Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,658 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating in the fall from Mystic, CT where we both work in tipped restaurant positions and make a pretty good living doing so. Is it difficult for an experienced server/bartender to find employment there and what can one expect to average in a regular work week? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 AM

23 posts, read 117,397 times
My husband and I have worked in the hospitality industry here for 6 years now and I can tell you it's not what it once was. The night club he manages has been struggling to keep servers for the last year, especially at night, when the drink prices and inflated. It seems no one wants to pay $12 for a drink, never mind tipping you for bringing it. Most places have been closing their doors or switching hands.

Miami was the place to work when everyone was living off credit and charging whatever they wanted, three years ago. I'm not saying that you won't find jobs here or make money here; Your experience will help you find a job quick, because most places won't hire otherwise. Just realize that there is a high cost of living, and you may not make any more than you're currently getting and your bills will be higher.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I have been hearing that the cost of living there is high but researching it seems that the cost of living is only 75% of what it is here in Mystic, CT.
Do you find that you and your husband are able to live a comfortable lifestyle in the industry or are you struggling in the down economy?
Here, winters can be tough for us as tourism only helps us out 4 months out of the year and the cost of home heating has become astronomically high but we are generally able to pay our bills and enjoy going out a few times a week. I would say that a year round average tip income between the two of us working 4-5 nights per week is about $700 each per week. Is this comparable to what one with experience can expect to make down there? Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
*waves from CT, also looking to make the move*

Old 04-28-2010, 02:13 PM

What part of CT are you from?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,904 times
There are places where you can make $700+/week each. However, nowadays those are few and far between and definitely not a safe bet.

I waited tables for years at many decent establishments. At one point earning $1000 - $1100+/week. When I quit my income was closer to $500 and after trying a few different restaurants it became painfully obvious how hard it is to make that here. Especially as a new employee as you probably already know, new servers don't get the best shifts/sections.

HOWEVER. If you are good, and aggressively seek out a solid position at a solid restaurant, the money is still there, just much harder to find now. You will be hard pressed to find a position outside of landmark restaurants where $700/week is attainable with 4 shifts.

If you are Ruth's Chris caliber server then you may have an easier time pulling this off. If you are Applebees caliber, then good luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the reply... kinda hard to believe the industry is so bleak in such a tourist type area...
Is it not customary down there for people to tip 20%?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,904 times
European, South American, and Canadian tourists tip poorly and are generally rude. Which is why most establishments on South Beach add tip.

It's more about volume at a touristy restaurant. As I mentioned, if you can pick up a job at a landmark restaurant with big time checks - Smith and Wollensky, Ruth's Chris, and some of the others, then you can do well. If not, it can be tough.

You shouldn't have a problem pulling minimum $500 week almost anywhere you go, though. I don't want to be so negative, because this industry is hit or miss, there are restaurants out there where you can make a killing, just harder to find now.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 AM

That's awesome that they add the gratuity. I know I personally cringe when I approach a table and hear the dreaded British accent... or worse, FRENCH!
I have heard stories about bartenders being able to make upwards of 1k per night in high volume places down there which would have been awesome for me a few years ago but in my old age of 31 (yikes!) I prefer to be in the civilized field of fine dining. Good to hear that there is opportunity to make a living that way in the area. Thanks again for the info... I feel better now knowing that it's not absolute doom and gloom in the industry as long as you can qualify at a decent establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: