Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 AM

63 posts, read 149,928 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've been reading through these posts the last few days and found a lot of great information, so I want to thank you

I'm 27 years old and planning on moving from Long Island to the Fort Myers/Naples area for school. I got accepted to FGCU and University of Tampa. I came down last month to visit FGCU and really liked it! I also really enjoyed the area, so I was surprised to see the crime rates as high as they are. I know Fort Myers isn't really for a younger crowd, but I don't mind. I'm not going down to go out to clubs and whatnot. I'm really going down to finish my degree. I've lived in NY my whole life, so I'm looking forward to a bit of a (warm) change. Even if only for a few years.

My boyfriend and I are going down again this Friday-Sunday to check out some apartments. We wrote down a few that we'd like to see, including Brittany Bay and Estero Woods Village. Do you guys know anything about these places? Once again, I'm not concerned about the age thing. I'm more concerned about safety and bang for my buck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Hi Lisa,
I moved down from Long Island in March. I think you will like it. The shopping and restaurants are similar to Long Island. except you don't have the city at the end of the LIRR tracks. I am in Cape Coral but that is too far from the campus. There are a lot of nice areas in the south part of Fort Myers. There is some nice entertainment for young people (not me) in downtown Fort Myers.
Good luck.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
The only Brittany Bay that I have heard of is in Naples. Too far. I haven't heard anything about Estero Woods, but at least it is closer and near Coconut Pointe Shopping. Most of the students live in apartments around Three Oaks Parkway and Koreshan Boulevard.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Rikoshaprl- that's what I saw, too, when I was down there. It reminded me a bit of Long Island. The hotel my friend and I stayed at was in Cape Coral. I didn't mind the drive to the school from there. I live in the Babylon area now and go to school in Selden, so I'm used to driving around half an hour anyway. Do you think it would be worth it to take a look at apartments there? The only thing that would bother me is the $2 toll to get into Cape Coral. Is there anything for residents so you don't have to pay that every time? Or is it just standard?

Hiknapster- that's the one I was looking at, the one in Naples. How far is it from school? I mapquested it and it came up as 25 minutes, but that website isn't always that accurate.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:10 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
There is a discount program:
https://www.leewayinfo.com/LWinfo_tolls.html

I love Cape Coral. But I would check out apartments closer to the school, with maybe a young crowd. One thing that surprised me about the area is the number of younger families.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
It's about 40 minutes to Brittany Bay in Naples, more with traffic, however, I would not recommend those apartments. In fact I would strongly urge you to not even consider it.

Cape Coral is going to be anywhere from 45 minutes to well over a hour. It's a nice community, although there will be very few college students, if any.

I strongly suggest that you stick to looking in Estero. It's a very nice area, probably one of the best in the immediate area.

There are lots of senior citizens all over swFlorida, and Estero is no better. They leave in April and don't come back until November-January. But at least you'll have some people in your age group with common interests.

College students are a very small demographic there. If you start straying too far you could end up in questionable places such as Brittany Bay.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks for your insight. I did like the fact that Estero is so close to school. I'll stick with looking in that community.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM

357 posts, read 783,479 times
As a 23 year old living here, I would tell you to choose the university of tampa haha... Well I do a lot of traveling for my job so I know the area well. I guess it really depends on what you're looking for. Naples is probably the nicest in terms of scenery. The downtown area is nice and close to the beach. Also allegator alley is right there and miami is 2 hours away...

Estero is where most of the FGCU kids live. Gulf Coast Town Center and Coconut Pointe Mall have tons of stores and resturants and are not too far from the school.

I would avoid Cape Coral. Traffic is bad, got to pay tolls, too far from the beach....

Fort Myers is nice. I think Mcgregor Blvd. is a nice residential area and you're close to everything...

If you want to know anything specific, let me know! good luck!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Tomno, thank you so much! UT is actually cheaper than FGCU, so I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. It seems like Estero is where I should be looking. Why would you choose Tampa over FGCU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area