Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
You don't need a computer, no, but I was told directly by Comcast that the phone requires an internet connection and a special modem in order to have active phone service.
Well, then I guess that person should be fired. I can't believe people are arguing with someone who worked for Comcast in sales and customer service.

Here is a Q&A "directly" from Comcast.

[URL]http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=25420b0c-0bd3-4835-a508-f57c03058ecd&fss=use[/URL]

Do I need a computer to use Comcast Digital Voice service?

A computer is not required with Comcast Digital Voice® service. With the Comcast Digital Voice service, calls are made and received through a normal phone set; however, you can use a touch-tone or cordless phone.

The Comcast Digital Voice service is not a PC-to-Phone or PC-to-PC service. But, you can use a computer with Internet access to take advantage of some of our enhanced features, including online account summary, up-to-the-minute call detail online and, where available, web access to voice mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, then I guess that person should be fired. I can't believe people are arguing with someone who worked for Comcast in sales and customer service.

A computer is not required with Comcast Digital Voice® service. With the Comcast Digital Voice service, calls are made and received through a normal phone set; however, you can use a touch-tone or cordless phone.

The Comcast Digital Voice service is not a PC-to-Phone or PC-to-PC service. But, you can use a computer with Internet access to take advantage of some of our enhanced features, including online account summary, up-to-the-minute call detail online and, where available, web access to voice mail.
Nancy, the point is being missed here. Note that nowhere does it state that an active internet line is not required. The text is just saying you don't need the computer itself. Why on earth would one need a modem if it wasn't internet dependent?! Anyway, we'll see in about 30 minutes. I'll plug the phone modem into a nonactive internet port in the wall and see what happens.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
I assume skype and magic jack has been considered in the mix, as well, IF you have interent, there is OOMA, which is a skype/landline hybrid...free calls after purchasing the box

Free Home Phone Service | Ooma

there are also various internet based services that replace a fax machine, incoming and outgoing
Skype and OOMA are all well and good for personal use, but for business, I wouldn't go there.....

Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm positive. I've hooked up quite a few people that didn't have a computer. Yes, it is through a cable modem but it does not need a computer. It is called VOIP but it is not the same technology as Vonnage. With Vonnage, if your computer goes out, you don't have a phone.

I use to work for Comcast but what do I know. Maybe you'll believe Wikipedia. Comcast Digital Voice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Or heck, just click on "Do I need a computer to use Comcast Digital Voice service?" on this page: Equipment | Help & Support | Comcast customerCentral
Good heavens of course I believe you!

I never really considered a VOIP system without a computer. What would be the advantage of getting high speed internet just for the phone? It couldn't possibly be cheaper to pay for that and internet vs a landline. Unless landline wasn't available in your area.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Actually, I didn't work for sales or billing. I worked for tech support, the same as I did for Sony, BellSouth and At&T.

Izmack, you can't just hook it up yourself. Comcast would have to come out there and hook up the line.

Golly, folks, I don't care what you use for a landline. I don't own stock in Comcast. Two Progresso soup cans will be fine if it works for ya. The only reason I'm responding is someone DM'd me that there was some big controversy over this.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Actually, I didn't work for sales or billing. I worked for tech support, the same as I did for Sony, BellSouth and At&T.

Izmack, you can't just hook it up yourself. Comcast would have to come out there and hook up the line.

Golly, folks, I don't care what you use for a landline. I don't own stock in Comcast. Two Progresso soup cans will be fine if it works for ya. The only reason I'm responding is someone DM'd me that there was some big controversy over this.
Hiknapster, my husband just went and picked the modem up at the CC Office. They have a self install option to avoid connection charges.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
Hiknapster, my husband just went and picked the modem up at the CC Office. They have a self install option to avoid connection charges.
In certain regions of the country you can self-install Comcast phone service. I am not sure if Cape Coral is one of those places. If your husband is simply picking up a modem for internet service, no, it will not connect phone service. It is a special EMTA that is needed.

For you, Izmack, I actually called Comcast - Knoxville, to make sure. I just got off the phone with them. They are not sure about your area.

But, once again, they reiterated that you do not need internet - or even cable tv service - in order to get Comcast phone. Yes, that EMTA is perfectly capable of giving you internet service if you are willing to pay for it. But if all you want is the phone then you can have just the phone.

Once again, it is VOIP which means that it is voice-over internet protocol, however, it is not like Vonnage and not dependent on the internet.

I hope that I helped. Have a great day!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
In certain regions of the country you can self-install Comcast phone service. I am not sure if Cape Coral is one of those places. If your husband is simply picking up a modem for internet service, no, it will not connect phone service. It is a special EMTA that is needed.

For you, Izmack, I actually called Comcast - Knoxville, to make sure. I just got off the phone with them. They are not sure about your area.

But, once again, they reiterated that you do not need internet - or even cable tv service - in order to get Comcast phone. Yes, that EMTA is perfectly capable of giving you internet service if you are willing to pay for it. But if all you want is the phone then you can have just the phone.

Once again, it is VOIP which means that it is voice-over internet protocol, however, it is not like Vonnage and not dependent on the internet.

I hope that I helped. Have a great day!
Well, something is off, as was not what I experienced this afternoon. I plugged the self-provisioned Comcast EMTA modem into a coax jack into the wall that is not provisioned for internet. The modem did not respond. We called tech support and they clearly said that since the coax line was not provisioned, the modem / phone would not work. I then plugged the EMTA modem into the coax jack that was provisioned for internet, and the phone now works. I use my own modem for internet, so now have a splitter with 1) my modem for internet and 2) the EMTA modem for phone.

All this happened within the last 30 minutes.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
This is interesting.

Professor hik-If you don't need cable or internet, how does it work? I understand the basics of VoIP, but the I stands for internet.

Not trying to be argumentative here-just trying to figure it out. The website doesn't actually say you need internet for the regular phone packages.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
This is interesting.

Professor hik-If you don't need cable or internet, how does it work? I understand the basics of VoIP, but the I stands for internet.

Not trying to be argumentative here-just trying to figure it out. The website doesn't actually say you need internet for the regular phone packages.

This may solve it. If the internet goes down, so does your phone. For the less technical among us, broadband = internet
It's just not the internet that Al Gore built.

From Comcast High-Speed Internet | ComcastOffers.com

Q: What is Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)? A: Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a technology used to transmit voice and related calls over a data network. Most VoIP service providers use the public Internet to transmit your calls, but Comcast calls are transmitted over our private advanced broadband network. Using broadband technology, Comcast Digital Voice service is able to provide you with a number of enhanced new innovations, without sacrificing any of your current phone features or the call clarity you expect.

Q: Does Comcast Digital Voice work the same way as traditional phone service?
A: Inside the customer's home, the only difference is that Comcast Digital Voice does not work with rotary phones. Outside the customer's home we take advantage of state of the art broadband technology and, in most areas, VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology. This allows us to deliver crystal clear calls and advanced calling features.

Q: Are Comcast Digital Voice calls routed across the Internet?
A: No! Comcast keeps the calls on their private broadband network until our switch delivers the call on the PSTN (public switched telephone network). Calls are just as secure with Comcast as with any other telephone provider.

Q: If the cable goes out, will my phone go out too?
A: No. Comcast uses the power of broadband to deliver Comcast Digital Voice, cable television, and High-Speed Internet services to our customers over a single coaxial cable. To ensure reliability, these services function independently of each other, so if one Comcast service is affected, it does not necessarily mean your other Comcast services will be affected. But is a storm or accident knocks out our network, then multiple services may be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area