U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM

5,556 posts, read 7,195,255 times

Advertisements

So says the local paper. The authorities are claiming that this will help in catching car thieves, victims of abductions and other uses for getway cars. On the surface this sounds great, but I have a sneaky feeling this will be a better way to grab the "low lying fruit." Think about it, how often will they catch the big fish they are looking for compared to the thousands of people driving around (in desperation) without proper insurance and/or registration? Not to mention those driving around with warrants out for their arrests for minor offenses. The boon of tickets will bring in tons of cash for the cities/counties.

Perhaps this might be the intial intention, but I have a feeling that in short time, these cameras will be used to terrorize the everyday Floridian trying to get from point A to B to make ends meet even the unsuspecting ones.

This is my opinion. What are yours?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,086,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
So says the local paper. The authorities are claiming that this will help in catching car thieves, victims of abductions and other uses for getway cars. On the surface this sounds great, but I have a sneaky feeling this will be a better way to grab the "low lying fruit." Think about it, how often will they catch the big fish they are looking for compared to the thousands of people driving around (in desperation) without proper insurance and/or registration? Not to mention those driving around with warrants out for their arrests for minor offenses. The boon of tickets will bring in tons of cash for the cities/counties.

Perhaps this might be the intial intention, but I have a feeling that in short time, these cameras will be used to terrorize the everyday Floridian trying to get from point A to B to make ends meet even the unsuspecting ones.

This is my opinion. What are yours?
I think yours is spot-on.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,223,230 times
I think it's a good idea...if you have nothing to hide, why worry ??? Doral police was the 1st to start with this about a year ago....other departments are catching on.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,086,394 times
I'm sure the idea is to catch expired registrations. Since the fees went up, Im sure many people are not renewing.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,319,178 times
How would this "terrorize" us? You still can't be pulled over without legal cause, and if there is legal cause (like...er...you're breaking the law) they have a duty to bother you anyway!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM

154 posts, read 499,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
How would this "terrorize" us? You still can't be pulled over without legal cause, and if there is legal cause (like...er...you're breaking the law) they have a duty to bother you anyway!
Your right hurricaneman.

Also, don't forget: Since property taxes are down, so are city revenues. Now I'm not sure about BSO but towns are hurting so any type of revenue will help. I stay above the law and have nothing to hide so I don't worry about it.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Sure, one supposedly should have nothing to worry about if they have everything is up to par, however, for all the financially strapped folks in car intense Florida, living from check to check who might be a check or two from being able to update that tag, woe be unto them. Florida is NOT NY with mass transit all around to escape being possibly being pulled over until you can afford to take care of such issues. Most people HAVE to drive to get to work, pick up kids, do their work and so on. It becomes a catch-22 and a big chance. This new system is bound to catch many who would not have been caught just by a cop happening up behind them. KACHING!!!

They say these cameras can "read" a tag from some 50 feet away from different directions or something to that effect. The official word might be that they are trying to catch bad guys, but when all is said and done, the "bad guys" are going to be your neighbor, co-worker, best friend an so on. There is LOTS of potential money in pulling someone over because it can start with a ticket and end with a court date with a few hours stay in jail and a towed car. All producing money for "the system."

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM

389 posts, read 959,673 times
I have no problem with it. I have nothing to hide.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 AM

154 posts, read 499,630 times
Don't forget: Driving is a privilege not a right.

Last edited by southfl1; 06-03-2010 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: got that wrong!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfl1 View Post
Don't forget: Driving is a privilege not a right.
I see you are right in the same community where my kids live with my ex. They are closer to Rock Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area