Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

Our real estate agent pushed us to offer close to list price so that we can get a contract for South Florida home. She said in an email "we shall use appraisal as our negotiating tool and escape." We got the contract but appraisal surprisingly came very high and when we contested, lender called our agent who said "appraisal is accurate" although she told us she was surprised as well. Now we are stuck with the house. It is really not our fault.

We also tried to cancel contract after inspection having found several issues as well as open permits thinking exactly this scenario and we were also told (within our inspection exit period) that we cannot get out and that we are stuck.

We are since in emotional roller coster. Sometime feeling to just go with it and not have to hassle with attorneys and other times we want to suit him so we are not stuck with a house we dont want. How can we get out of contract? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
sue her and make sure she loses her license ! what a shame to the profession

Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
In Florida you can DEFINITELY cancel a contract if you're not satisfied with the inspection and for ANY reason. I would just refuse to close. At this point they would have to sue you for specific performance which they wouldnt dare esp with this history. Get an attorney immediately to start writing nasty letters demanding your good faith deposit back. They'll back down and no lawsuit will be necessary. Do not be intimidated. Another option may be if you're on good terms with your mortgage broker to just get him to write a letter that you weren't approved (if necessary just tell him you lost your job) - this would only work if you have a financing contingency (this is built in and would only be removed if you had offered to pay cash).

Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
In Florida you can DEFINITELY cancel a contract if you're not satisfied with the inspection and for ANY reason. I would just refuse to close. At this point they would have to sue you for specific performance which they wouldnt dare esp with this history. Get an attorney immediately to start writing nasty letters demanding your good faith deposit back. They'll back down and no lawsuit will be necessary. Do not be intimidated. Another option may be if you're on good terms with your mortgage broker to just get him to write a letter that you weren't approved (if necessary just tell him you lost your job) - this would only work if you have a financing contingency (this is built in and would only be removed if you had offered to pay cash).
Agreed.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
You absolutely can get out of it from the inspection, open permits can be a nightmare.
who told you you couldn't get out of the deal? the agent that "helped" you so far?

Get another agent and back them up with an RE attorney.... the outcome will be different.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM

65 posts, read 244,792 times
I have also had my realtor tell us the same thing about getting out of a contract during the inspection period and we did it.

Just last year (October) we opted out of a house due to what the inspector found.

Are you still within your inspection period?

If I were you I would ask that someone put in writing that you are not able to walk away even if you are not happy with the inspection. I bet you no one will.

Also, find a Real Estate lawyer ASAP.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM

423 posts, read 1,643,093 times
There are several times when I have had my clients come out of contract due to findings in the inspection (sometimes even with minor issues). Please read the contract again to make sure what is allowed in the contract.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,825 times
Don't listen to the agent, who is apparently not working on your best interest.

Can you read English?

If so, read the contract from top to bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area