Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,803,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
You're probably right, but you still have to get on I75, right?Anyways, the bookstore thing is a small negative compared to the many positives of Weston. I've also heard they are planning to build a large shopping/entertainment area called The Commons, off Royal Palm Blvd and 75, that should make it easier to go out without having to get on the interstate.
Yeah-but they are planning the project with ONE entrance so it will probably take more time to get in/out than it will take to just get on the interstate. What is the big deal about the interstate? It's just a road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 PM

115 posts, read 336,119 times
I know it's just a road, but it makes me feel like I am going to a totally different city for any kind of shopping other than groceries. I like to have Target, Best Buy, Marshalls, Whole Foods, Barnes and Noble, DSW, Ross, Home Depot, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, etc. within say 5 miles of my house.I go to at least one of them at least once a day. I'm not talking about malls with Macys/Nordsrtom/VictoriasSecret etc, I can drive 10 miles one way once a week no problem. And how about a nice indoor movie theater?
I do believe there is a Home Depot in Weston, right?
Is it true that they don't like to put all these stores in Weston so they don't have a lot of outsiders flocking into weston to do their shopping?
If Weston had some great shopping, and even a mini-Pembroke Gardens type of mall, it would be at the top of my list of places to live in the country. It would be just like Irvine CA but with the tropical feel!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I know it's just a road, but it makes me feel like I am going to a totally different city for any kind of shopping other than groceries. I like to have Target, Best Buy, Marshalls, Whole Foods, Barnes and Noble, DSW, Ross, Home Depot, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, etc. within say 5 miles of my house.I go to at least one of them at least once a day. I'm not talking about malls with Macys/Nordsrtom/VictoriasSecret etc, I can drive 10 miles one way once a week no problem. And how about a nice indoor movie theater?
Is it true that they don't like to put all these stores in Weston so they don't have a lot of outsiders flocking into weston to do their shopping?
If Weston had some great shopping, and even a mini-Pembroke Gardens type of mall, it would be at the top of my list of places to live in the country. It would be just like Irvine CA but with the tropical feel!
I don't think you will like Weston. You have to go on the interstate to go to Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, Toys R Us. It doesn't take long to get to them but you have to go on the interstate.

I really like that Weston has no big box stores. It's quiet here and there is very little traffic on the local roads. Maybe you would like Pembroke Pines better. There is every big box store you can imagine on Pines Blvd.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Try looking into Pembroke Pines. Miami Lakes also has this kind of layout, but it's a shame about the schools.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,675,745 times
Since your oldest is only 5, Plantation could work for quite awhile - nice combo of all the stores being convenient but it's not as congested as Pemb Pines and they're not all on one street. Plus, we have a Barnes & Noble at one end of town and a Borders at the other. Elementary schools are excellent, and Seminole Middle is an A school. By high school people either move or send their kids to private/parochial. Great parks and sports programs too. I live there and Momma Bear is soon moving here from Weston.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Yeah-but they are planning the project with ONE entrance so it will probably take more time to get in/out than it will take to just get on the interstate. What is the big deal about the interstate? It's just a road.

The last I heard was that this project was dead .. due to traffic issues and opposition from both Weston and Davie residents . Is it on the drawing board again ?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Since your oldest is only 5, Plantation could work for quite awhile - nice combo of all the stores being convenient but it's not as congested as Pemb Pines and they're not all on one street. Plus, we have a Barnes & Noble at one end of town and a Borders at the other. Elementary schools are excellent, and Seminole Middle is an A school. By high school people either move or send their kids to private/parochial. Great parks and sports programs too. I live there and Momma Bear is soon moving here from Weston.
I never paid to much attention to Plantation as I drove by it on University Drive from time to time .... but we have some friends who just moved near Plantation Acres from down in Aventura and they love it .... we had some dinner with them in a place called Mid Town Plantation and I was very surprised how nice , upscale and green the entire area is

Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
The last I heard was that this project was dead .. due to traffic issues and opposition from both Weston and Davie residents . Is it on the drawing board again ?
I don't really know. I think it was tabled but not dead. I personally think it is a really bad idea. Can you imagine a mall the size of Broward Mall with entrance/exit all coming from one place?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I remember that at one point there was a plan to build a new HS in Plantation. What ever happened to that plan? The city has a lot in Plantation Acres designated as a HS site.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 AM

115 posts, read 336,119 times
Plantation doesn't sound bad at all. I'll have to check it out. What's the easiest way to get to the beach? Broward blvd. to Las Olas? Does it have any nice gated communities, Weston style, with nice clubhouses, sidewalks, lakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area