Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am from NJ and live in Central Jersey ,Monmouth Couny area.I have been here all my life . We have lots of tourists here and it is too built up in my area .

I bought a home in the Cape and enjoy the quiet slower pace.

True- Jersey is different.The beaches are packed like sardines now.. No slow pace.

As far as Brick as being the safest town, I question that.The drivers there are crazy. My opinion is taken by many. We have the most densely populated state per sq mile.

The Cape will recover. The boomers will be getting a bargain for a retirement or vacation home.
But Taratova, you do have Seaside Heights.

I just visited my brother, in laws, and friend who live in Toms River, Island Heights, and Belmar respectively. Beautiful? Sure - in July. Upscale? Hell, yeah. Unaffordably upscale. Time it took to go 5 miles on the Parkway? 1 hour. Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
I do miss the trees in Jersey. Lots of greenery everywhere in the warm weather . Yet I do appreciate the beautiful big skies of Florida and the palm trees too .

Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
Ah, but you did compare, though! Gyms, dining, etc. CC doesn't attempt to be like northern NJ and thank heavens. It's a completely different place with challenges like many other cities in the US that are offset by benefits that NJ can't hope to match.

I flew into EWR one day in April and felt my entire mood sink as did the plane's altitude. Why anyone would choose to live there is beyond me. Hoboken, Jersey City - pick up a paper any week and there will be a new FBI bust on some gov't. official. To each his own, though.

I truly hope you find the utopia you seek, but IMO, anywhere there's politics, there's dirt. Bon voyage....

Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy.
Peter Ustinov
Yes, Izmack. I was talking to you. Now I sound like De Niro...

I can't agree enough that it is very difficult to compare places and nothing, nothing sets my teeth on edge like someone that moves somewhere and then complains that it is not like home. Then what was the darn point of moving?

But your post was a bit confusing because you clearly state that you have no idea why someone would want to live there. Since you are from there you know that a lot of people, maybe most, think that all of Jersey is like Newark.

I'm from the northeast, so I understand long, cold winters. Really, I do. But if I had to pick New England or Florida I would pick the former in a heartbeat. What is your utopia may not be mine.

I don't agree with someone from the northeast being more comfortable in Miami, either. Um, no. That's all I will say about that.

Taratova, I didn't say safest for driving. Surely you knew that the when the survey says "safest" they are referring to actual crime?

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Old 08-01-2010, 07:30 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
But your post was a bit confusing because you clearly state that you have no idea why someone would want to live there.
Fair enough. My point was that the poster had been ruing her move to CC while applying NJ criteria to the area. I was counter-replying to that sentiment. I'm growing tired of the incessant CC bashing here. But you are right - to each his own.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
hiknaster,I was being facetious with my comment regarding Bricktown. It fit the story line how overly populated NJ is and the fast paced atmosphere we have here .

For those who think the cape is all depressing. Actually the Cape has a very nlce upscale area south of Cape Coral parkway on the west section below the parkway. There are beautiful areas and sections that will always be in the cape. I hope in time many newer areas will have mature landscaping which always makes an area look more interesting and eye appealing.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 PM

681 posts, read 884,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Google search is great. I do not think, it will work out too well to lure investors to a collapsing economy.
But when one has specific questions like the below..of course, Google is your best friend.

Uncontrollable increase of Nile Lizards in Canals
Cape Coral's Chinese Dry Wall problems and cover-ups
Cape Coral's mountainous debt
Cape Coral's glut of houses
Cape Coral's house fires
City official's direct/indirect involvement with crime
Cape Coral's growth of povery
Cape Coral's water quality
Cape Coral's homelessness
Cape Coral's condition of RV parks
Cape Coral's commercial bankruptcies/foreclosures
Cape Coral's declining population
Cape Coral's harmfull spending on elephant projects
Cape Coral's grow houses
Cape Coral's economy/poverty/unemployment
Cape Coral's shrinking revenue
Cape Coral's garbage in canals
Cape Coral's hospital problems with hygiene
Cape Coral's loose dog attacks
Cape Coral's schools
Cape Coral's problems with drugs
Cape Coral's problem with utility cost/coverage
Cape Coral's problem with theft..from large boats, cars to flat screen TVs
Economic recovery forecasts for Cape Coral

Please Google all issues and decide on your own if it is worth moving to Cape Coral.
Realtors, house flippers and desperate home owners will tell you whatever they can to get into your money or sell their crappy old houses !!

Research well before buying anything in Cape Coral. This is one reason why:

"Families with Chinese drywall that had their insurance dropped, are having a tough time finding coverage elsewhere.

One Cape Coral family tells WINK news they were dropped by their home owners insurance provider, for unrelated issues, but since have not been able to replace them.

Local insurance agents say Chinese drywall is an issue that many companies do not want to insure. "

Aug/05/2010
Chinese drywall insurance headaches

Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 PM

204 posts, read 628,484 times
Default Thinking of moving to CC

I have been doing a bit of research online to find the best place for me and my family to move and, to be fair, I have read about the Chinese Drywall thing all over and not exclusive to Cape Coral.

