Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:49 AM

31 posts, read 80,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I sometimes just don't get these posts,do people really move to places and have no idea how things will be.I mean I'm down in Miami where at least the public transportation is at least somewhat doable, 95% of the people still drive but if you had to you can get by for a while taking the bus and metrorail.I couldn't even think about how public transportation would be in a place like Lehigh Acres.Also the summer without A/C is just silly,it's like 110 with the heat index out there.I remember our power going out for a few days when we had a hurricane a few years ago and I had to sleep outside as indoors was just not possible,even outside I don't think I got more than 3 hours.We're paying $300-$420 in the warmer months and we just look at it like a necessity,no way around it.Woods with animals,I mean come on it's not a major city.The grass growing fast is another thing that just makes me wonder if the OP really lived somewhere else in Florida,most Floridians know when you cut your grass in the summer it looks like it needs to get cut 4 days later.As far as crime I'm sure it's not good when houses that go for $200K in other places are selling for $50K obviously you'll have some shady characters all around you.When the prices started to drop we visited Lehigh Acres as well as Poinciana in Polk County,two of the places where houses were going very cheap,when we toured the areas we realized why they were going very cheap.
My husband has built houses for over 20 years----the houses were not worth the $200k to begin with. Someone made a killing to begin with. Can't believe what people paid for lots either. We have a empty one beside us and behind us, we'd be interested in buying. Our realtor contacted both owners. The one behind us was sold for 35,000 a few years ago, now they go for under 3 grand. So doubt if they'll sell:{
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kidsplus2 View Post
My husband has built houses for over 20 years----the houses were not worth the $200k to begin with. Someone made a killing to begin with. Can't believe what people paid for lots either. We have a empty one beside us and behind us, we'd be interested in buying. Our realtor contacted both owners. The one behind us was sold for 35,000 a few years ago, now they go for under 3 grand. So doubt if they'll sell:{
They might as well. They'll be dead before they recoup the money and at least they won't have to pay taxes. They can write it off.

For anyone that wants to shoot off their mouth, I've done the cost comparisons. I followed two pieces of property from when they were first chopped and sold all the way to where they sold at the height of the boom and what they are worth now. They barely made any money on them and that boom in Lehigh was probably a once in a lifetime thing. It's Lehigh, folks.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
must be some lots going for back taxes?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
They might as well. They'll be dead before they recoup the money and at least they won't have to pay taxes. They can write it off.

For anyone that wants to shoot off their mouth, I've done the cost comparisons. I followed two pieces of property from when they were first chopped and sold all the way to where they sold at the height of the boom and what they are worth now. They barely made any money on them and that boom in Lehigh was probably a once in a lifetime thing. It's Lehigh, folks.
Are you saying the builders didn't make any money and the houses were worth 200? I don't know much about the market here- so I wasn't "shooting off my mouth" I just know what a house costs per sq. ft. to build and I know what the guy that owned this one paid for it. I just don't see it.---- We sold a 6 bed 3 bath house- had 2 living rooms, 2 porches , 2 kitchens was 2700 sq ft on 4 acres along a small river and it didn't bring that may be that lots are worth more in Fl?!?!?

The realtor contacted them 2 mos. ago they live in another state and we never heard back

Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
must be some lots going for back taxes?
the other lot is 2 years behind on taxes and is owned by a LLC. We were told to do a lien search and if nothing is on it we could go that route. Does anyone know what happens if liens are slapped on it before it becomes yours? are you just out the money you paid for taxes? or do you somehow get them back?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kidsplus2 View Post
Are you saying the builders didn't make any money and the houses were worth 200? I don't know much about the market here- so I wasn't "shooting off my mouth" I just know what a house costs per sq. ft. to build and I know what the guy that owned this one paid for it. I just don't see it.---- We sold a 6 bed 3 bath house- had 2 living rooms, 2 porches , 2 kitchens was 2700 sq ft on 4 acres along a small river and it didn't bring that may be that lots are worth more in Fl?!?!?
WHAT??????????

First of all, I certainly didn't say that you did.

Second, I am AGREEING with you.

You might want to go back and read what I wrote. I said that I followed two pieces of property from the 60s and they BARELY MADE MONEY after they were sold during the boom, when you take into account that they had taxes paid on them for 40 years. And the chances of having a boom like that again, especially in Lehigh is next to impossible. It won't happen in my lifetime.

HOLY MACKEREL.

Last edited by hiknapster; 09-09-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,724 times
Bad-mouthing the city where you live is pure stupidity. What happens when there is no commerce from out-of-towners? Answer: your taxes go up.
I'm sorry you can't afford a car or air-conditioning, but these are your issues, not those of an entire community, and crime is everywhere due to the failing economy.
Maybe YOU should move from Lehigh to a more accomodating city, maybe one in Canada.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiB View Post
Bad-mouthing the city where you live is pure stupidity. What happens when there is no commerce from out-of-towners? Answer: your taxes go up.
I'm sorry you can't afford a car or air-conditioning, but these are your issues, not those of an entire community, and crime is everywhere due to the failing economy.
Maybe YOU should move from Lehigh to a more accomodating city, maybe one in Canada.
Generally, there wouldn't be commerce from out-of-towners, anyway. Lehigh is not a destination. It is off the beaten path. The few businesses that are there are usually frequented by the local residents.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Lehigh has lots of remote areas but some are built up too. I rode around there just to see what it was like. I didn't buy there because they don't have the governing body as the Cape or as well developed with canals , just drain holes. Alot more greeneryin Lehigh and probably more bugs too and snakes

Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
OP, what did you expect? Lehigh is built on a swamp. It's the definition of carpet-bagged Florida. Worthless land subdivided and sold for a massive profit to ignorant northerners. Cookie-cutter houses thrown together by unqualified builders.

No car in a place as remote as Lehigh Acres? No A/C? Why in the world would anyone buy a brand new house and live without a car if they can't even afford A/C? Should have bought an older concrete block home and a late-model minivan.

Everyone's gotta "live the dream" I guess, even though they can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area