Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am convinced that happiness in SFl is directly related to a short commute to any key areas such as schools and work.
Agree 110%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Agree 110%
ditto ! This makes a HUGE difference in quality of life. One of the exact reasons I moved to Davie.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Chels is from New York. She gets it. Moreover - she was responding to the characterization of Miramar as "ghetto." East Miramar may be run down and economically challenged, but its not Cabrini Green. Isles of Sunset Lakes is a great community that isnt very well known - with a good choice of homes - a bit large for some, but very nice; and a good commute for OP. I am convinced that happiness in SFl is directly related to a short commute to any key areas such as schools and work.
This is exactly the point that I was trying to make...Weston, Southwest Ranches, etc are "better" and definitely worth the slightly longer commute if the OP was looking for public schools, but when you remove the school element, theres nothing wrong with west Miramar and Pines is pretty much exactly the same, except with more traffic. There are a few communities to avoid in both areas, while most of them are very decent. Even on the east sides of 75, there are mostly nice communities in both cities (Pembroke Falls and Pembroke Lakes in Pines and Huntington and Country Club Acres in Miramar). Miramar does have more areas to avoid, but they are irrelevant to the OP, and even much of the east side isn't anything to be scared of if you aren't afraid of working class black people. I would simply go for where one could get the best house for the money, combined with the shortest commute, whether they find a house in Weston, Pines, or somewhere in west Miramar.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM

sunset lakes in miramar is the last nice pocket in miramar. Forget distance...living in most of miramar is not worth it IMO

Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 AM

99 posts, read 304,180 times
I think that the best place to live for this person would be either Weston, Plantation, Davie, Southwest Ranches - all of them have easy access to Catholic schools, and are a short commute from a job in Miramar. One bit of caution regarding working in Miramar and living in West Miramar, I am always told of the backups that occur on Miramar Parkway heading east. Sounds really problematic and a pain to deal with. As for rentals now - they are not buying, and diversity, I think Plantation has a diversified population - its more central, has lots of rental options, and is nice to live in. Better than Pembroke Pines...

Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
Chelsa,

You clearly haven't been around Broward much towards downtown and Pompano Beach. There are very dangerous, ghetto areas. I have done a police ride along in Pompano, there are areas I wouldn't recommend driving through. Most people are just oblivious to it.
VR - I have not been there nor do I want to go there but I'm hard pressed to believe it looks like the ghettos I'm familiar with - I imagine that you haven't been to east new York or sunset (gunset) Brooklyn - and can you honestly say the area you just spoke of is like carol city?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
This is exactly the point that I was trying to make...Weston, Southwest Ranches, etc are "better" and definitely worth the slightly longer commute if the OP was looking for public schools, but when you remove the school element, theres nothing wrong with west Miramar and Pines is pretty much exactly the same, except with more traffic. There are a few communities to avoid in both areas, while most of them are very decent. Even on the east sides of 75, there are mostly nice communities in both cities (Pembroke Falls and Pembroke Lakes in Pines and Huntington and Country Club Acres in Miramar). Miramar does have more areas to avoid, but they are irrelevant to the OP, and even much of the east side isn't anything to be scared of if you aren't afraid of working class black people. I would simply go for where one could get the best house for the money, combined with the shortest commute, whether they find a house in Weston, Pines, or somewhere in west Miramar.
love you compelled - great honest post - I'm terrified of working class black people - Working anything in this climate is a plus - thanks!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
love you compelled - great honest post - I'm terrified of working class black people - Working anything in this climate is a plus - thanks!

Chelsa....its not the race, it's the crime. West Miramar with the exception of Sunset Lakes (a tiny pocket) is getting worse in regards to CRIME. Trust me....I know what I am talking about.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Chelsa....its not the race, it's the crime. West Miramar with the exception of Sunset Lakes (a tiny pocket) is getting worse in regards to CRIME. Trust me....I know what I am talking about.
Compared to what? Don't you work for that city? I think if you work for any city, you are going to see the various bad elements that the everyday resident might see. You are going to know about every burglary or every drug deal and what not. You would be surprised what is going on in Davie, too, but when compared to the average, it's (sadly) not atypical. Davie and Miramar both have very similar overall crime rates, just to make a comparison. Still, an everyday resident who chooses the right individual neighborhood (some are definitely better than others) and locks their doors and is aware of their surroundings isn't likely to have any problem with crime in west Miramar. I'm not saying that it's the best area to locate to, but in comparison to many places, it's one of the better ones, not worst.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-06-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Compared to what? Don't you work for that city? I think if you work for any city, you are going to see the various bad elements that the everyday resident might see. You are going to know about every burglary or every drug deal and what not. You would be surprised what is going on in Davie, too, but when compared to the average, it's (sadly) not atypical. Davie and Miramar both have very similar overall crime rates, just to make a comparison. Still, an everyday resident who chooses the right individual neighborhood (some are definitely better than others) and locks their doors and is aware of their surroundings isn't likely to have any problem with crime in west Miramar.

no compelled...I don't work for davie or miramar. I do know others that do. you and I will never see eye to eye on this issue as you are always defending Miramar with a passion when I am trying to warn others to stay away. I did live in Miramar, so I can speak as an ex-resident that our area had break in's left and right....car vandalism left and right.......we decided to move because of the crime. My last straw was when I was sitting in my home office looking out on the street in front of our home. It was starting to rain a little. A white car with limo tints parked across from our house and just sat there....nobody got out. My car was in the garage...so it looked like nobody was home. I thought it was peculiar, so I called the police. They came....and when they tried to run the guys tag....the white car with the limo tints peeled out and took off like a bat out of hell ! I followed up with PD and they told me that the car had crossed into Dade County and it started raining a little bit more, so they decided to not pursue him. That's when I said I was outta there ! No regrets. I think the thieves use Miramar as an advantage since they can cross into Dade County and it becomes much more difficult for police to catch them. This, and the economy turning sour, has produced a recent crime wave in Miramar. It just keeps getting worse and worse. But again, just my opinion. My next door neighbor in Davie is a retired pines cop....he fills me in everday about the status of our neighborhood. We are doing just fine....although we did have one break in and several vehicles with their windows smashed and valuables stolen. That was about a year ago...it only lasted a week. I am very keen and aware of crime in Davie....i know east davie is bad. But I also know west Davie is not even close to the amount of crime in west Miramar. Comparing west davie and west miramar is like comparing fiji apples with asparagus.

But....each to their own. That's what makes city-data a great place ! I can always count on you, Compelled, for a rebuttal anytime I warn people about the crime in Miramar. lol. That is for certain !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area