Every place is what you make it and definitely according to your wants and needs. I am moving from Arizona which has gone from a real hot spot to move to quite a depressing place to live. We have a fixed income that will not be impacted by the job market, want to live close to beautiful beaches and are looking for affordable housing. Ft. Myers and Cape Coral seem to be the best fit for what I am looking for. It doesn't sound all that depressing to me and I really think trying to compare Jersey to Florida is like apples and oranges! I grew up in Illinois, have lived in Arizona and have traveled all over the country and for me I found New York and New Jersey to be depressing. I am sure that people who are from there would feel very different about that opinion but that's how I felt when I was there so again, apples and oranges.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:19 AM

196 posts, read 504,281 times
Move East31, Don't be so sure,,10,000,000.00 people left NY in the last 10 years a Max Exodus,many have not been replaced, yea were the center of the planet,,everyone wants to experience NY,,however its not the same NY I grew up in,,and I am middle aged The "List posted" concerning the Cape of No $$ in the City Till,,bad schools, corruption, crime, no work, depressing atmosphere, glut of houses, forecloseures, empty strip malls, store closings, crime increases, short tempers, just down right depression,,welcome to New York! Actually the more I read and see on Citi Data,,the entire country's failing slowly, my veiw, is CC is pretty nice place to be. No heating bills, no traffic, people are friendlier, clean beaches. Lower reasonable cost of living,,Life is what you make of it,,things yes get bad but not forever and so goes the wheel,,not good forever, yes we all wish we had a crystal ball,,we do't it life's uncertinaities that make us stronger and driven. And would someone please start a plant a tree campaigne down there,, I am so sick of hearing about no trees,,lolol,,CC really does need some,,isn't there a place n Sanibel that gives you indigious plants free? my IMHO,,its a nice place~ oh and the school lured many teachers from the East during the boom with many incentives,,which should of boosted their bad rep,,,my kids will be in soon,,,,

Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 PM

616 posts, read 1,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
Actually the more I read and see on Citi Data,,the entire country's failing slowly, my veiw, is CC is pretty nice place to be. No heating bills, no traffic, people are friendlier, clean beaches. Lower reasonable cost of living,,Life is what you make of it,,things yes get bad but not forever and so goes the wheel,,not good forever, yes we all wish we had a crystal ball,,we do't it life's uncertinaities that make us stronger and driven. And would someone please start a plant a tree campaigne down there,, I am so sick of hearing about no trees,,lolol,,CC really does need some,,isn't there a place n Sanibel that gives you indigious plants free? my IMHO,,its a nice place~ oh and the school lured many teachers from the East during the boom with many incentives,,which should of boosted their bad rep,,,my kids will be in soon,,,,
So true, the WHOLE country is falling apart. Just not Cape Coral or even Lee county. My grandparents had a house in Labelle that I would visit - fell in love with the whole SW Florida feel. Married my wife - whose trustee bought her a house in the SE Cape that was to be used for investment property.

She graduated Summa *** Laude majoring in Special Education... had 10 interviews in Ohio. Not one hired her. A special education school in SW Florida sought her out. She got notification yesterday that she starts Monday at more than what she would make here in Ohio as a first year teacher.

So, she's on her way and I'm following 2 weeks later with the truck with our stuff. Is there difficulties in Ohio? Yep sure are. Are there difficulties in Florida... yep... its all in the attitude.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:39 PM

204 posts, read 628,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
Move East31, Don't be so sure,,10,000,000.00 people left NY in the last 10 years a Max Exodus,many have not been replaced, yea were the center of the planet,,everyone wants to experience NY,,however its not the same NY I grew up in,,and I am middle aged The "List posted" concerning the Cape of No $$ in the City Till,,bad schools, corruption, crime, no work, depressing atmosphere, glut of houses, forecloseures, empty strip malls, store closings, crime increases, short tempers, just down right depression,,welcome to New York! Actually the more I read and see on Citi Data,,the entire country's failing slowly, my veiw, is CC is pretty nice place to be. No heating bills, no traffic, people are friendlier, clean beaches. Lower reasonable cost of living,,Life is what you make of it,,things yes get bad but not forever and so goes the wheel,,not good forever, yes we all wish we had a crystal ball,,we do't it life's uncertinaities that make us stronger and driven. And would someone please start a plant a tree campaigne down there,, I am so sick of hearing about no trees,,lolol,,CC really does need some,,isn't there a place n Sanibel that gives you indigious plants free? my IMHO,,its a nice place~ oh and the school lured many teachers from the East during the boom with many incentives,,which should of boosted their bad rep,,,my kids will be in soon,,,,
Actually you may have misread me or I didn't post my opinion well...you and I are mostly in agreement. I'm not looking for employment or looking to buy a home. There is not much more depressing to me than where I live now in Arizona. I have lived here for ten years and I made the best of it while I was here. Every place is what you make it and it really depends on what you are looking for. I love the house we are in now but hate this side of town. If I could pick the house up and move near the beach I would do it tomorrow! I love love love the ocean and it's beaches. It is so damn dry out here and 114 yesterday! I get angry just going to the store Florida has so much more to offer than Arizona and whether I live down the street from activities or I have to drive to them it's still more than this area has to offer! I have been to the Wildlife World Zoo and the Grand Canyon, I can only do that so many times you know? My most favorite activity is vacationing in Rocky Point...because it's on the beach and not really all that fabulous a beach either : ) I am actually leaning more towards Ft. Myers but I think I really need to go down and get a feel for it myself. I am willing to bet though that I would find Cape Coral beautiful and charming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area