Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:21 PM

29 posts, read 57,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I would be #3 on your list.
Owned a home here 1994-98, would never do it again, even during the boom when I was litterally enticed to buy with no $$ down mtgs from billboards, bus stop benches and daily postcards in the mail. I knew all I ever needed to know about home ownership in Cape Coral long before the boom. It's not for me, I'm certain it's wonderful for many others.

That being the case, I'm not a victim of the boom, so I dont have any sour grapes. And no "sinister" motives as there is simply no interest on my part in ever owning a home in Cape Coral. I'm only here because the rent is cheap, much like me, always has been, always will be. It serves it's purpose.

I only mention some of the seemlier sides of the Cape to add some contrast to what would otherwise be a non stop love fest that lures others to their financial doom. You know, those weak-minded you casually speak of with disdain, I suppose.

Congrats on your recent acquisitions, hope you get the whole street, and five more if that's what makes it happen for ya.

Sometimes it those with the holier than thou attitudes that make want to just shut up, and let 'em burn. Makes no difference to me.

YC.......
Thanks for your best wishes.
We're pretty happy with the aquisions we have now, but would be tickled pink to be in a position to acquire more.

Sorry about your 1994-98 experince, and thanks for feeling the need to be among those who point out what they deem as the seemlier side of the Cape, lord knows there isnt enough of those around these parts.

Hope wherever u decide to invest instead does not have any economic recessional issues, and if so I sure hope that even if there are those like yourself that feel the need to warn potential investors about the unseemly aspects of your neighbourhoods that those holier than thou types, like myself, who actually deserve to burn, declined to share..

As we dont want to cramp the inflated ego, I'll actually give you both the #3 AND #4 spots on the list..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
I think it does cost money. I am not sure since we've never held a garage sale.

I don't know what one would consider an inordinate amount of garage sales but, I do know that my in-laws garage sale every weekend (both days) and spend about eight hours doing so each day.
I know a lot of people that do that every Thurs-Sat (the big days around here). I just don't see the issue. Never seen a home have a constant garage sale. A gross, sloppy one, yes, but never day after day.

Just seems there are better things to require permits on & enforce.

To charge a citizen $$ to have a garage sale...that's baffling.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
To be fair, since Chris mentioned the permits were free, I decided to do the research.

I can get as far as the page to "apply for garage sale permit" at the city's website, but they require me create an account, and log in, and no other info regarding cost is available anywhere.

The last thing I wish to do is create another "account" of any type with Cape Coral, so my research was fruitless. If anyone has an "account" that they can access via the web, they might be able to get the info. But I cannot say for certain if there is a cost for the permit, or not at this point.

I did find the part about code compliance action(fines) for failure to get the permit, or place your signs improperly. So, they're making $$ off of it one way or another.

YC.......

Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 AM

616 posts, read 1,563,986 times
I created an account to see what would come up:

Rules for Garage Sales are as follows: * No more than three are permitted in a twelve month period. * Can not be held within 30 days of each other. * Can not be more than 3 days in duration. * There is no cost for the permit. * Permits for future dates may be deleted.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 AM

317 posts, read 772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I know a lot of people that do that every Thurs-Sat (the big days around here). I just don't see the issue. Never seen a home have a constant garage sale. A gross, sloppy one, yes, but never day after day.

Just seems there are better things to require permits on & enforce.

If my in-laws didn't work, I'm positive they would do it Fri/Sat/Sun. I don't think I've ever seen a Thursday garage sale.

I have seen a few homes around the Cape that have held seemingly never-ending garage sales. And I don't know that you could even call them a garage sale. They had rows and rows of sunglasses that were either fake or stolen. Who knows. Another home near me had one weekend after weekend - old ugly dining room chairs, a bunch of junk. Finally, it seems they gave up trying to make a few bucks from their gross junk and stopped having them.

I really don't mind the permit for the garage sale. What does bother me is the code enforcement offers who will shut down a non-permitted garage sale.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:16 AM

317 posts, read 772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
I created an account to see what would come up:

Rules for Garage Sales are as follows: * No more than three are permitted in a twelve month period. * Can not be held within 30 days of each other. * Can not be more than 3 days in duration. * There is no cost for the permit. * Permits for future dates may be deleted.
So, it would obviously be in your best interest to just get the permit. If Code Enforcement forces your garage sale to shut down because you didn't get the permit, it could end up costing you money. It's free, so that is good at least.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Actually,I think permits are a good idea since they are free.Up north we have people who run yard sales 7 days a week all season long which amounts to a full time retail business.Tables full of junk....ash trays ,toasters,bottles hair dryers,toys,you name it.At night they just through a tarp over it.Pretty unsightly.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
It could just be something simple toreduce fencing operations which some flea markets are. I was part of a sting operation that busted up a multi million dollar one where they were stealing high dollar items from retail stores actually leaving the stores tags on just crossing out the price and selling at 33% of ticket price.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
If my in-laws didn't work, I'm positive they would do it Fri/Sat/Sun. I don't think I've ever seen a Thursday garage sale.

I have seen a few homes around the Cape that have held seemingly never-ending garage sales. And I don't know that you could even call them a garage sale. They had rows and rows of sunglasses that were either fake or stolen. Who knows. Another home near me had one weekend after weekend - old ugly dining room chairs, a bunch of junk. Finally, it seems they gave up trying to make a few bucks from their gross junk and stopped having them.

I really don't mind the permit for the garage sale. What does bother me is the code enforcement offers who will shut down a non-permitted garage sale.
I guess w/ year round decent weather, the ability to hold garage sales is more prevalent the further south one goes.

Yeah, I would not be too thrilled w/ a rows of sunglasses for there is something shady (no pun intended there) going on.

I see a lot of people place basic crap (call it what it is)around here on their lawns, spray paint a sign w/misspelled words, & try to sell some 1980 bike w/ a missing seat for $50 & it sits there for days. The other day I saw a kids kitchen playcenter displayed for $250. (And not the type that costs $250 new). I almost drove off the rode I was laughing so hard. I don't get it. There is one home a few streets from us that constantly is selling something off their lawn.

Well, interesting convo on garage sales & that CC req's a permit. A little silly to shut one down as if it was a meth house, but we all know that most times, that is what city govt focuses on...the little things..

Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
To be fair, since Chris mentioned the permits were free, I decided to do the research.

I can get as far as the page to "apply for garage sale permit" at the city's website, but they require me create an account, and log in, and no other info regarding cost is available anywhere.

The last thing I wish to do is create another "account" of any type with Cape Coral, so my research was fruitless. If anyone has an "account" that they can access via the web, they might be able to get the info. But I cannot say for certain if there is a cost for the permit, or not at this point.

I did find the part about code compliance action(fines) for failure to get the permit, or place your signs improperly. So, they're making $$ off of it one way or another.

YC.......
Told ya they were free. We had a yard sale a year or so ago, we got the permit offline, it was free, but no more than 3 per year, no closer than a few months apart. And don't get caught without one, $200 fine, my mothers neighbor found that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area