Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM

196 posts, read 504,399 times

Advertisements

Ok,,seriously how bad is the well water and septic systems in the Cape? I had a home on the Eastern shore of VA many years ago,,when you drew water within 20 minutes the Iron build up on the dog bowl you could swipe a heavy orange residue on you finger!!! Is it this bad? whats involved with septic care? I had an oversized septic system and nerver did a thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
Ok,,seriously how bad is the well water and septic systems in the Cape? I had a home on the Eastern shore of VA many years ago,,when you drew water within 20 minutes the Iron build up on the dog bowl you could swipe a heavy orange residue on you finger!!! Is it this bad? whats involved with septic care? I had an oversized septic system and nerver did a thing!
That was because you lived in an area with heavy iron in the soil. The Cape is not like that. I have three aunts that live in the northern area and have zero issues. Here's what I think. The prices are really low there. If they add city water and sewer you will be able to pay it off over time, but the savings that you see by purchasing there far exceeds the cost.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,272 times
the septic is a non issue virtually maintainance free. The wells on the other hand... all have a softener system. The water initially is borderline swampy water and if you're lucky the softener takes out almost all metals but still can sometimes have a rotten egg smell. I don't drink it or make coffee with it. When you shower you get that slippery feeling. I don't have any issues with scaling, staining etc even when leaving the property unoccupied for 2 to 3 months during the summer.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
I guess it depends on where? My MIL is in a rental home in the SE and it is fine, as well as the three aunts in the north. The only time I have ever had smelled rotten eggs in the water was over in the Paseo area of Fort Myers. I have friends that live on that street. TRUE. I just never mentioned it until now.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM

397 posts, read 813,509 times
If you have a good water treatment system, you will never have any problems. I had well and septic here in NJ. And the water here is horrible. As long as you keep the brine tank full and have your system to back flush on a regular basis, NO PROBLEMO !!! ( no iron stains....no odors)

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I guess it depends on where? My MIL is in a rental home in the SE and it is fine, as well as the three aunts in the north. The only time I have ever had smelled rotten eggs in the water was over in the Paseo area of Fort Myers. I have friends that live on that street. TRUE. I just never mentioned it until now.

Hik, your mom (I think) lives in my neighborhood. We are on city water and sewer on the SE. That being said - we rented a place in the SW while we were looking. When the sprinkler system came on at night, it was IMPOSSIBLE to sit outside.

Up here in PA, we have septic and well water. For awhile when we moved in we had the iron deposits, but they went away after regular use. No problem with odor up here, but then again, we aren't anywhere near sea level.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:31 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,152,594 times
I have a well system.. I had to learn about it because I always had city water and sewer. Salt has to be added to a tank to keep it soft.

I also had an osmosis purifier system installed under the kitchen sink which has a few filters on it.

I hear that we will all be getting city water after the economy gets better for the Cape.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 PM

What I am really considering is a large home, LIKE 2600 SQ/FT in the SW /SE , Lake veiw or Gulf Access, this is what I am used to hoping in the boat and hittin the beach,,,large Liani under Truss and 3 car garage,,preferable 4 - 5 bedrms, for under 200,000.00,,it seems the only way I can have my dream home is to be in the NW! I am aware of the Assesments, What are they running now? And a Water Softener System, [ if needed, you don't need these on city water, do you?] how much are they? I figured the first 3 things were to get a H20 Softener System, change the Pool to a Salt Water Pool system and and Alarm system installed I figured around & possibly a pool heater,$3000,,, I am not diggin the rotten egg thing at all,,yuck! However I can wait for the dream home to hit the SE/West as I believe there will be one more wave of foreclousures. Sorry folks just my HO,,,Another question I know they were really hitting the Salt water Access with high taxes,,We had a home and without HStead it was running close to 7 Grand,,with things the way they are today what would they run with a homestead on a $200,000.00 home, Gulf access? Thanx all for everyones input! I apprecicte it!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,734 times
Two, homes on a good access canal with a open water view in Se CC are few and far between. For under $200,000 I don't think you can find it, even for a 3/2 home. Even if values drop another 20%, which I doubt they will.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Good to dream! giggle,,giggle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area