Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 25,234 times

Advertisements

Just curious. We are origionally from up north, moved to Cape Coral for about 7 years, moved back up north to be closer to family when our kids were born.....NOW we are thinking about moving back down to Cape Coral. (we were gone 5 years). Has anyone else done this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I did, but it was when jobs were plentiful. Are you going to be looking for work? If so, think twice! If not, it's a good time, a LOT to choose from rent wise.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I lived in Florida for ten years. We moved away five years ago. We almost moved back last spring, but because we have a lot of family in Cape Coral and some in Fort Myers, and it would be nice to be around them.

We didn't though, due to the economy. We were not dependent on jobs and were actually starting our own business, but we were far too nervous regarding the economy even though our business is fairly recession-proof. I also don't care for the school system. And I think the kids there are far too fast-paced, to put it politely, and I am far from being a prude. And finally, we like the change of seasons. We are still in The South, so we get very mild seasons, though.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patonc10 View Post
Just curious. We are origionally from up north, moved to Cape Coral for about 7 years, moved back up north to be closer to family when our kids were born.....NOW we are thinking about moving back down to Cape Coral. (we were gone 5 years). Has anyone else done this????
A lot has happened in 5 years. Of course that's true for most areas, but Florida has been hit very hard by the recession, and the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area is always in the top 5 for foreclosures. Lee County unemployment is one of the highest nationwide. On the positive side, if you sold a house 5 years ago, you were very lucky, because you can probably buy the same house for 50% less. Guess you still haven't gotten your answer! I wonder if people ever move back here.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think the kids there are far too fast-paced, to put it politely, and I am far from being a prude.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I'll be a bit more blunt....... The priority just out of high school seems to be, well, (being PC here) start a family, think about how to support one later......

Again, I think it is a regional anomaly, not restricted solely to the Cape. But no shortage of it there either.

YC.......

Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 AM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I'll be a bit more blunt....... The priority just out of high school seems to be, well, (being PC here) start a family, think about how to support one later......

Again, I think it is a regional anomaly, not restricted solely to the Cape. But no shortage of it there either.

YC.......
That phenomenon is pretty much all over the South:

The highest teen birth rates are in the South and Southwest; Mississippi is highest with 68.4 per 1,000, followed by New Mexico, with a rate of 64.1 and Texas, with 63.1. The lowest rates are in the Northeast. New Hampshire had the fewest teen births with 18.7 per 1,000. Vermont, with 20.8 per 1,000, and Massachusetts, with 21.3 per 1,000, were also low. Decreases were noted in New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island and the District of Columbia.

Teen birth rates up in 26 states - USATODAY.com

Pretty sure religious demographics play a role, too, but I won't touch that one. Or, maybe I just did.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

YC.......
I seem to remember that happening when I went to high school on Long Island way back when.

Yes, I have seen it happen to a few of the kids even in high school but don't think it is most of the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area