Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, what are the HOA fee's for savanna ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
$320 per quarter.

FYI, if you look up a listing from ziprealy.com, it shows the HOA fees.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I agree that Savanna is a beautiful community and very kid friendly , but once again if you do not speak Spanish it can be a grind at least for some people .. I hate to get on this topic again .... but we have friends in the community who like it but sometimes feel alienated due to the language issue ... Savanna was the last of the original Arvida communities and they marketed heavily in Colombia , Venezuela , Mexico and Argentina during 1998-2000 .. thus you have a much larger Hispanic presence than the other Weston communities .. we had wonderful friends from these countries when we lived in Weston .. my wife is fluent in Spanish ... although I remember being at social gatherings with every one speaking in Spanish and me feeling like the odd man out .. again it is just an issue that I hear being brought up frequently by friends who live there and do not speak Spanish . We lived in The Meadows for four years and really liked the community .. much smaller ( more English ) and quaint than Savanna IMO .
Savanna probably has changed since you last lived here.

I see less hispanics buying and renting in Savanna these days. But I agree that the Hispanics population is larger than other communities. I love Meadows, too.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post

Around $320 Quarterly

Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Savanna probably has changed since you last lived here.

I see less hispanics buying and renting in Savanna these days. But I agree that the Hispanics population is larger than other communities. I love Meadows, too.

We live in a big beautiful house in Parkland now .... but our neighbors are bland , boring and really introverted ... in the Meadows we had neighbors from California , New York , Rhode Island , New Jersey , Texas , Colombia , Canada , Argentina , Venezuela and even Holland .. all were great and it was never , never boring ... we really miss The Meadows !!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Really?

I have lived here for almost 10 years and although I find that there are many Spanish speakers, most of them speak English as well (or are trying to learn). We have not had any problem making friends here.
Good for you ... again it is a nice , pretty community ... but what I posted is a gripe that we used to hear constantly from several white non-hispanic friends that we have living in Savanna ... this was back between 2001-2006 .. maybe it has changed ?

My wife is Cuban American and fluent in Spanish and even she used to comment that it could be awkward for a non Spanish speaker in Savanna ... again just my opinion ... it is a safe beautiful community and if you are happy then great

Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Good for you ... again it is a nice , pretty community ... but what I posted is a gripe that we used to hear constantly from several white non-hispanic friends that we have living in Savanna ... this was back between 2001-2006 .. maybe it has changed ?

My wife is Cuban American and fluent in Spanish and even she used to comment that it could be awkward for a non Spanish speaker in Savanna ... again just my opinion ... it is a safe beautiful community and if you are happy then great
I wonder if it varies by neighborhood. I have heard the gripe from others and I just wonder if different neighborhoods have more Spanish ONLY families than others. I have plenty of neighbors who speak Spanish but most of them speak English as well. My neighborhood also has a fair number of transplants from the Northeast, mostly Jewish.

I have been here since 2000. It was a bit more difficult when my kids were small and I was trying to make plans with the other mothers. While most of the fathers speak some English for work the mothers were slower to learn. I frequently found myself trying to make plans with a 5 year old as a translator. Now that the mothers have been here for a while their English skills have improved. Plus the kids are older and it's easier to have an 11 year old translator than a 5 year old.

I have liked living here. I think we are ready to move on to a home that is a little further east with a large yard so we are thinking of moving to Plantation. I wonder if I will find it boring as well. Our neighbors are from all over the world here.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
My kids have some friends whose moms aren't very hot with English and sometimes it is difficult to make arrangements with them (like going to the movies and who is going to drive and who/when is going to pick them up). But not too bad.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM

182 posts, read 502,089 times
Default How did you choose Weston

May i ask how you narrowed your search down to Weston? Going through the same process.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:03 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:

Agreed. I have a few close friends who live in Savanna all of whom have been there over 8 years and complain of the isolation as a non-hispanic/non-spanish speaker (both language and social).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area