U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 PM

89 posts, read 257,217 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving (for sure) to FL the 1st week of Sept. and need some help w/ where to live. I will be working in Coconut Creek and WAS planning on living in Ft. Lauderdale. I wanted to be in Ft. Lauderdale for the beach and more things going on. I am a single 30yr old professional male. I just did some searches on crime in Ft. L. and had no idea that it is so dangerous.
Now, I am re-thinking living there. Any insight on this? Any advice on some happening area, close to the beach and close to Coconut Creek so I can avoid heavy traffic on 95 or similar congested roads?

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,867,835 times
Generally speaking, the only safe places near the beach in Broward County are on A1A or in any case east of Federal Hwy and Dixie Hwy. For those locations be prepared to pay top dollar in rent. There are plenty of online sources for rental rates.

If those rental rates are in your budget, then go for it. If you work in Coconut Creek you are probably going against the main flow of traffic. If you live in Coconut Creek and you want to go to the beach, then you have the problem of where to park your car.

There are other beach communities in Broward County north of Ft. Lauderdale - like Lighthouse Point, Pompano Beach, and Deerfield Beach - that are closer to Coconut Creek. Get a map and check them out.

Deerfield Beach, generally speaking, is for younger people. You might meet a nice Brazilian girl!

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 AM

150 posts, read 676,118 times
The Deerfield Beach area is nice.I lived in Coc.Creek for 6 yrs.You could also live there and drive the 20 min. to the beach.Great town for young people.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Deerfield Beach, generally speaking, is for younger people. You might meet a nice Brazilian girl!

Good luck.
Nice

I hear that Pompano is nice as long as your east of 95?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM

Since this post I started to do a little research on Deerfield...getting mixed reviews, some say it's nice others say it isn't such a good area(crime, dirty etc) Also hear it's an older crowd. What about Delray, how is it there and how far from Ft Laud is it?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum350 View Post
Since this post I started to do a little research on Deerfield...getting mixed reviews, some say it's nice others say it isn't such a good area(crime, dirty etc) Also hear it's an older crowd. What about Delray, how is it there and how far from Ft Laud is it?
Delray Beach beaches are more accessible than those of Boca Raton, but Delray Beach is an even older crowd than either Boca or Deerfield, it can be even more expensive than Boca (but a wide variety, including quality of neighborhood) prevails. Moreover, it can be a trek to Ft. Lauderdale, depending on the time of day: the 25-30 miles could take a half hour or an hour depending on traffic and what lane of 95 you are in. etc.

Yes, Deerfield Beach can be spotty, but so can Delray Beach, and that's why you get mixed reviews.

When I say Deerfield Beach, I mean the beach. When I pass by there I see a lot of young people making merry in a way that I don't see in Delray Beach. I have no clue what those other reviewers are talking about if they are referring specifically and exclusively to the beach area.

Personally I would prefer Delray Beach over Deerfield Beach, but that's because I'm an old fot, and because Deerfield Beach, as a whole, is probably a bit more spotty than Delray Beach, as a whole.

As for crime, well, yes, you take your chances no matter where you go, but generally speaking you are better off around A1A than around 95, and that goes for Pompano Beach as well.

Your best bet is to come before September and see for yourself.

Good luck.

Last edited by bale002; 06-07-2007 at 01:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 06:12 AM

20 posts, read 68,283 times
Default Fort Lauderdale

I have no idea who is posting responses to you but here it is. I am single and 28 and I live in Fort Lauderdale. It is not dangerous East of 95 here at all, do not believe everything you read. Unless you're coming from like Mobridge, South Dakota or something, the crime will not be shocking. If I were to make a suggestion, here it is. Do not live west of I-95 in my opinion most of it is a dump. Also, don't live in Deerfield or Pompano because the moment you get down here you will realize that you want to be near downtown/waterfront in Ft. Lauderdale. Many of us locals don't always do the beach thing but blow for blow Ft. Laud will beat Pompano, Deerfield or the northern areas. Also don't move to Sunrise or Plantation, because the three nice areas of both of those cities are expensive and off the water. I-95 or 595 in the morning blows! Someone from there is going to jump all over me now watch! Also watch out for the women down here; since you are single. I say this as a warning. MOST (disclaimer) of the women in South Florida care only about money or status and will do about anything to get it. So date someone for a few days and get out. Don't live under the assumption that you will find a soulmate here in Ft. Lauderdale. I am not here to bash the area totally though because I live here and like it a lot. I just want to give you a heads up. Any other questions just ask.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,622 times
I am moving there as well and I know what you mean. I am starting to get scared to move there as well. At least you don't have kids and have to think about that.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 AM

29 posts, read 90,974 times
Alot of negative results..Don't hear much positive..

Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 AM

305 posts, read 773,620 times
The only areas that I think are dangerous in the East Fort Lauderdale area is Sunrise Blvd, Broward and Oakland Park..... Once you past Commercial Blvd and go north you're pretty safe since the area is much more mixed. Deerfield Beach and 95 is pretty safe, just stay outta the hoods that may be in that area and if you live in Philidephia you probably have some knowledge on that subject.

If you can move East past 95 and closer to Dixie or Us-1 that's even safer, it's just that the area is alot older and the population is alot older as well.

Us-1 and Commercial is a pretty good place to live, lots of nightlife and pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>