Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 17,450 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I am very glad I found this site.

I am looking forward to moving into Plantation, Fl right by 595 come July.

But my work location is based out of Doral, Fl. I am looking for any insight into what type of commute I am looking at and if there is any routes to avoid?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by QMGSaint; 05-17-2010 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:16 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
This commute would not be too bad under most circumstances. I would take 595 west bound to I-75, then exit to the southbound turnpike extension, and exit at one of the Doral exits. This could take as little as 40 minutes if it is right off of the turnpike near 41st st or as long as an hour if it is closer to the 826. As far as traffic, you would be heading the opposite direction of the rush on I-595 and have smooth sailing, unless there is an accident. If there is, you could use Broward Blvd as an alternate to 595 or meet with I-75 at Griffin Rd. On I-75, you would be going with the rush hour flow and it is very busy, but it is generally moving at the 70 MPH speed limit, with an occasional bottleneck down to 55 mph or so that sometimes occurs right before the turnpike. If there is an accident on I-75, this can suck, but you could take Flamingo Rd south as an alternate and meet back up with I-75, or at worst, take it straight down to the turnpike extension at Red Rd. This can add an extra 10-15 minutes. The turnpike itself is basically open-road driving, and cruising speed is 70-75 mph, but there is a toll. Accidents don't happen too frequently, although when they do, you are pretty much stuck with no alternates. The biggest traffic issue is in Doral itself off of the highway, and if you have to head towards the 826, add 10 minutes for every mile east of the turnpike.

I would avoid the 826/Palmetto at all costs, no matter what.

All and all, this is USUALLY a pretty painless (if long) commute, but plan for at least an hour in case of accidents.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
The problem is there there is always something going on and there are almost always accidents. 595 construction has begun and is going to get worse for the next couple of years. Why Plantation ? Do you really have your heart on Plantation ? If I were working in Doral, I would look to live much closer.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM

I am moving up to Plantation due to my fiance going to school at the FAU campus in downtown fort lauderdale. I wanted to stay as west as I could to stay closer to I-75 and turnpike. I want to avoid 95 and 826 as much as possible.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM

65 posts, read 244,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
This commute would not be too bad under most circumstances. I would take 595 west bound to I-75, then exit to the southbound turnpike extension, and exit at one of the Doral exits. This could take as little as 40 minutes if it is right off of the turnpike near 41st st or as long as an hour if it is closer to the 826. As far as traffic, you would be heading the opposite direction of the rush on I-595 and have smooth sailing, unless there is an accident. If there is, you could use Broward Blvd as an alternate to 595 or meet with I-75 at Griffin Rd. On I-75, you would be going with the rush hour flow and it is very busy, but it is generally moving at the 70 MPH speed limit, with an occasional bottleneck down to 55 mph or so that sometimes occurs right before the turnpike. If there is an accident on I-75, this can suck, but you could take Flamingo Rd south as an alternate and meet back up with I-75, or at worst, take it straight down to the turnpike extension at Red Rd. This can add an extra 10-15 minutes. The turnpike itself is basically open-road driving, and cruising speed is 70-75 mph, but there is a toll. Accidents don't happen too frequently, although when they do, you are pretty much stuck with no alternates. The biggest traffic issue is in Doral itself off of the highway, and if you have to head towards the 826, add 10 minutes for every mile east of the turnpike.

I would avoid the 826/Palmetto at all costs, no matter what.

All and all, this is USUALLY a pretty painless (if long) commute, but plan for at least an hour in case of accidents.

Like yourself, I will be moving to Plantation in July and will live close to 595.

I currently live in Pembroke Pines and take the I-75 to turnpike route described by Compelled to Reply to reach my job on Miller and Galloway (exit at Bird Road - another 10-15 minutes from the Doral exit mentioned above). This has been my commute for the past 14 years.

Compelled to Reply gave you very good routes to take to reach your destination and is pretty much correct on the traffic pattern.

In the case of an accident, an alternate route to get to the turnpike is to get off at Pines Blvd West and head to US-27. Taking US-27 East will lead you right to the turnpike and the Doral exit is just 1 exit after the Okeechobee toll. Accidents on US-27 are quite rare.

Be prepared to learn the back route to the area because 1 accident on I-75 or the turnpike causes a HUGE headache.

Do remember that anytime the kids are out of school - Traffic is great.
Don't rule out using 826 on these days - depending on where you work in Doral it might be easier than the turnpike.

Any other time 826 is a nightmare but they are ways to get around that as well.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
I used to commute from Weston to Doral for 3 years. But that was back before Miramar and Doral were not very well developed yet.

I used to take Route 27 to Turnpike to 41st Street Exit. Back then it used to take me ~40 minutes.

Route 27 has a few more lights now (compared to only one light back in early 2000's).

Also Route 27 is very dirty from all the trucks carrying limestone from quarries.

Also Route 27 doesn't have normal exits and entrances - just four way intersections with Stop signs. I have seen a few people miss those stop signs.

I still preferred to take Route 27 South in the mornings.

Coming home from Doral I preferred to use I-75, for some reason it was OK going North in the evenings.

From Plantation, reaching all the way to Route 27 willl add another 5-10 minutes to your commute as you will need to go on I-75 North (actually at that point it is really going West past Weston) but there is no traffic on that stretch, just watch out for cops.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Awesome info everyone, thank you very much!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Accidents on Route 27 are rare, but are very common on Krome Avenue (offshoot from Route 27), and can cause a back up on Route 27 itself.

Another possible way (use it as a backup) - take Flamingo all the way South to Red Road and then to Turnpilke. Flamingo actually moves. Also do-able on the way back. Wouldn't do it every day, but it is a good backup plan.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:53 PM

I think they are also adding another exit in Doral area, before 41st street.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Another possible way (use it as a backup) - take Flamingo all the way South to Red Road and then to Turnpilke. Flamingo actually moves. Also do-able on the way back. Wouldn't do it every day, but it is a good backup plan.
Something to consider about this route- Flamingo probably has the most horrendously synchronized traffic lights in the county, although the volume is pretty light at any time. From 595 to the turnpike extension is a solid (but predictable) 20 minutes. If you get lucky with the lights (almost never), it might only take 12-14 minutes, though. Also, watch out for the Miramar cops as soon as you go around the bend on Red Rd heading south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area