Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 PM

8 posts, read 18,082 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving with my family from CT to FL in October. Based on my research, i have shortlisted Weston since i have kids in elementary schools and everyone says Weston is the place to be for families. Also, my work will involve going to Miami (Coral Gables) and Fort Lauderdale (Cypress Creek) one day each week. Weston seems to be centrally located to both those places.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate if someone could address them:

1. I am looking for a 2 bedroom home/townhome within the $2000 price range. What are my best options in Weston?
2. I hear that Weston is multi-cultural.I love that fact and is one of the reasons I shortlisted the place. But at the same time, i am hoping that i have some people from the Indian community around as well as some Indian grocery stores, etc. Can someone confirm?
3. I see a lot of houses in the Bonaventure area which seem relatively cheap. Is there a reason i should stay away from that place?
4. Are there areas other than Weston which you think may work for me as well?

Looking forward to your responses!

Revolta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 11:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolta View Post
Hi,

I am moving with my family from CT to FL in October. Based on my research, i have shortlisted Weston since i have kids in elementary schools and everyone says Weston is the place to be for families. Also, my work will involve going to Miami (Coral Gables) and Fort Lauderdale (Cypress Creek) one day each week. Weston seems to be centrally located to both those places.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate if someone could address them:

1. I am looking for a 2 bedroom home/townhome within the $2000 price range. What are my best options in Weston?
2. I hear that Weston is multi-cultural.I love that fact and is one of the reasons I shortlisted the place. But at the same time, i am hoping that i have some people from the Indian community around as well as some Indian grocery stores, etc. Can someone confirm?
3. I see a lot of houses in the Bonaventure area which seem relatively cheap. Is there a reason i should stay away from that place?
4. Are there areas other than Weston which you think may work for me as well?

Looking forward to your responses!

Revolta

Welcome to Weston!

My wife is from CT (Woodbridge). We moved to Weston in 2000 and been here ever since - loving it!

I actually commute to Cypress Creek every day. Decent commute, especially now that we have Express Lanes on I-595 that start in Weston and end in Fort Lauderdale - no exits between,

Bonaventure is nice. It used to be a separate city and is older than Weston. But there are some Bonaventure areas about the same age as some Weston areas. A few years ago, Bonaventure became a part of Weston and they made it look just as nice as the rest of Weston. There is nothing wrong with Bonaventure at all, except one thing - high school kids there don't get to go to Weston's Cypress Bay High. They are zoned for Davie's Western High. It is a good school, just not as highly rated as Cypress Bay.

I have had Indian neighbors in Weston over the years in different parts of Weston, and there are some Indian temples just outside of Weston. But as far as Indian grocery stores - no, we don't have any.

Other good areas are Cooper City and Parkland and some parts of Western Davie and Western Pembroke Pines. And also a sliver of Sunrise which is right next to Weston.

Parkland is super nice, but would be too far for someone who has to commute to Coral Gables.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:23 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,602,077 times
You may want to look at Cooper City as well. There is an indian grocery on the edge of Rock Creek (Flamingo Rd. and Sheridan). Been there forever. If you end up in Weston, it's only a 15 - 20 minute drive to an indian grocery, among other things. We certainly have it.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 18,082 times
Thanks Ruski and BNBR. As long as there is something within 15 to 20 mins, i think I am good. Any specific communities you recommend in Weston based on the rental price range?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 AM

240 posts, read 259,972 times
South Florida has become a another New York City. That said, Jupiter is the best area today to live. Unless you are thick skinned, pushy and even rude, then I would not move to the area. Just my opinion. You have been warned.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
South Florida has become a another New York City. That said, Jupiter is the best area today to live. Unless you are thick skinned, pushy and even rude, then I would not move to the area. Just my opinion. You have been warned.
Last time I drove through Jupiter (few months ago) - I saw tons of poor people. Looked like laborers, everywhere. I think every area has it's ups and downs and Jupiter is nice, but nothing special. It certainly has it's less desirable areas, like anywhere else.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolta View Post
Thanks Ruski and BNBR. As long as there is something within 15 to 20 mins, i think I am good. Any specific communities you recommend in Weston based on the rental price range?
Ruski will have better recommendations. I'm much more familiar with Davie and Cooper City. I think you can just jump on Realtor, Apartments, or Zillow and see what you like. Zillow will show you the schools that the place is zoned for also. Then come down and check them out. Unlike other areas, I don't know, like Jupiter..... Weston is entirely desirable, so you don't need to worry much about being in the wrong neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 PM

3,142 posts, read 3,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Ruski will have better recommendations. I'm much more familiar with Davie and Cooper City. I think you can just jump on Realtor, Apartments, or Zillow and see what you like. Zillow will show you the schools that the place is zoned for also. Then come down and check them out. Unlike other areas, I don't know, like Jupiter..... Weston is entirely desirable, so you don't need to worry much about being in the wrong neighborhood.
Agreed. You will have more choices in the Bonaventure section of Weston as most of the properties are villas, condos and townhomes. You wrote your kids are in elementary--all the elementary schools in Weston are highly rated by Great Schools so no need to worry about one area versus another. If you want to quibble, I think the lowest rated one is Country Isles, rated an 8 -- which is still a nice rating. Good luck! What is nice about Weston is that you won't go wrong choosing any neighborhood. What buyers/renters find limiting is their budget.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
If you want to quibble, I think the lowest rated one is Country Isles, rated an 8
Hey bro. What's the deal?

Do you have a problem with us Davie folk?

Old 09-11-2016, 09:15 AM

623 posts, read 957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Last time I drove through Jupiter (few months ago) - I saw tons of poor people. Looked like laborers, everywhere. I think every area has it's ups and downs and Jupiter is nice, but nothing special. It certainly has it's less desirable areas, like anywhere else.
Yes Jupiter is terrible poor people and working people everywhere please don't move here esp you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area