Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,112 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Florida from Atlanta. My husband will be working in Miramar. He is used to commuting so we don't need to live right in Miramar. We have our 2 boys ages 5 and 7 in catholic school here so would like to continue with that. We want to rent in an affordable area close to a nice catholic school. Our current school is very middle class and diverse and we want the same. Just a nice community where we can meet friends fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
He is probably working off Miramar Parkway near i75 - if so there are a number of communities in the area - I would recommend Isles of Sunset Lakes in West Miramar - the community is nice and probably quite reasonable now. The schools are good also there was a Catholic Church on Miramar Parkway - west of 75 across from Target - that may have a school.

Other good options Weston and St. Marks school (off Flamingo blvd in davie); Cooper City, Pembroke Pines (St. Marks is close to all the areas I have suggested)

Old 04-30-2010, 08:13 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,417 times
Yeahhhhh. You won't want to actually LIVE in Miramar. West Miramar is fine to work in, but living in Miramar is another story.

The good thing is, as StilltheSame mentioned, your husband is most likely working in West Miramar near I-75. Which means you can head up the highway only about 3 minutes and be in West Pembroke Pines, Southwest Ranches, or Weston. All fine places to live and raise a family - with good schools, including the ones mentioned on Flamingo Road virtually in Southwest Ranches.

I know you mentioned "diverse" - but understand "diverse" in Florida is MUCH different than diverse in Atlanta. I think you will be satisfied though with the catholic schools in Cooper City.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
Yeahhhhh. You won't want to actually LIVE in Miramar. West Miramar is fine to work in, but living in Miramar is another story.

The good thing is, as StilltheSame mentioned, your husband is most likely working in West Miramar near I-75. Which means you can head up the highway only about 3 minutes and be in West Pembroke Pines, Southwest Ranches, or Weston. All fine places to live and raise a family - with good schools, including the ones mentioned on Flamingo Road virtually in Southwest Ranches.

Weston and Southwest Ranches are objectively nicer, but don't really see a difference in Pines. Just as there is some section 8 in Nautica and a part of Monarch Lakes, there is some in the Pines section of Silver Lakes too. There is nothing wrong with Sunset Lakes, the sections of Silver Lakes that are in Miramar, Silver Shores, and even on the east side of 75 there is nothing wrong with Huntington, Country Club Acres, Triolgy, and even the rest of Monarch Lakes. These areas are exactly the same, and in a few cases a tad nicer than Pines in terms of being less congested. Between the two, I would just go for wherever one could find a nicer house for the money, considering they are very similar price wise too, as is Cooper City, and even Weston honestly.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM
vr2

After living here for awhile, it becomes apparent that Miramar rolls of the tongue as "ghetto" - even West Miramar.

I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't recommend it. Miramar is a declining city. I wouldn't particularly recommend Pines either although WAY out West in Pines near 27 is quite reasonable. If I were to make a choice on where to live out that way, it's Southwest Ranches or Weston all the way.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times
Weston all the way as VR2 mentions....

Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,517 times
I have to admit I didn't want west miramar for the very same reason VR mentioned - however I wouldn't really classify mirimar as ghetto more seedy than anything - carol city to me is more of a ghetto - broward doesn't really suffer from that whole ghetto thing that you might have pictured in your head - kids who dress "HOOD" are just that kids who dress the part not necessarily play the part.

Now, you mentioned diverse - I have not found a city in Broward as diverse as PP - Weston is gorgeous and schools are great - cooper city to me was just very bland - and well the schools do not perform much better than PP - for schools - Weston wins hands down - but if you want pretty good schools with a diverse area PP is you area.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:30 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,307 times
Yeah, I agree with Chelsa. Pembroke Pines is swell and only a 10 minute commute for your husband. No reason to live anywhere else.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
vr2

Chelsa,

You clearly haven't been around Broward much towards downtown and Pompano Beach. There are very dangerous, ghetto areas. I have done a police ride along in Pompano, there are areas I wouldn't recommend driving through. Most people are just oblivious to it.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
Chelsa,

You clearly haven't been around Broward much towards downtown and Pompano Beach. There are very dangerous, ghetto areas.
Chels is from New York. She gets it. Moreover - she was responding to the characterization of Miramar as "ghetto." East Miramar may be run down and economically challenged, but its not Cabrini Green. Isles of Sunset Lakes is a great community that isnt very well known - with a good choice of homes - a bit large for some, but very nice; and a good commute for OP. I am convinced that happiness in SFl is directly related to a short commute to any key areas such as schools and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area