U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 AM

76 posts, read 288,030 times

Advertisements

I am moving (part time) to Fort Lauderdale soon. I was hoping that some of you could give me advice on joining a gym. The gyms that are within a reasonable distance from my home will be 1) LA Fitness on Federal Highway; 2) World Gym on Federal Highway; 3) Gold's on Commercial; 4) Island City on Wilton Drive. Any recommedations or warnings? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM

351 posts, read 1,072,278 times
LA fitness on federal is okay, a little worn around the edges but has everything. If you join LA Fitness, you can sign up for the plan which allows you to work out at other locations.

I don't know about either World or Gold's, but Island City on Wilton has a large gay clientele which may or may not be acceptable for you.

Another option is Downtown Gym which is a small boutique type gym at Broward and US 1, I have heard many good things about it.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,924,179 times
L.A. Fitness has everything. But it is very crowded. It is supposedly the busiest L.A. Fitness in the country.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:35 PM

35 posts, read 57,627 times
The Playground Gym is a nice gym that's in FAT Village Arts District. Mostly all free weights.

To the north is Wilton Manors where they have a gym called Steel Gym, which use to be called Island City Fitness.

You should also check out Riptide CrossFit. Nice Facility. The people who work there are very friendly, as are the members.

A few other notable mentions are:

- World Gym

- The Zoo Health Club

- 110 Fitness

Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,644,792 times
I work out at The Zoo and while it is a little worn around the edges, there is something to be said about working out on a rooftop oceanfront gym.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 AM

389 posts, read 600,662 times
I'll mention YouFit (a relatively new chain) as a possibility, even though the closest location may be a bit farther than you care to drive (it's on Federal Highway in far southern Pompano Beach, just north of the border with Fort Lauderdale) simply because it may be worth checking out. It's inexpensive and the clientele isn't especially glitzy; it's good for a mid-50ish guy like me who will never be mistaken for a bodybuilder or male model but simply wants to get in better shape and work off some stress. It's not an upscale experience, though, and a few of the cost-cutting measures there are irritants -- seems to take weeks for broken equipment to be fixed, for example.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 PM

32 posts, read 60,431 times
World Gym: VERY small. Major parking issues!
110 Fitness: Downtown, rat race mindset. You must park in the building's 5 level parking lot. only 1 hour, 45 minutes! Your ticket gets stamped but it's a hassle.
The ZOO now called The Gym: Mandatory pay to park! Almost $2.00 for 2 hours. Highly congested area and the owners, front desk people are rude.

I suck it up and drive all the way to 24 Hour Fitness off Pine Island in Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area