Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I remember how a Reuter's reporter had death threats because it called Cape Coral a "wasteland"..3 years ago! What would he write about Cape Coral now?
To attack the press or reporters on reporting the fact is nothing but an act of desperation to hide the truth from clueless investors.
But numbers speak for themselves. And look at the deteriorating condition of the city. It is not the condition of canlas alone, everything is falling apart.

Trust Google.
Tom Brown has written foreclosure and economic articles about the area since 2007. However, I haven't seen anything since September 2009.

Also, I have never read about death threats. Please provide the link. I've already googled for it. It wouldn't surprise me but I can't find any info.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
News-press.com has extensive reports on Cape Coral. Therefore, it is constantly attacked by desperate home owners/realtors and house flippers for exposing the facts. I remember how a Reuter's reporter had death threats because it called Cape Coral a "wasteland"..3 years ago! What would he write about Cape Coral now?
To attack the press or reporters on reporting the fact is nothing but an act of desperation to hide the truth from clueless investors.
But numbers speak for themselves. And look at the deteriorating condition of the city. It is not the condition of canlas alone, everything is falling apart.

Trust Google.
Newspapers and media in general don't have to sell "news" to people - to keep viewers or people buying their paper? Seriously?? Newspapers and media are never one sided and get both sides of the story, non-biased, and always factual?

You say "Trust Google" - anyone can post anything and claim its "factual" You trust the internet to be factual? There's no biased views on the internet

How about researching yourself and making an informed decision? What about first hand knowledge? In case people don't know... there's two types of ways to get information - Primary and Secondary:

Primary source is a document, speech, or other sort of evidence written, created or otherwise produced during the time under study. Primary sources offer an inside view of a particular event. Examples include:

Original Documents
Autobiographies, diaries, e-mail, interviews, letters, minutes, news film footage, official records, photographs, raw research data, speeches.

Creative Works
Art, drama, films, music, novels, poetry.

Relics or Artifacts
Buildings, clothing, DNA, furniture, jewelry, pottery.

Examples of Primary Sources
Plato's Republic — women in ancient Greece
The Declaration of Independence — U. S. history
African-American Poetry (1750-1900) — U. S. history & literature
Diary of Anne Frank — experiences of Jews in World War II
film footage of the assassination of President J. F. Kennedy
National Security Data Archives — U. S. history ~ declassified documents

Secondary sources provide interpretation and analysis of primary sources. Secondary sources are one step removed from the original event or "horse's mouth."

Examples of Secondary Sources
Britannica Online encyclopedia (online)
American National Biography (database)
literary criticism analyzing a play, poem, novel, or short story
magazine or newspaper articles about events or people
political commentary analyzing an election or politician (via Lexis-Nexis database)
textbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Folks,
Let's try to correct any falsehoods or skewed statistics, etc, without negatively discussing other posters. The best way to bring balance to the forum is to truthfully discuss positive experiences, so readers can see both sides. Thanks!!

Frank
Frank, I'm all for it, but many other people have tried! Our questions and comments go answered and ignored. It's almost to the point where it could be considered trolling. Posting half-truths, over-exaggerating, and only responding to either themselves and very little to others unless it benefits their agenda.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,506 times
Here is a simple fact.
Cape Coral Is a mess, and it will not get better in the foreseeable future. 434 million city budget and they can't make end meet.
The economy of the country is still failing, and historically the SWFL area has always lagged behind.
Like it or not, call it negativity or not, the simple fact remains that it is fact.

FYI Demanding that some one's questions are answered, is kinda ridiculous. There is no obligation that any other poster answers some one's questions.
It is much better if people find their own answers.
"seek and ye shall find"

Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Here is a simple fact.
Cape Coral Is a mess, and it will not get better in the foreseeable future. 434 million city budget and they can't make end meet.
The economy of the country is still failing, and historically the SWFL area has always lagged behind.
Like it or not, call it negativity or not, the simple fact remains that it is fact.

