Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 20,168 times

Advertisements

Ok My family and I are considering this area.

We drove through it a few weeks back and from the posts I have seen it seems like a small community family friendly area. We are boaters. Our kids are from Elementary to middle school age. Seems like there are a few negatives- please clarify

1-middle and high schools seem questionable - is this accurate ?
2-Pompano seems to be getting a lot of press lately and seems to be having crime issues.

I dont really want to live in a nice area that is so close to a "questionable area" and have my kids going to school with kids from these questionable areas.

with that said I still Like Lighthouse pt for what it offers.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekrtoktb View Post
Ok My family and I are considering this area.

We drove through it a few weeks back and from the posts I have seen it seems like a small community family friendly area. We are boaters. Our kids are from Elementary to middle school age. Seems like there are a few negatives- please clarify

1-middle and high schools seem questionable - is this accurate ?
2-Pompano seems to be getting a lot of press lately and seems to be having crime issues.

I dont really want to live in a nice area that is so close to a "questionable area" and have my kids going to school with kids from these questionable areas.

with that said I still Like Lighthouse pt for what it offers.

thanks
Most people I know who live in Lighthouse Point send their kids to private schools.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 20,168 times
thank you for the reply Momma Bear.

I guess I didnt want to hear that response though- think it makes it much less desirable for me if most send their kids to private schools there.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekrtoktb View Post
thank you for the reply Momma Bear.

I guess I didnt want to hear that response though- think it makes it much less desirable for me if most send their kids to private schools there.
Any of the areas near the beach have questionable public schools. Some of the elementary schools are ok (because they are neighborhood schools). Once the schools start to pull from a broader geographical area (middle/high) you start to draw kids from the questionable neighborhoods.

There are some magnets that are very good programs, however, they are usually designed to draw kids into questionable schools so that you can't tell how bad the schools really are. The kids in the magnet programs typically do well, but the kids who are not in the magnet are from the questionable neighborhoods so the school environment may be a problem in some schools.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
There was a poster on here very recently who said the Lighthouse Point schools were going to be beginning an IB program in the elementary school and in time, the middle and high schools. I think this is worth a call to Broward Schools to verify and find out the specifics - whether it's a magnet (must be) and what the criteria for admission will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area