Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times

Advertisements

"The bills from both houses of the legislature, SB 6 and HB 7189, make it easier to fire teachers based upon the scores students get on standardized tests. It calls for school districts to adopt merit pay plans offering raises to teachers and school administrators according to evaluations based at least half on how much improvement their students have made on those standardized tests.

Bad evaluations, though, could cost teachers their certification. It would abolish tenure for teachers hired after July 1. They'd only be able to get one-year contracts.

House Republicans championed the bills as a way to help attract and keep the best teachers by paying them more while getting rid of "bad teachers."'

Teachers & Students Across S. Fla Protest SB 6 - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/local/Black.Friday.Protest.2.1622259.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM

157 posts, read 600,952 times
I'm totally against this bill!!!! And I'm not a teacher.
I can't see how they can tie their salaries to student's performance if some of them come from homes where the parents do absolutely nothing to make sure these kids even attend school, even less have good grades.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:16 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Im against this bill as well...However the ONLY thing I agree on is that there has to be a way to be able to get rid of "bad teachers" which we all know exists everywhere lets face it some people should not be teaching or they just arent qualified....ALTHOUGH I dont agree that PAY should be based on any testing...I do think teachers should be held accountable to a point on whether these kids are learning or not...But there has to be another way because honestly with all these tests, the teachers arent teaching anything else but that.so it really is a catch 22...and I just dont understand how ANYONE can think that this is a Good thing? I wish someone could just go to Christ's office and say dont sign this awful bill before you hear US OUT personally...well this should be interesting...and I hope all you teachers out there will be heard...

Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 PM

What I don't understand is why they need a reason to fire 'bad teachers'. Florida is an at-will state and anyone can be fired at any time for any reason. That's why the Unions have no power here. 9 math teachers alone were laid off from Western last year due to budget cuts. Why not just fire the bad ones?

My suspicion is that this an excuse to fire teachers with tenure. Who are the teachers with tenure? The ones who have the most seniority and are paid the most! When are teachers paid the most? During the last 5 years of employment. Why did the Republican arm of the state vote for this when no reasonable person would? To take money from Education and put it somewhere else.

And the whole tying teacher pay to student performance is like some Orwellian nightmare. I feel SOOO sorry for the special ed teachers who teach the emotionally disturbed and learning disabled.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM

157 posts, read 600,952 times
I agree with Fauve...why do they need an excuse to fire the bad teachers?
They should tie teachers salaries to their own performance, i.e., if there are a group of students that have grades above a C on every subject but ONE and this one coincidently happens to be let's say social sciences, then it's pretty obvious the social sciences teacher is not doing a good job...at least that's how they determined who was a good teacher and who was bad back when I was in school.
I also agree that the teachers are so concerned with getting these kids to score well on the tests that they are not teaching anymore, they are simply training kids to test...and guess what?
This new system is just going to make it worse!!!! Because more than ever the teachers will be concerned with only one thing: test scores.
I've just posted another thread with information to attend the Town Hall meeting that will discuss budget cuts for the Broward County schools...another blow to the already ailling school system.
Please attend if you can!!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:36 PM

391 posts, read 513,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
"The bills from both houses of the legislature, SB 6 and HB 7189, make it easier to fire teachers based upon the scores students get on standardized tests. It calls for school districts to adopt merit pay plans offering raises to teachers and school administrators according to evaluations based at least half on how much improvement their students have made on those standardized tests.

Bad evaluations, though, could cost teachers their certification. It would abolish tenure for teachers hired after July 1. They'd only be able to get one-year contracts.

House Republicans championed the bills as a way to help attract and keep the best teachers by paying them more while getting rid of "bad teachers."'

Teachers & Students Across S. Fla Protest SB 6 - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/local/Black.Friday.Protest.2.1622259.html - broken link)
It is not raises based improvement, it is pay.

"The bill requires school districts to adopt a salary schedule that compensates instructional personnel solely based on performance appraisals; prohibits districts from using years of service or degrees-held in setting salary schedules; and requires districts to adopt a salary adjustment for awarding differentiated pay."

Advanced degrees, year of experience, additional national boad certification CAN NOT be considered. Read here for the governments own staff analysis of the bill.
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...2&Session=2010

Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
It is not raises based improvement, it is pay.

"The bill requires school districts to adopt a salary schedule that compensates instructional personnel solely based on performance appraisals; prohibits districts from using years of service or degrees-held in setting salary schedules; and requires districts to adopt a salary adjustment for awarding differentiated pay."

Advanced degrees, year of experience, additional national boad certification CAN NOT be considered. Read here for the governments own staff analysis of the bill.
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...2&Session=2010
That is outrageous.

With low salaries, the high cost of living, no job security, no compensation for years worked, no compensation for National accreditation or higher education, there is no sensible reason for good teachers to either stay here or come here to teach.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
This bill is stupid. Crist will not sign it if he wants to continue his career in politics.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
This bill is stupid. Crist will not sign it if he wants to continue his career in politics.
We hope your right..I said that to my dh as well, if he signs this bill does he not realize his political career will be over...I don't get it

Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
FL teachers' morale is bad enough. Now this? I'm all for getting rid of the bad teachers, and I'm wondering is this is just a cost cutting method used to fire teachers whom they couldnt have previously fired because they had tenure. Always cutting corners. State's about bankrupt as it is. One of the highest unemployment rates. Students in and out of the state because their parents are moving in and out of FL. No consistency, stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area