Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,063 times

Advertisements

But from a real estate agent point of view, is it relatively easy to find a house under 110K in a decent area in Fort Myers, still? Will this likely be the case in the beginning of next year (if current trends hold steady, of course)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
You can. There are more choices in Cape Coral, though. Having lived in Estero and San Carlos and having most of my family still living in Cape Coral, I would pick Cape Coral over the other areas, though. The bridge doesn't bother me and I think it is worth it because the bang for the buck is so much better.

But, no matter what, I would look at the house in person before buying. Remember, there is a chance of also dealing with Chinese Drywall and you never know who you neighbors are.

Get yourself a good agent. Tell them that you might want to rent for a few months before you buy and see what they can do for you. Keep calling until you find someone that is willing to work with you.

SoFlGal is a wonderful agent, but she doesn't cover that area. She's in Sarasota. And I'm in TN so I can't help.

What the future holds for real estate I cannot predict. Life is too bizarre to ever be able to tell what could happen. Four months ago I would have never imagined that we would have that amazing gusher in the middle of the gulf.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM

320 posts, read 1,129,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You can. There are more choices in Cape Coral, though. Having lived in Estero and San Carlos and having most of my family still living in Cape Coral, I would pick Cape Coral over the other areas, though. The bridge doesn't bother me and I think it is worth it because the bang for the buck is so much better.

But, no matter what, I would look at the house in person before buying. Remember, there is a chance of also dealing with Chinese Drywall and you never know who you neighbors are.

Get yourself a good agent. Tell them that you might want to rent for a few months before you buy and see what they can do for you. Keep calling until you find someone that is willing to work with you.

SoFlGal is a wonderful agent, but she doesn't cover that area. She's in Sarasota. And I'm in TN so I can't help.

What the future holds for real estate I cannot predict. Life is too bizarre to ever be able to tell what could happen. Four months ago I would have never imagined that we would have that amazing gusher in the middle of the gulf.
Before we bought our house in SCP, we looked at Cape Coral and didn't like it too much. Everything seemed busier and there was a lot more traffic. Also, the commute to our jobs (the woman works in Fort Myers and I work in Naples) would have been that much longer. The big perk about Cape Coral, though, is that you have a greater chance living on a canal.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM

46 posts, read 243,103 times
We bought in San Carlos Park in Dec 2008. I was really iffy about the area but have grown to love it. There are sections that are not so nice but then again, SCP is a large area. I have no need to go near those sections. The houses on our street are a mix of old (70's-80's, newer ones built in late 90's and still newer ones built in the 2000s. Everyone maintains their property and we are on a creek (some might call it a drainage area) but it flows into Estero Bay. Ten minutes from airport, close to shopping. We looked at the Cape but something did not grab us about it. And yes, you can still find some bargains in SCP. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM

I lived in SCP for a long time. My MIL still has a house over there and yet she is renting in CC if that tells you anything. Other than Three Oaks, I don't like the vibe at all.

It's true, though. If you have to work in Naples, CC is a terrible commute.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 39,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

This is some good advice.

If you are handy at all or have some cash to invest I would suggest foreclosures. A great agent goes a long way too. I just bought my house a year ago and got a deal of a lifetime and in a great neighborhood. I had to put a little work into it but it was mostly cleaning and easy updates. It was a little frustrating with the bidding wars but after a 2 week vacation I found a home and closed within a month. Some neighborhoods can be shady, I knocked on a couple doors and asked the neighbors about the neighborhood before I put in an offer. Beware of renters. All in all my family and I are very happy and have great neighbors in an older neighborhood. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:38 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,416 times
Like everyone says Estero is very nice, but you might get more for your buck in San Carlos Park. I live in San Carlos Park, and have done so for 3 years. But before buying, I drove through there for about a year. San Carlos does have some seedy areas.....but doesn't everything? Naples has some seedy areas. I know a seedy area in Estero. You just have to be smart about which section you buy in. That's why I drove around. Nothing's ever for sure though. You could buy on a perfect block, and then have the house on either side and behind you foreclose- go for a very low price, and then get god knows what moving in. It's just luck, or luck of. So drive around, don't buy into an already seedy area, and you'll do good. I do love my area- and I'm not in Three oaks. Couldn't afford it at the time. Had I waited........but anyway, I am 10 minutes within anything, but yet don't feel as if I'm in the city. 10 minutes from airport!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:57 PM

I know of that area in Estero, too, and yes, there are decent areas in San Carlos. It is especially good to live there if you don't have a lot of money and work in Naples. The location is very good.

The best advice is to never buy anything sight unseen. Even if someone is checking it out for you. And that goes for every area in the US.

Buckinghomestead brings up a great point and is something I did when I bought my own house. Knock on neighbor's doors. It is all luck and god knows what can move in after you have already bought but don't buy a house and find out five minutes after you move in that you are living next door to someone you wouldn't get in an elevator with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area