U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 14,254 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just a got a new job in Boca Raton and we're trying to select some areas to live. We're young professionals (early 30s) and looking for an apartment, rent around $1200. We would like to live in an area with people around our age, not a family-oriented area, walking distance/a bikeride away from (preferrably non-chain)restaurants, shops, etc. And ofcourse a low crime area.

I will be flying every week for work, so want to be max. 30mins from the airport.

So far we read that Fort Lauderdale was younger but also that the commute to Boca Raton would be bad. Does anyone have some advice on what places/areas to look?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 PM

233 posts, read 468,210 times
The commute isn't that bad. I would go with fort lauderdale for sure based on what you stated. Boca is generally very nice and safe but not really a happening place. Its called God's waiting room for a reason. Fort Lauderdale has alot more going on. Plus Fort Lauderdale is also closer than Boca to a major international airport, Fort Lauderdale Int'l, and usually takes less fifteen minutes even for the farthest areas of north Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is much more active and IMO more appealing but does have more sketchy neighborhoods than Boca but if your around US1 your safe. Lauderdale by the Sea is a nice little town on the ocean that is somewhat more pedestrian feel. Ofcourse there's Las Olas area but that area is probably the priciest in South Florida. If you give me some areas in FTL you found possible places I can give you more info.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,076,713 times
Make sure you check out downtown Delray Beach in Palm Beach County. That would be my first choice if I were in your shoes. It's a beach community with cute shops, galleries and restaurants only about 10 minutes north of Boca.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 AM

233 posts, read 468,210 times
^true downtown Delray along Atlantic Avenue is really nice I forgot about that area, although like Fort Lauderdale Delray has its sketchy areas, whereas Boca has very few. Delray seems more happening than Boca but less so than Fort Lauderdale. Delray may be further from Palm Beach international than Boca is from FTL, but I'm not sure. Also Fort Lauderdale is a much larger airport with many more destinations and usually much cheaper than Palm Beach International.

Last edited by sofla951; 06-07-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 09:12 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,414,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
The commute isn't that bad. I would go with fort lauderdale for sure based on what you stated. Boca is generally very nice and safe but not really a happening place. Its called God's waiting room for a reason. Fort Lauderdale has alot more going on. Plus Fort Lauderdale is also closer than Boca to a major international airport, Fort Lauderdale Int'l, and usually takes less fifteen minutes even for the farthest areas of north Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale is much more active and IMO more appealing but does have more sketchy neighborhoods than Boca but if your around US1 your safe. Lauderdale by the Sea is a nice little town on the ocean that is somewhat more pedestrian feel. Ofcourse there's Las Olas area but that area is probably the priciest in South Florida. If you give me some areas in FTL you found possible places I can give you more info.
Thats pretty funny..I have to disagree Boca is NOT Gods Waiting Room, we are in our early 40's with 2 kids and Boca is a great place and certainly far from being DEAD...I agree with Fauve on this one..we go to downtown delray quiet often with the kids and with our friends for dinner and its a great place...and the commute isnt Bad!!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
^true downtown Delray along Atlantic Avenue is really nice I forgot about that area, although like Fort Lauderdale Delray has its sketchy areas, whereas Boca has very few. Delray seems more happening than Boca but less so than Fort Lauderdale. Delray may be further from Palm Beach international than Boca is from FTL, but I'm not sure. Also Fort Lauderdale is a much larger airport with many more destinations and usually much cheaper than Palm Beach International.
I second all your observations here.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Thats pretty funny..I have to disagree Boca is NOT Gods Waiting Room, we are in our early 40's with 2 kids and Boca is a great place and certainly far from being DEAD...I agree with Fauve on this one..we go to downtown delray quiet often with the kids and with our friends for dinner and its a great place...and the commute isnt Bad!!
And, considering you're young, and as long as you're somewhat street-smart savvy (and not like it's even sketchy - just has some pretty firm borders that even outside of, gentrification is slowly taking hold of), I think Delray may be a great option.

And, I agree...everyone I know who lives in Boca is under 50.

Last edited by fauve; 06-07-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM

416 posts, read 1,544,388 times
I would recommend Fort Lauderdale over Delray. If you look in Fort Lauderdale, I would check out downtown, the beach area, Victoria Park, or Rio Vista. Delray Bch isn't bad at all either, but it's a lot smaller than Fort Laud.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
I would recommend Fort Lauderdale over Delray. If you look in Fort Lauderdale, I would check out downtown, the beach area, Victoria Park, or Rio Vista. Delray Bch isn't bad at all either, but it's a lot smaller than Fort Laud.
I agree, but I dont think the commute is worth it with very good options nearby.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:17 PM

32 posts, read 120,049 times
Yea the commute from Ft Lauderdale isn't bad at all. I used to drive my now ex to school in Boca from the Ft Lauderdale area all the time and even when there's traffic, it still runs smoothly, unless there's an accident of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area