FYI Demanding that some one's questions are answered, is kinda ridiculous. There is no obligation that any other poster answers some one's questions.
It is much better if people find their own answers.
"seek and ye shall find"
forum (ˈfɔːrəm)

— n , pl -rums , -ra
1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
3. a public meeting place for open discussion

So its OK to post whatever you want - and when someone questions you and you ignore it... that's perfectly fine? Where's the discussion? I never "demanded" anything - just stating the facts. It serves the "FORUM" no purpose to post half-truths and "GOOGLE IT"

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Any body can make statements with out defending themselves if they don't want to, this is THE USA.
But your getting off target again.
The subject is wether real estate investing is good idea right now in SFWL.
And to that A little news I just found,

"Home values continue to decline nationwide, according to online real estate website Zillow.com, setting the stage for what some fear will be a long, cold winter for the housing market. "
Does not look good at all for home prices, as the slide continues foreclosures will continue to go up because more people will be under water with their mortgage, and will walk away from their houses.
Also the employment picture continues to be bleak, more and more people will not have the money to pay their mortgage.
And here is a real kicker some of the homes going in to foreclosure now are previous foreclosures.
Not good at all.
Sorry folks there just isn't any positive news, no matter how much wishful thinking there is.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Any body can make statements with out defending themselves if they don't want to, this is THE USA.

"Home values continue to decline nationwide, according to online real estate website Zillow.com, setting the stage for what some fear will be a long, cold winter for the housing market. "
Does not look good at all for home prices, as the slide continues foreclosures will continue to go up because more people will be under water with their mortgage, and will walk away from their houses.
Also the employment picture continues to be bleak, more and more people will not have the money to pay their mortgage.
And here is a real kicker some of the homes going in to foreclosure now are previous foreclosures.
Not good at all.
Sorry folks there just isn't any positive news, no matter how much wishful thinking there is.

We're discussing Cape Coral, not the nation AND it has been pointed out in other threads that the data shown on Zillow and Trulia are lacking to show the real meaning and trends of the market.

$5 million in incentives to bring new company to Fort Myers on commissioners' agenda | news-press.com | The News-Press

Fla. universities get economic development grants | news-press.com | The News-Press

Cleveland Avenue building purchased | news-press.com | The News-Press

So much for the mass exodus that has been claimed -
“We’ve had a great turnout so far. We had 8,900 show up Friday night and we’re expect to draw about 19,000 today (Saturday),” said Todd King, the city’s special events coordinator. He said by the time the gates close this evening, about 40,000 people will have attended the event at the Sun Splash festival grounds off Santa Barbara Boulevard. http://www.news-press.com/article/20...raws-big-crowd

Last edited by stahltkd; 11-15-2010 at 06:41 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM

There is always a little good news to go around.
The problem is however that it will take BILLIONS for SWFL, to even catchup to the rest of the country because it has always lagged behind.
And if the pharma company is one that I own stock in than that is even better for me, but first lets see if they actually come here.
I't a long ways to go. And first it's going to go down.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Not good at all.
Quote:
There is always a little good news to go around.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
One type of post that no one can refute is your own personal experience.

As bad as the economy is, and as dysfunctional as the local gov't seems to be, (at least from what I read here.....) I know there are many positive personal experiences from folks who have made it down there, and are happy with their choice.

They may not spend a lot of time on these forums because they tire of reading the negativity, and they are too busy living the good life......

My place in Florida is hours away from Cape Coral, but I am surrounded by folks who love it here, and play golf/tennis/pickleball daily, and are enjoying life to the max. Many, but not all are retired. They are comfortable financially, their taxes are low, they do not shovel snow, and are basically very happy. Despite what we read here, there ARE folks who are happy in Florida.

Frank

Old 11-15-2010, 07:13 PM

People are slowly buying again:

Used car supply finally improving | news-press.com | The News-Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area