Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,564 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm sure this is a common question but...

I'm a single mom moving to Ft. Lauderdale, I have a child in high school & one in middle school, I'm having a hard time figuring out which is the best school district in the area.

I'm moving from Atlanta, GA and we live in a relatively affluent part of town. I'm hoping to find somewhere that's upscale yet diverse and where the other moms won't look 'down' on me because I'm the only single parent in the neighborhood. Upscale but not stuck-up & judgemental. Does that part of town exist?

I'm not interested in an apartment or condo... I figured I'd find the best schools first and work my way out from there.

Any suggestions? Thx for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM

154 posts, read 552,463 times
There's this great website online that I got a lot of information regarding schools.

I used it to look at schools near me however, it won't help with private schools...just state schools. It gives fcat scores, reviews and their overall rating. I'll have to send it via direct message Moderator cut: discussing moderation issues in the forum is against tos, please see dm

Last edited by fauve; 04-12-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 06:06 PM

182 posts, read 501,992 times
would you be able to direct message me that website as well ?

Thanks so much i really appreciate it

Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,517 times
OP - I don't love the schools in Ft. Lauderdale - the elementary schools are really good for the most part but it is all down hill after that - at least the way of public. There are some charters that have good reputations. The real problem is where you really will be versus where you think you will be. People live in tamarac and say Ft. Lauderdale - so, you will get a different response. Be sure what city you are going to be in and then go from there.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,978 times
You can check the school ratings through the County's website. Broward County Public Schools Moderator cut: no problem

Last edited by fauve; 04-14-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 AM

182 posts, read 501,992 times
Chelsea, when people say they live in Ft Lauderdale, how far out does this extend then?

Here we say we live in Adelaide, but the reality any suburb around that metro area we still say we live in Adelaide.

So do PP say i live in Ft L, or Miami??? Or is that just a weird thing we do over here?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfire View Post
Chelsea, when people say they live in Ft Lauderdale, how far out does this extend then?

Here we say we live in Adelaide, but the reality any suburb around that metro area we still say we live in Adelaide.

So do PP say i live in Ft L, or Miami??? Or is that just a weird thing we do over here?
I don't think it is a weird thing but if you live in PP you say you live in WPP or PP - you don't say Ft. Lauderdale. You may say fort lauderdayle if you live in Oakland park or a berry nearby area. When I told the OP aboutthe school I meant specifically for the city of ft lauderdale - there are only 6 cities in broward that offer "A" rated schools that are also regarded highly by greatschools.net from k-12 and those cities are PP - Cooper City - Coral Springs - Parkland - Weston and Davie.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 AM

Also, while Hollywood is not known to be the best area they offer really good charter schools!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulLife404 View Post
Hi,

I'm sure this is a common question but...

I'm a single mom moving to Ft. Lauderdale, I have a child in high school & one in middle school, I'm having a hard time figuring out which is the best school district in the area.

I'm moving from Atlanta, GA and we live in a relatively affluent part of town. I'm hoping to find somewhere that's upscale yet diverse and where the other moms won't look 'down' on me because I'm the only single parent in the neighborhood. Upscale but not stuck-up & judgemental. Does that part of town exist?

I'm not interested in an apartment or condo... I figured I'd find the best schools first and work my way out from there.

Any suggestions? Thx for your help!
Middle/High School is tough. In general the schools in Broward are not that great. Take a look at West Broward HS (Pembroke Pines/SW Ranches), Cypress Bay HS (Weston) , Marjorie Stoneman Douglas HS (Parkland), and Coral Glades HS (Coral Springs).

There are some magnet programs that are good but they are all good programs in generally rough schools. My advice would be to find the high school first. Usually (not always) the middle schools that feed into the good high schools are ok but there are some ok middle schools that feed into not so great high schools.

How much can you spend on a house?

When you are thinking of moving find out the address, call the Broward County School district, give them the address and find out what schools the address is zoned for. Do not depend on others (realtors, landlords, etc.) to tell you this information. It is frequently WRONG when given by third parties. Take the 5 minutes and call the school district yourself.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I don't think it is a weird thing but if you live in PP you say you live in WPP or PP - you don't say Ft. Lauderdale. You may say fort lauderdayle if you live in Oakland park or a berry nearby area. When I told the OP aboutthe school I meant specifically for the city of ft lauderdale - there are only 6 cities in broward that offer "A" rated schools that are also regarded highly by greatschools.net from k-12 and those cities are PP - Cooper City - Coral Springs - Parkland - Weston and Davie.

When I lived in Pembroke Pines, I never said WPP, just Pembroke Pines. And, when I lived in east Davie, I just said Davie. Unless people wanted more specifics, it would have sounded odd. Everyone uses east or west on CD because we're talking relocation to specific neighborhoods, but in r/l I almost never hear it. WPP could sound almost snobby - like, 'I live in the good section of PP.' You might get a response like 'well, do you, now?' Even with east Davie, I would have been more likely to say 'near downtown Davie,' rather than east. I say east on here so people from other places get some inkling of where Im talking about. Even now in Plantation, I live west, but wouldn't specify because again it could come across as pretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area