Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Open Carry means you can carry a gun on a holster in plain view. You can already keep a gun in your car, provided it is not loaded and is not "readily accessible", unless you have a Concealed Carry Permit, then you can keep a gun on your person at all times, provided it is out of sight.

JBMallory - as far as I know, Open Carry is illegal in AL, but I'll have to check out that website.

Actually, it is 100% legal for any non-felon over 18 to keep a loaded handgun or long gun in the car, so long as it is "not readily accessible or securely encased" My guns go with me, and in the glovebox, with one in the chamber and a mag full. 100% legal

Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
To win them back from where?
The 2nd amendment thiefs.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I should have every right to keep and carry my handgun with me, without having to pay for a license, without having to fund anti-gun rhetoric and without paying those in power who would have their way with the constitution to fit their agenda.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
LifelongMOgal is right........I am a member of the USCCA and carry concealed almost everywhere.I'm a firm believer than when citizens are armed,crime drops off dramatically because the bad guys never know who is carrying.Not so with open carry.
NH,my winter home,is an open carry state but the few people who do,do it for the reasons that LifelongMOgal suggests.They love see the reaction of the sheep and cattle that are scared of their shadow and always wait for the government to help them.
If you open carry,anyone with bad intentions is going to single you out,neutralizing the advantage of surprize.
You definately should have the right if you choose but I just don't think it's wise.
Always remember....when seconds count,the police are minutes away.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I have no interest in open carry in public places.

1. Most people have not had retention/counter-retention training. Look at the statistics of how many cops get shot/killed with their own firearms.

2. You've just painted a target on yourself and distract leo attention from real criminals because someone is always going to panic and call 911 reporting man/woman with a gun.

3. It scares the sheeple.

4. Concealed is a stealthy lifestyle. CCW accomplishes everything and more than open carry (in public places).

5. If the open carry crowd were honest they would admit is is less about exercising a right and more about the "chicks dig it/testoserone cool factor". Those who CCW don't have a need to advertise their ability to be a bad azz.

drumroll ...........

6. Open carry is like naked old men on a nudist beach. Nobody really wants to see your piece except you!
Open Carry prevents crime.

Retention holsters help with that issue, they are very difficult to draw from at an improper angle, that said, unless an attacker gets right up behind you, your gun is likely safe.
SERPA Duty - BLACKHAWK!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
If Florida would allow open carry (atleast for long barrel like TX) it would prob. prevent alot more crime then it causes..

Obviously some thug is going to think less about mugging someone if they think that person might be packin.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
LifelongMOgal is right........I am a member of the USCCA and carry concealed almost everywhere.I'm a firm believer than when citizens are armed,crime drops off dramatically because the bad guys never know who is carrying.Not so with open carry.
NH,my winter home,is an open carry state but the few people who do,do it for the reasons that LifelongMOgal suggests.They love see the reaction of the sheep and cattle that are scared of their shadow and always wait for the government to help them.
If you open carry,anyone with bad intentions is going to single you out,neutralizing the advantage of surprize.
You definately should have the right if you choose but I just don't think it's wise.
Always remember....when seconds count,the police are minutes away.

NH, does it get to over 100*F in the summer? It does here. In the summer I would LOVE to be able to open carry. It would be much more comfortable than trying to conceal a handgun. Not really an issue with a winter coat, which btw we don't wear here either.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
If Florida would allow open carry (atleast for long barrel like TX) it would prob. prevent alot more crime then it causes..

Obviously some thug is going to think less about mugging someone if they think that person might be packin.

If it were open carry, they would KNOW you are carrying. Some thugs would still continue, but if it stopped one out of every 5 from committing the crime they had intended on, it makes this place safer.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
If it were open carry, they would KNOW you are carrying. Some thugs would still continue, but if it stopped one out of every 5 from committing the crime they had intended on, it makes this place safer.
Yeah... Some people just really have no smarts..

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
The 2nd amendment thiefs.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I should have every right to keep and carry my handgun with me, without having to pay for a license, without having to fund anti-gun rhetoric and without paying those in power who would have their way with the constitution to fit their agenda.
Who are these people? These thieves?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
NH, does it get to over 100*F in the summer? It does here. In the summer I would LOVE to be able to open carry. It would be much more comfortable than trying to conceal a handgun. Not really an issue with a winter coat, which btw we don't wear here either.
None of the serious gun folk I know in FL have any problem with CCW in the summer.

There is a distinct advantage in not letting predators know you are carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area