Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 36,416 times

Advertisements

Hi We will be going to Ft. Myers or Cape Coral area for a house hunting trip
We will be arriving on Jan and planning to stay for a few months until we find a condo in a nice safe family friendly area.
We are a family with 8 months baby in our late 30's and we are looking at spending most of the winters over there. We work from home.

What we would like if you can share your opinions of different areas that will allow us to walk or bike with the baby, where it can be safe.

For what I understand is that CC has a low crime rate and that Ft Myers is a mix of communities where you have to be on a gated community.

Please be as specific as you would like, your input, its greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,818 times
Why a condo, why not a house?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 36,416 times
we are not sure yet, but I think that a condo is maintance free, It will be nice to look for a house as well, not sure which area to look in CC yet or if Ft Myers is better. Right now we are looking on an area, where it has a sense of community and its nice and you can see people walking or biking if that is actually that exist.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianbirds View Post
we are not sure yet, but I think that a condo is maintance free, It will be nice to look for a house as well, not sure which area to look in CC yet or if Ft Myers is better. Right now we are looking on an area, where it has a sense of community and its nice and you can see people walking or biking if that is actually that exist.
Fort Myers has a pretty high crime issue whereas Cape Coral is one of the safest communities in Florida.

Biking and walking is not very doable in the state of Florida. It is often cited as one of the worst states for walking and biking and has a high accident rate. Lee County has been ranked 23rd worst in the nation for preventable pedestrian deaths.

Florida ranked worst in nation for preventable pedestrian deaths | (http://www.eco-voice.org/node/1688 - broken link)

Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
The safest walking is in the parks. Many have walking paths.
City Parks Map

Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM

374 posts, read 796,165 times
"Fort Myers has a pretty high crime issue whereas Cape Coral is one of the safest communities in Florida"

Well if that isn't the most "generalized" non-factual point I have seen in while. Parts of Ft. Myers have crime isues, but parts don't, and how would that stack up against Cape Coral? Or is Ft. Myers now in the same category as Lehigh?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Fort Myers' latest crime index, according to City-Data, was about 600 as opposed to the national average of about 321.

//www.city-data.com/county/Lee_County-FL.html

Cape Coral's latest crime index, according to City-Data, was about 270 as opposed to the national average of about 321.

//www.city-data.com/city/Cape-Coral-Florida.html

Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM

220 posts, read 745,339 times
I am in the SW off Surfside, we all bike and walk, how I met my neighbors!
There are a few streets used as cross streets to veterans but I reguarly walk my dogs and plenty of people with baby strollers are out and about.
Depends on how accessible you are to through traffic I suppose

Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianbirds View Post
What we would like if you can share your opinions of different areas that will allow us to walk or bike with the baby, where it can be safe.
Without a price range, it's really impossible to make helpful suggestions.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with living in a gated community. They're quite common in Florida.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,873 times
If you are buying a condo in a gated community make sure there are children in the population. Check with the schools in the area and see where family neighborhoods are. Alot of the gated communities with golf courses are white headed older types. You need to do your homework and maybe connect with a realtor or two. You might rent first and get a feel for the area before investing. Cape Coral has it's own drawbacks besides speaking of crime rates and it's not the prettiest community asthetically. Lots of empty flat lot areas, canal streets, a bit rural in places and crowded in others. You need to be here and choose what is comfortable for you. South Fort Myers is quite nice but not sure how many children are there. Never see any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area