U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 AM

182 posts, read 472,280 times

Advertisements

When people say they live in Ft Lauderdale or Miami - how far out does that stretch.

Eg from Miami to PPines do people say 'i live in Miami'?

What is the limit?

Its different here cause we have one major city per state and therefore we all come from that city regardless of what smaller city/suburb we live in.

I hope that question makes sense, there is some method in my madness I assure you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 22,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfire View Post
When people say they live in Ft Lauderdale or Miami - how far out does that stretch.

What is the limit?

Its different here cause we have one major city per state and therefore we all come from that city regardless of what smaller city/suburb we live in.

I hope that question makes sense, there is some method in my madness I assure you
It depends on who you are talking to.

If you are talking to someone local I usually say I live in Weston. Local people will know the area.

If I am talking to someone who is familiar with the general tri-county region (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade) but not necessarily every little town I usually say I live west of Fort Lauderdale because most people know where Ft. Lauderdale is located.

If I am talking to someone who is not familiar with south FL at all I usually just say I live in Fort Lauderdale because people have an idea where that is. Sometimes they ask how far we are from Miami.

In general Fort Lauderdale is Fort Lauderdale and the towns surrounding it are Plantation, Davie, Oakland Park, Pompano Beach, Hollywood, etc..

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 AM

3,848 posts, read 8,752,771 times
I think MB summed it up well. I think if you live in Broward and are talking to somebody not familiar with SoFla you would say you live in FTL, but if you're in Miami-Dade you would say you live in Miami.

If you're talking to people in the area you could say the actual city name.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,692,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfire View Post

What is the limit?

Well there is a metropolitan area that includes the 3 counties, the South Florida area.

For simplification purposes, some people might say they live in Miami if they are talking to someone who knows nothing about Florida

In general though people don't say they live in Miami. It has a bad connotation

Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,562,510 times
I agree with the Princess. When I travel abroad, people sometimes ask me where I'm from. I usually tell then South Florida, but I avoid Miami. Having said that, I actually reside in Miami Lakes, so if someone from Miami asks where I live, I tell them ML. Like previous posts stated, it all depends on who you are talking to, but at all cause I avoid saying that I live in Miami, it sounds awful, bad reputation.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,103,783 times
never ran into bad reputation thing

Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,259,951 times
i'm from Miami Shores, but i usually say i'm from Miami

Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,876,264 times
Its simple. If you live anywhere in Miami-Dade County, you say you live in Miami. If you live in Broward County (including Pembroke Pines), you cannot say you are from Miami.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 PM

182 posts, read 472,280 times
Thanks, that helps heaps

Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM

18,440 posts, read 38,552,003 times
Why do people say "Miami-Dade" now? I remember back when it was simply "Dade County".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>