Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM

44 posts, read 251,257 times

Advertisements

I´ve been hearing that everywhere, that if you´re not in Las Olas Boulevard then it is very boring. How exciting is the Las Olas Boulevard? I´m from NYC, and I know that Miami Beach is more livelier, but will a NY´er be so culture shocked living in Fort Lauderdale?? If I lived in a townhome in East Lauderdale a mile from the beach will I be bored? I cant wait to go for the first time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Las Olas is exciting if you are from Staten Island and if you live work and hang out on S.I. If you are from one of the other boroughs you may find Las Olas "cute". Miami beats Fort Lauderdale hands down in terms of things to do

Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 PM

268 posts, read 900,115 times
Wild Style is ( as usual ) 100% correct....

Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,511 times
I thought any New Yorker that moves down here would feel right at home because the majority of the people here are from there. Boring is a state of mind because everything is just a stone throw away from activities around here.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
I thought any New Yorker that moves down here would feel right at home because the majority of the people here are from there. Boring is a state of mind because everything is just a stone throw away from activities around here.
Fort Lauderdale doesn't come close to offering even a quarter of the amenities NYC has to offer. As I said, if you are from Staten Island and you never ever leave Staten Island, maybe then you will find Fort Lauderdale to be great. Anyone from a true city (NYC, Chicago, Boston etc.) who loves to do the things city life affords will not like Fort Lauderdale. I have tons of friends who have come down here and left in record time because they expected it to be like NYC in terms of amenties and mentalities.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:57 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,153 times
NYC has its own vibe and flavor like nowhere else. It would not be the "Big Apple" without it. How can anyone expect to recreate NYC somewhere else? Florida does not offer true big city life and amenities. It is more for the warm weather and beaches.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 PM

44 posts, read 251,257 times
The thing is, Miami Beach (the area itself above 5000 Collins) is the same in the number of activities as Fort Lauderdale no? As you get closer to south Beach, and Aventura (high north and high south) there are more activities. What about in the actual area of Miami Beach itself?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
What is boring for you? Anyways you can hang out & live in either city. People often commute back and forth during the weekend. It's not that far.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
The most boring thing to us was that the sand was so hot we could not stand to stay on the beach. Why go to the beach when you can't go to the beach.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:31 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Fort Lauderdale doesn't come close to offering even a quarter of the amenities NYC has to offer. As I said, if you are from Staten Island and you never ever leave Staten Island, maybe then you will find Fort Lauderdale to be great. Anyone from a true city (NYC, Chicago, Boston etc.) who loves to do the things city life affords will not like Fort Lauderdale. I have tons of friends who have come down here and left in record time because they expected it to be like NYC in terms of amenties and mentalities.
This is true of ANYWHERE in the U.S. outside of NYC. I lived in NYC for a few years and moved to San Francisco...and I found SF to be incredibly boring and lacking so many things comparitively.

In short, it isn't that Fort Lauderdale is boring...it isn't. It's that if someone has come from NYC, then it is hard for anywhere in the U.S. to compete with NYC on the same level.

From NYC, the only logical way to go is international, if someone wants more of NYC but different scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area