Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,266 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiance and i are moving to the Ft Myers area from Omaha, NE. He is getting transferred there for work. He works for Saia Motor Freight. I am totally nervous about making the move as i have a very large and close knit family that I have never been away from for long periods of time. Just wondering if anyone has advice on somewhere we should maybe look into as far as housing. We are planning on renting at least for now. Also just any lil tid bits of info about the area would be great!!

Thanks for the help everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

320 posts, read 1,129,690 times
I'd suggest staying away from North Fort Myers and anywhere east of 75.

I hope you like the beach and warm temperatures. The climate down here is quite a bit different compared to Omaha.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,061 times
for sure rent to start with and you can distract yourself for the first year researching where you want to buy, or rent longer term.

your fiancee's new colleagues will be able to provide a lot of advice on the neighbourhoods that have a reasonable commute.

as your main challenge will be heat and social isolation, firstly, keep in mind that nearer the beach or water can be cooler in the summer, further inland can be hotter.

think about getting a place large enough to accommodate visitors from home and located close to touristy stuff to attract them back. Consider a gated community, which tends to be more social. Think about what sort of church or hobbies you would join to help with finding new friends. Plan to go back home and maybe rent a cottage on a lake near your hometown in the summers for a few weeks and to reestablish family ties.

you will have time to think and plan, but if you are going to have kids, schooling will be a challenge...some have said that Punta Gorda might be better for schools

if you don't have a profession, there are lots of healthcare related schools in SWF

if you can get into the right attitude, you are very lucky to have this opportunity

Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
for sure rent to start with and you can distract yourself for the first year researching where you want to buy, or rent longer term.

your fiancee's new colleagues will be able to provide a lot of advice on the neighbourhoods that have a reasonable commute.

as your main challenge will be heat and social isolation, firstly, keep in mind that nearer the beach or water can be cooler in the summer, further inland can be hotter.

think about getting a place large enough to accommodate visitors from home and located close to touristy stuff to attract them back. Consider a gated community, which tends to be more social. Think about what sort of church or hobbies you would join to help with finding new friends. Plan to go back home and maybe rent a cottage on a lake near your hometown in the summers for a few weeks and to reestablish family ties.

you will have time to think and plan, but if you are going to have kids, schooling will be a challenge...some have said that Punta Gorda might be better for schools

if you don't have a profession, there are lots of healthcare related schools in SWF

if you can get into the right attitude, you are very lucky to have this opportunity
Great advice, Kroeran. We hooked up with the Cape Coral new residents club first thing and it helped us right ways to meet alot of new folks. Once would think they would be all retirees, but I was mistaken. Fort Myers must have something similar.....

Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM

looks like Saia Motor Freight is not far from the Cape bridges...Omaha might end up there

Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 AM

79 posts, read 289,993 times
Move to North naples... youll enjoy it better... I drive every day to Fort myers for work and Im there in 35 minutes.... so worth the commute....

YOU will NOT like Fort Myers/Cape/ Lee.... its ground zero for the depression...

Go to North Naples... Estero, bonita
Many rentals for under 1500...you can find rentals in cape and fort myers for $400 ...that tells you something right there

Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM

there is also the South Fort Myers corridor which is only 2 exits south of Saia MF.

In my gated neighbourhood off of Daniels, which has a good mix of all ages, you can rent for around $1600

Jul 29 - $1650 / 3br - PASEO Casita mediterranean style home - pic
Jul 24 - $1650 / 3br - 3 BDR 2 Bath Single Family Home Paseo - [SIZE=-1](Paseo Fort Myers)[/SIZE] pic
Jul 23 - $1700 / 3br - Resort Styled Paseo Single Fam 3BR 2BA + Den - [SIZE=-1](Daniels & Penzance)[/SIZE] pic
Jul 22 - $1575 / 3br - Paseo - [SIZE=-1](Ft. Myers, SW Florida)[/SIZE]
Jul 15 - $1750 / 3br - 3BR (plus den) 2 bath Single Family Home@Paseo, 5min frm I75 & Daniels - [SIZE=-1](Provencia- Daniels & Palomino)[/SIZE] pic
Jul 14 - $1700 / 2br - 2/2/1 furnished luxury housing - [SIZE=-1](Paseo, Fort Myers)[/SIZE] pic
Jul 13 - $1600 / 3br - Single Family in Paseo - [SIZE=-1](Ft. Myers)[/SIZE] img
Jul 13 - $1650 / 3br - Paseo Resort Style Living 3/2.5/2 car garage - [SIZE=-1](Paseo, Ft. Myers, Florida)[/SIZE]
Jul 13 - $1575 / 3br - Paseo Resort Style 3 bd/2.5 ba/2 car garage - [SIZE=-1](Paseo, Ft. Myers, Florida)[/SIZE]
Jul 12 - $1575 / 3br - Paseo Resort Lifestyle 3 bd/2.5 bath/2 car garage - [SIZE=-1](Paseo, Ft. Myers, Florida)[/SIZE]
Jul 7 - $1700 / 2br - Furnished corporate housing - [SIZE=-1](Paseo, Fort Myers, FL)[/SIZE] pic
Jul 5 - $1650 / 2br - THE MARK OF EXCELLENCE PASEO FTMYERS - [SIZE=-1](FTMYERS)[/SIZE] pic
Jul 1 - $1600 / 3br - single family and condos (corporate housing) - [SIZE=-1](Fort Myers)[/SIZE]

fort myers apts/housing for rent classifieds "paseo" - craigslist=

Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim7578 View Post
Move to North naples... youll enjoy it better... I drive every day to Fort myers for work and Im there in 35 minutes.... so worth the commute....

YOU will NOT like Fort Myers/Cape/ Lee.... its ground zero for the depression...

Go to North Naples... Estero, bonita
Many rentals for under 1500...you can find rentals in cape and fort myers for $400 ...that tells you something right there
I wouldn't necessarily agree with the comments about not liking Fort Myers/Cape/etc. There are definitely bad sections but it's not all bad.

I live in south Fort Myers and work in Naples. My commute via 75 is less than 30 minutes and is a piece of cake.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 AM

regarding central Fort Myers, what one person might consider a "bad" neighbourhood, another person might consider to be affordable, authentic, and friendly.

if you like having a car project on blocks in the front yard, dope easily available and dogs tied up outside, North Naples may not be your cup of tea.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
regarding central Fort Myers, what one person might consider a "bad" neighbourhood, another person might consider to be affordable, authentic, and friendly.

if you like having a car project on blocks in the front yard, dope easily available and dogs tied up outside, North Naples may not be your cup of tea.
And a major portion of Fort Myers, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area