Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,583 times

Advertisements

in case anyone else has something to add to this...looking for pro and con views, hopefully for the purpose of informing unions in how they can avoid killing the goose that lays the egg

Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
Understandably, unions are going to get as much for their members as possible. It is up to the local government to negotiate a contract that will not bankrupt the locality. I think it is prudent for a locality to pay a premium to workers to keep a continuous workforce.You don't want local workers leaving every couple of years. Happy, steady workers will build a more harmonious community.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I find it a little strange that an employee of the Canadian government wants to discuss our public sector employees.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,538,684 times
The role of Gov't is to provide essential services........like public safety. Police officers and Firefighters require tons of constant training and incur a high amount of risk. Without them you would have chaos.
I see and do things daily the "normal" person will never deal with. I earn my weeks pay sometimes in 5 minutes. You basically get what you pay for....aren't you worth it? I know I feel safer knowing Professionals are only 2 minutes away if needed, weather I need a fire put out or Paramedic advanced life support.....it is sad that we are always the easy target......oh well.

Frank

Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
I'm definately with you on public safety.....we can't pay police and firefighters enough for risking their lives every day.My rant is about the millions of hacks that ride a desk for 20 years and retire in luxury on my hard earned money.
Here's the difference.......I am in the restaurant business.I order from my suppliers,sell the product,pay my payroll and lots of taxes.If I work hard and stay smart,there is some left for me.Nobody gives medical,dental,a car,retirement sick days or vacation days.
My business is self sustaining...it supports itself.
Government doles out all of the bennies mentioned above but they are paid for by people like me....bigger the government,the bigger my taxes.Pretty soon there will be more people working for the government or on entitlements than we can sustain......
I have nobody representing me demanding more money and bigger benifits.If I raise my prices too much,people can choose not to come to my place.My retirement will come not from a union steward,but from the sale of my business....if I am ever able to sell it.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I'm definately with you on public safety.....we can't pay police and firefighters enough for risking their lives every day.My rant is about the millions of hacks that ride a desk for 20 years and retire in luxury on my hard earned money.Here's the difference.......I am in the restaurant business.I order from my suppliers,sell the product,pay my payroll and lots of taxes.If I work hard and stay smart,there is some left for me.Nobody gives medical,dental,a car,retirement sick days or vacation days.
My business is self sustaining...it supports itself.
Government doles out all of the bennies mentioned above but they are paid for by people like me....bigger the government,the bigger my taxes.Pretty soon there will be more people working for the government or on entitlements than we can sustain......
I have nobody representing me demanding more money and bigger benifits.If I raise my prices too much,people can choose not to come to my place.My retirement will come not from a union steward,but from the sale of my business....if I am ever able to sell it.
You really believe that the government workers in swFlorida will retire in luxury? That's crazy.

I own two businesses and have the same issues as you. If I don't like what my local government is paying the workers I can show up at the local public meetings. I can organized like-minded individuals. I can start petitions, run for office, get rid of the bums. That's what living in a democracy is all about. Yeah, you have a business to run. So don't a lot of other people. Get involved but quit whining.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/trackitfan/01125107.Par.89380.ImageFile.jpg (broken link)

Federal employees make double the private sector........so who's crazy?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
You can vote the federal pols out on their butts too if you don't like the direction they are taking us.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 9,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
The role of Gov't is to provide essential services........like public safety. Police officers and Firefighters require tons of constant training and incur a high amount of risk. Without them you would have chaos.
I see and do things daily the "normal" person will never deal with. I earn my weeks pay sometimes in 5 minutes. You basically get what you pay for....aren't you worth it? I know I feel safer knowing Professionals are only 2 minutes away if needed, weather I need a fire put out or Paramedic advanced life support.....it is sad that we are always the easy target......oh well.

Frank

Frank, as a former middle school teacher in the state of Florida, it would be necessary to include this group on your list... That was the most brutal job that I ever had, requiring a vast array of skills, talents and knowledge... There was not enough training available to make this job endurable...

Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 AM

964 posts, read 2,065,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post

Federal employees make double the private sector........so who's crazy?
I don't get this graph. What jobs is it comparing? The Federal government has thousands of lawyers, accountants, spies, and other professionals in its mix. 80K base is pretty low for that position level.

As well, the majority of Federal workers live and work in one of the most expensive areas of the country. Compare that to the cost of living in a state position in Alabama or Mississippi, and again that comparison is flawed.

Finally, I would think the variety of the positions in each of the 3 sectors is across the board. Couple that with volume of people represented in both the state and private sector numbers, it would seem that the job diversity (admin assistants all the way up to professionals) would dilute the numbers to make the comparison invalid. It's comparing EVERY private sector employee (restaurant line cooks, cable guys, doctors, waitresses, Walmart employees, etc.) to 2 much smaller pools. And we all know the great benefits that Walmart employees enjoy.

What's that quote about damned statistics and lies? Folks are just gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area