Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 AM

681 posts, read 878,400 times

Advertisements

A Couple comes from California. They notice their water bill is very high, despite their effort to conserve water.

They started working on this problem and they found out they are not the only ones.

There is a leakage somewhere!!

The city replies to them that homeowners should take the initiative find the leakage, fix it, then city will refund half the cost of repair.

What a nightmare!

Sept/02/2010
Cape Coral water bills getting hard look from consumers, officials - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,493,132 times
What you wrote is NOT what the article said.

The article stated the couple had a problem with their bill. It did not seem right. Water dept checked, and found that it was a defective meter.
Couple also stated that while they were on vacation, their water bill went "on the rise, nearly tripling".
Upon investigation, it was determined there might be a leak somewhere.
The city stated that if that was the case and the homeowners fixed it, they would pay half the cost.

Where is the news here?

I know in my city, the city water line is their responsibility, past that, it is 100% mine. If I had a leak in MY portion of my water line, I would have to fix it.......100%. Sounds like Cape Coral water dept is pretty nice!

Note to all- inaccurate, inflamatory posts will be deleted.......

Frank

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 AM

58 posts, read 106,968 times
thanks Frank, I don`t mind someone pointing out problems truthfully, but when they mislead with half truths and/or lies to cause problems or stir up trouble...well then I think they need suspended or banned..some of the other forums I belong to would have banned that person for some of the statements a long time ago ....then again some of the other forums I frequent would have encouraged them..LOL

Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
What you wrote is NOT what the article said.

The article stated the couple had a problem with their bill. It did not seem right. Water dept checked, and found that it was a defective meter.
Couple also stated that while they were on vacation, their water bill went "on the rise, nearly tripling".
Upon investigation, it was determined there might be a leak somewhere.
The city stated that if that was the case and the homeowners fixed it, they would pay half the cost.

Where is the news here?

I know in my city, the city water line is their responsibility, past that, it is 100% mine. If I had a leak in MY portion of my water line, I would have to fix it.......100%. Sounds like Cape Coral water dept is pretty nice!

Note to all- inaccurate, inflamatory posts will be deleted.......

Frank

That's why I L-O-V-E links; so that readers can read for themselves!!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehman59 View Post
thanks Frank, I don`t mind someone pointing out problems truthfully, but when they mislead with half truths and/or lies to cause problems or stir up trouble...well then I think they need suspended or banned..some of the other forums I belong to would have banned that person for some of the statements a long time ago ....then again some of the other forums I frequent would have encouraged them..LOL
Exactly.........the way I was raised, a half truth is a whole lie.

Note to posters- it is fine, even encouraged to post links, but when you are commenting on them, your post must reflect what the link says, or your post will be deleted and possible infractions and/ or banning may result. Warnings have been issued.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:19 AM

By reading the actual article, readers can judge for themselves what was written in the article.

My main point about the article was...where is the leak?

If it was in the house, they would see it. If it is outside the house, how could one ever find it through miles of pipes.

Didn't the article say that there are many other people who have the same problem with water bills? Do they all have water leaks inside their homes??

Last edited by yoko; 09-05-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 AM

58 posts, read 106,968 times
then state your points instead of posting all the link with your inflammatory statements

no place is perfect, I live in East Petersburg/Manheim Pa most of the time and it is not a whole lot different from CC.....but house are more expensive here, taxes are higher, roads are worse, drivers the same, living expenses higher, it gets damn cold here in the winter, heating bills, no beach, seasonal allergies

I`d trade my small home in Pa for another home in CC if anyone is up for it,

Old 09-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Well, no one has "MILES" of underground pipes.
There are mainly two types of pipes underground in Florida. Your main water line, and your sprinkler system.

It is not that difficult to determine if and where you may have a leak.

Every system is different, but I will try to shed a bit of light here. Know that this may not pertain to EVERY situation, as it depends on if you have one or two meters, where they are, etc.

If your meter is at the curb box, and you turn your main water main off at the house, and your meter is still running, you have a leak between your meter and the house. In Florida, it is usually not that far down, and you may or may not notice a "wet spot" in your lawn. The water dept can usually determine where your line is and detect the leak.

If it is in your sprinkler system, past the control valves, you can usually find what zone the break is in by running each zone and seeing what zone is not spraying water with the usual pressure. You can also check by putting a pressure gauge, (less then $10.00 at any hardware store) on a hosebib, and with the different zones on and no running water in your home, check the static and residual pressure for each zone.

One can then find the broken zone, and cap sprinkler heads in sequence until one finds about where the leak is. By capping the others, the leak should intensify, and show up in the lawn. If you do not know for sure where the plastic line is, one can thread a metal fishtape inside between sprinkler heads and with a metal detector, find right where the pipe is.

Sprinkler lines constantly break from mowers, etc. Anyone who lives in Florida should either have a good working knowledge of them, or know a good sprinkler person, as the systems usually need regular maintenance.

I am a newer Florida homeowner, and am only down there a few times a year, but I seem to have a better understanding of these systems then many ful time residents do. I've re-piped a good portion of my system, and replaced all of the zone valves, solinoids, etc.....and have replaced and adjusted many of my sprinkler heads, etc.....

Frank

Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
But the article says that they found the problem and it was the meter and it was actually charging them LESS than what they owed! Yikes!

It's true. That sort of stuff goes on everywhere. I once wrote an article about a resident of a small town in Massachusetts that got a water bill for $2,000-plus. Mistakes happen all the time, everywhere.

I think the thread should be closed. The post didn't really state what the article said. It is misleading and is not pointing out something that is inherently wrong with the area. School choice or very high unemployment is a reason to stay away. A problem with a broken water meter where, come to find out, they were actually undercharging, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area