Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Along with rights comes responsibilities. For example, Freedom of Speech allows us to speak openly about anti-government views. It does not allow us, however, to incite a riot. Being "free" to do something doesn't necessarily mean you won't face consequences for your actions.

One of those responsibilities is the ownership of guns. If I'm not mistaken, the open carry laws only permit unloaded guns. A concealed weapon can be loaded. So wouldn't the loaded concealed weapon make the owner feel safer?

Also, although I admit I'm no gun expert, seeing a gun hanging on a person's belt or over his shoulder gives one the impression that it's loaded and ready to fire. There's no flashing light that says "ready" or "not ready." So what happens when a person feels threatened, calls the cops and a squad car shows up? Should they assume the man walking down the road or eating dinner at the local Applebee's is simply exercising his right to bear arms or is planning to massacre people who are sipping coffee in the next booth?

Is there a police officer on this board? I'd like to hear his or her opinion. I mean, if everyone has the right to carry a gun in public, then how do we legally discriminate against a responsible, neatly dressed couple taking a stroll down Main St and a couple of gang bangers with prison tattoos looking for trouble? Or maybe they're just a few harmless teenagers having fun but they look like gangsters. It's not a far leap for me to wonder if innocent people will be gunned down since there's no way of knowing who is simply exercising his rights and who is planning to create mayhem.

An unloaded gun is just a funny looking throwing star.

If you are threatened by someone carrying a gun, your priorities are so far twisted that a law-abiding gun owner is the least of your worries.

Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one, most of them stink, and we don't want to hear anyone elses but our own. lol

People wouldn't be gunned down if it was legal AND the police really knew the law. Many people are arrested because of un/undertrained officers. "You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride"

Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:

Also, although I admit I'm no gun expert, seeing a gun hanging on a person's belt or over his shoulder gives one the impression that it's loaded and ready to fire. There's no flashing light that says "ready" or "not ready." So what happens when a person feels threatened, calls the cops and a squad car shows up? Should they assume the man walking down the road or eating dinner at the local Applebee's is simply exercising his right to bear arms or is planning to massacre people who are sipping coffee in the next booth?

Is there a police officer on this board? I'd like to hear his or her opinion. I mean, if everyone has the right to carry a gun in public, then how do we legally discriminate against a responsible, neatly dressed couple taking a stroll down Main St and a couple of gang bangers with prison tattoos looking for trouble? Or maybe they're just a few harmless teenagers having fun but they look like gangsters. It's not a far leap for me to wonder if innocent people will be gunned down since there's no way of knowing who is simply exercising his rights and who is planning to create mayhem.

Those two paragraphs pretty much sum up why the concealed law is written the way it is at the current time.

The police would be far to busy running from one "suspicious person with a gun" call to the next to get anything else done. That being said, there are some areas where open carry is allowed, and some states have certain counties, that are remote where it is okay to carry open. Like I said I do not see the law as it stands in FL today changing much anytime soon.

Keep in mind, however there is no such thing as a harmless teenager. They are not allowed to carry guns, concealed or otherwise in public, except at the range, or hunting I believe.

What's a prison tattoo?

YC.......

Old 07-14-2010, 04:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Well, I guess I watch more TV crime dramas than you do!

Just curious...why is it that the U.S. is the most violent nation out of all industrialized countries and has the highest rate of gun-related deaths? Do you think more guns is the answer? You can't even walk around with an open bottle of liquor but you can carry a gun?
I love CSI, Law and Order, NCIS and Forensic Files

We have the highest drug use which increases gun related deaths. That is one reason WHO rates our mortality rates so poorly in relation to other countries.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:05 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I made no assumption. I made a statement regarding the serious gun folk I know in Florida. I didn't even make any generalities.
You are the one twisting words. Personal attacks do not help you make your case.
Who are these "Serious" gun folk? Sounds kind of snobby.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Holy crap... is this seriously a petition for being able to VISIBLY carry a loaded gun in public?!

Wouldn't that cause a frenzy once someone realizes 'holy sh*t that person has a gun!!??

Perhaps I've been a Californian for too long...but wow. I just don't know if I think that's a good idea. Is it really necessary?

(oh, and PS--although I don't choose to carry/own a gun myself, I support people that choose being able to utilize concealed carry and I don't consider myself anti-gun)

Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Yeah, you've been in commiefornia WAY too long.

OC deters more crime than it creates. You can't study it, because you can't follow a criminal around and track his thoughts, but there are documented cases of criminals choosing to NOT commit a crime because they saw OC.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Yeah, you've been in commiefornia WAY too long.

OC deters more crime than it creates. You can't study it, because you can't follow a criminal around and track his thoughts, but there are documented cases of criminals choosing to NOT commit a crime because they saw OC.
I've read that argument too. So you must be talking about a criminal who doesn't have a gun, right? However, since OC laws say the gun displayed must be unloaded, logic tells me a criminal would be the one with the loaded weapon.

Commiefornia? So suddenly the state where Ronald Reagan was governor for 2 terms is full of communists?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:57 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,249 times
As far as I know, there are no laws about Open Carry must be an unloaded gun. That would defeat the purpose of carrying a gun. There might be restrictions on how much ammunition you can have, but I have never heard of it being "unloaded". Might as well throw a paper weight at the attacker.

Maybe you're thinking of transportation of a firearm?

Quote:
I've read that argument too. So you must be talking about a criminal who doesn't have a gun, right? However, since OC laws say the gun displayed must be unloaded, logic tells me a criminal would be the one with the loaded weapon.

Commiefornia? So suddenly the state where Ronald Reagan was governor for 2 terms is full of communists?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,712 times
Two recent articles on Florida Open Carry

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2010/07/04/florida-open-carry-aims-for-change-in-gun-laws.html (broken link)

http://www.news-journalonline.com/opinion/editorials/2010/07/06/ease-floridas-law-prohibiting-open-carry.html (broken link)

Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
As far as I know, there are no laws about Open Carry must be an unloaded gun. That would defeat the purpose of carrying a gun. There might be restrictions on how much ammunition you can have, but I have never heard of it being "unloaded". Might as well throw a paper weight at the attacker.

Maybe you're thinking of transportation of a firearm?
Only California restricts people to open carry of an unloaded handgun.

There is also a California concealed carry license but it is issued at the mercy of the local sheriff and is impossible to get in most of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area