighborhood without feeling like outcasts...

We enjoy outdoor activities and and a friendly environment.

Enjoy eating out and being near some shopping and nice restaurants...

Price range will be around 400-600k for a single family house.

How are the people in Parkland?

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClipperAlaska View Post
We are relocating to South FL and have been told Parkland Fl is a great place to consider.

We are a bilingual family from South America and want to feel comfortable in an upscale neighborhood without feeling like outcasts...

Thanks in Advance.
I live in Parkland ( Heron Bay ) with my family ... I am American , my wife is Cuban American ... Hispanics are about 35% of the population in Parkland and most are upscale and professional .

= Many outdoor activities , biking jogging trails , horses , horses and more horses .

= Still not as good as say Weston for restaurants but getting better ... the Saw Grass and the Boca Raton Town Center are relatively close by. Coral Springs also has some good reataurants nearby .

= You can find a lovely home with a pool for that price range

= Schools are good by Florida standards

= Similar to Weston .... most people are nice although you do have some snobs and some spoiled rich kids .. .. frankly the Hispanics are friendlier than my fellow New Yorkers ... but you have all kinds .

= It is a great place to live , safe , green and with many amenities .. I would recommend Parkland to anyone .

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Just one thing and I have said this time and again - beware of homes built with Chinese drywall in Parkland. Parkland is lovely to be sure - but as you begin your search you want to be educated on Chinese drywall.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Just one thing and I have said this time and again - beware of homes built with Chinese drywall in Parkland. Parkland is lovely to be sure - but as you begin your search you want to be educated on Chinese drywall.
Great post - I saw a home for 250k - 7 bedroom, 4 baths, pool, etc - so, what was it - yep the "chinese dry wall" - thing is maybe you'll get sick, maybe you won't but no way to tell! I wouldn't take the chance!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:56 PM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
I'm sure Parkland is nice. But have you considered Weston? It fits your need.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
^ I was going to say the same thing.. Weston sounds like a better fit! There is a larger hispanic population in Weston, so I think you'll feel more at home. Parkland and Weston are very similar though. Very nice areas, with beautiful, large, upscale homes, great shopping and restaurants, parks, and easy access to highways. Good luck!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
Parkland is nice but Weston sounds absolutely perfect....

Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Parkland is nice but Weston sounds absolutely perfect....

Clipper, I have to agree with Compelled and some of the other Posters. Rock (who I believe posted) is a great guy, but I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from Parkland when I was looking at homes there last year. I can't say that I got the fuzzy feeling about Weston, but (to me), it is much more put together. Parkland is beautiful, but (to me), it was very rural. Really depends on what you like and what you expect from the area you live in. Go and take a look around in both places. I mean if you are purchasing in that price range, I don't think things will be very difficult for you, but as said before Weston may feel more at home for you. After all I have heard Weston referred to as Westontina (Argentina) or Westonzuela (Venezula).

Good luck with your search and let us know what you have decided on!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:49 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
The only reason Parkland seems rural is because there are actually trees there and dense foliage, and there are horses. It is really very built up, not rural at all. Parkland has much more appeal in my opinion than Weston. Weston is too manufactured and contains everything I hate about what South FL has become. The schools are good in both places.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The only reason Parkland seems rural is because there are actually trees there and dense foliage, and there are horses. It is really very built up, not rural at all. Parkland has much more appeal in my opinion than Weston. Weston is too manufactured and contains everything I hate about what South FL has become. The schools are good in both places.
I now live in Parkland ... my home was built in 1999 so Chinese Dry Wall is not an issue .... lived in Weston for over four years .. we love both places and in fact Parkland has a more "rural " feel do to the horse ranches and large pine trees which you do not have in Weston ... but frankly both places are much more similar than different .. very diverse , both have heavy populations from the North East , both have large Jewish communities .. Weston is more Hispanic ... but both are upscale and great places to live .. actually was much as we enjoy Parkland .. there is more to do in Weston and a much greater diversity of parks and restaurants .. as well it is slightly more kid friendly than Parkland as well ... I don't see how you can perceive Weston as a place that contains everything that you hate about South Florida .... Parkland is in fact very similar and I would like to know why you would not feel that way about Parkland as well .... your comment baffles me as both cities are so similar ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area