Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,775,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Open Carry prevents crime.

Retention holsters help with that issue, they are very difficult to draw from at an improper angle, that said, unless an attacker gets right up behind you, your gun is likely safe.
SERPA Duty - BLACKHAWK!
Forgive me if I am sceptical about the claims of "open carry" preventing any more crime than gun ownership in general and CCW by law abiding citizens. I simply don't believe reliable studies exist through the nation.

Do I have any problem with a business owner or employees practicing open carry on private property. Absolutely not. Do I think it is adviseable to do so walking down the sidewalk in a major city? No.

The Serpa holster has a lot of problems associated with its design and the placement of the retention release button. Many LE agencies have outlawed it.

While retention devices are helpful they are not a guarantee that a fiream cannot, with little effort, be wrestled away from the wearer. To depend on a holster retention device over having retention/counter-retention training makes as much sense as relying on the mechanical safety on a firearm while violating all firearms safety rules. It is foolish and in the long run, gets people who do not know what they do not know, killed.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 07-10-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,837,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
None of the serious gun folk I know in FL have any problem with CCW in the summer.

There is a distinct advantage in not letting predators know you are carrying.
You're right, the rest of us must not be serious. Where do you even arrive at that assumption?

I find it EXTREMELY uncomfortable to CCW when I'm regularly up and down out of a seat all day, and in and out of the a/c and in and out of 100*+ weather. Making things more convenient, increasing the possibility that more armed law abiding citizens will carry regularly, are all reasons to allow OC.

btw, nice quote under your username

Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
You're right, the rest of us must not be serious. Where do you even arrive at that assumption?

I find it EXTREMELY uncomfortable to CCW when I'm regularly up and down out of a seat all day, and in and out of the a/c and in and out of 100*+ weather. Making things more convenient, increasing the possibility that more armed law abiding citizens will carry regularly, are all reasons to allow OC.

btw, nice quote under your username
I made no assumption. I made a statement regarding the serious gun folk I know in Florida. I didn't even make any generalities.
You are the one twisting words. Personal attacks do not help you make your case.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM

616 posts, read 1,558,951 times
My responses in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Open Carry means you can carry a gun on a holster in plain view. You can already keep a gun in your car, provided it is not loaded and is not "readily accessible", unless you have a Concealed Carry Permit, then you can keep a gun on your person at all times, provided it is out of sight.

Depends on the state. Ohio - You can not even have a loaded magazine, or it's considered an armed weapon.
Quote:
I have no interest in open carry in public places.

1. Most people have not had retention/counter-retention training. Look at the statistics of how many cops get shot/killed with their own firearms.

2. You've just painted a target on yourself and distract leo attention from real criminals because someone is always going to panic and call 911 reporting man/woman with a gun.

Because our society has allowed us to become sheeple. Through brainwashing, media power, and governmental control - common citizens are taught to believe that guns are bad. U.S. automatically has legal open carry. It is the state government that makes it illegal in that state.

If its legal - why is the the cop or dispatch trained to talk to the caller and say is he committing a crime? If the answer is no, tell the caller that he's allowed to carry his gun.

3. It scares the sheeple.

See above.

4. Concealed is a stealthy lifestyle. CCW accomplishes everything and more than open carry (in public places).

That is one aspect or thought. The other is that open carry deters the criminal in the first place. Why put yourself in a dangerous position by having someone approach you that you don't want?

What about the business casual dressed person who doesn't want to wear a jacket? How is he going to CCW other than a leg holster?

There is a time and place for both Open Carry and CCW. Add to that the comfort of the person carrying - what that person chooses to do.

5. If the open carry crowd were honest they would admit is is less about exercising a right and more about the "chicks dig it/testoserone cool factor". Those who CCW don't have a need to advertise their ability to be a bad azz.

With cell phones and gadgets hanging off the hips, most people can't even tell that there is a gun holster. So, I hardly doubt that it's about being a "bad azz"

drumroll ...........

6. Open carry is like naked old men on a nudist beach. Nobody really wants to see your piece except you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
To win them back from where?

Unless its "illegal" it's legal. There is no federal law making Open carry illegal. Florida legistlatures made it illegal to open carry.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I made no assumption. I made a statement regarding the serious gun folk I know in Florida. I didn't even make any generalities.
You are the one twisting words. Personal attacks do not help you make your case.
Please, that was the farthest thing from a personal attack. It was an honest question, about you demeaning those who would open carry, by slight of keyboard saying they're not serious gun people. That's all.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM

There is quite the following from gun owners and enthusiasts to restore the OC rights of law abiding citizens in this state, as well as many others. People will fight for what they believe in, and this is sure to be a long battle for restoration of rights.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Please, that was the farthest thing from a personal attack. It was an honest question, about you demeaning those who would open carry, by slight of keyboard saying they're not serious gun people. That's all.
I never said nor inferred that OC were not serious gun people. I would never group CCW or OC methods into a translation of whom is and is not a serious gun person. That is something judged on an individual basis. Again, you twist my words and I do not appreciate your misrepresentations of what I wrote.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM

So, you're saying that when you said "None of the serious gun folk I know in FL have any problem with CCW in the summer." You weren't AT ALL, implying that because I/we support OC, we aren't serious gun people? Thats complete bunk and you know it.

Furthermore, this is NOT the great debates forum. This is not a thread about your or my opinion. Simply letting residents know that there WILL be OC events in support of our 2A rights.

Last edited by JBMallory; 07-11-2010 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM

515 posts, read 1,582,828 times
Quote:
e
I also agree about being very uncomfy, since I wear as little as I can to deal with the heat.

It is also legal in Fl to open carry to and fro the Range for a day of target practice. Which means if you have to stop for gas or whatever, on your way to the range, you are perfectly legal to have your handgun on your belt. same as going fishing, camping and hunting, as long as you have all of the required fishing and hunting licenses. The problem might be when a headstrong LEO is called to check you out and he is not up on the laws. *********statute F.S. 790.25 (3)

Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 AM

515 posts, read 1,582,828 times
PA is an open carry state and the police are ok with that. Delaware also is an open carry state but from what the local guyz that work at a range on the DE / PA border told me is that they (LEO) do not like it and if their called they will get you for disturbing the peace or something like that for making the people around you nervous. Then you have to fight it in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area