Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM

31 posts, read 92,665 times

Advertisements

We've purchasing a foreclosed condo and find the hurricane shutters have disappeared. I've been warned to expect $1,500+

If I understand this correctly there are 90 degree brackets bolted to the anchors which the aluminium "shutter" bolts to. Seems to me they should be somewhat universal cut to fit and then bore the holes?

Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Were the shutters there when you closed? In other words, when did they go missing. If you agreed to the purchase and the shutters were on the building then the bank needs to give you the money for the shutters. Talk to your buyer's agent. He/she can notify the bank.

For replacement, first check with the condo association to see which shutters are allowed. They will undoubtedly have lots of info on what kind of shutters to buy, where they can be found and how they should be installed.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 PM

616 posts, read 1,563,885 times
If you can get away with it - probably not due to HOA,

Go to Habitat for Humanity - you can get the aluminum shutters for 5.00 a piece for whatever size.

Then go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up the "hurricane" screw and bolt bag - plan on about 100.00 for 5/6 bags.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 AM

The lack of shutters along with a few other items are a condition of sale. The HOA requires shutters to be placed "in the event of a rotating storm......"

Hopefully they have a plan B for me beginning the latter part of October when we take title until I can satisfy the requirement.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 AM

I received a quote for $2500. whew! And this is for a unit sandwiched between others so no side windows.

I don't know how much sizing is involved but if I understand this correctly a straight piece of steel is attached top & bottom to 90 degree brackets secured by the existing anchors in the floor/ceiling?

Anyone have to replace shutters?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 AM

964 posts, read 2,063,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Flier View Post
I received a quote for $2500. whew! And this is for a unit sandwiched between others so no side windows.

I don't know how much sizing is involved but if I understand this correctly a straight piece of steel is attached top & bottom to 90 degree brackets secured by the existing anchors in the floor/ceiling?

Anyone have to replace shutters?

Thanks
That amount is ridiculous. We had new shutters - the corrugated metal ones - fitted and the bolting installed for our entire house for less than that. PM me and I'll send you his contact info. The gent was very accommodating. He installed them for the city inspection and then offered to take them down and store them for us while we were up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area