Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,345,383 times

Advertisements

No offense to London Guy, but I feel sad that our country has so many foreigners living here. We're losing our American sense of idenity. We are becoming more and more "diverse," and I'm not sure that is entirely a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 PM

146 posts, read 374,769 times
Pardon me, but a negative appreciation of "more and more diverse" doesn't register. Chances are that London Guy is a long-lost cousin. Also, I'm not sure how a "foreigner" is defined in the US, unless it's by a Native American. I think we should all be proud of the diversity in the US. (My 2 cents worth)

Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,883,741 times
Default When a house is not a home

Gee, what did I start? I never said London Guy shouldn't buy a house here because he is a foreigner. I was specifically targeting the article and the statements I quoted above.

This has nothing to do with diversity, it's about the devaluation of our dollar and selling off our future. Other countries have laws to limit foreign investments, especially when it comes to land ownership. However, our government fully supports foreign investments and has created tax breaks to encourage buying real estate here. They've made it easier for foreigners to form partnerships and LLCs so it's not just the individual who is getting a 2nd home, but groups of investors buying up dozens of properties.

Also, the same lenders who got bail out money from our taxes (yes, the money the people who are losing their houses worked for) are making it easier for a foreign investor to get a mortgage. As the article indicates, they're not considered to be as much of a risk. So you work for 25 years and pay taxes, get laid off, lose your home. Then the federal government gives money to the same bank who is now foreclosing on your house and will soon give a mortgage loan to someone from across the Atlantic. If that makes sense to you, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
"BTW today is Dec 7th."

Yes, today is a very sad day in our country's history.

To cheer myself up on this day, I watch Youtube videos of the atomic bombs being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It helps.
Even if you were joking, I find your comment very distasteful.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 PM

And I work daily with my associates in Japan and Germany. I hold none of the past against them. Nor do my associates from Britain, African Americans, or Native Americans hold the past against me. It was sad, but it's past.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Sorry, Frank, probably off topic.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpedwards View Post
And I work daily with my associates in Japan and Germany. I hold none of the past against them. Nor do my associates from Britain, African Americans, or Native Americans hold the past against me. It was sad, but it's past.

You shouldn't hold anything against them. But we should never forget the past either.

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it".

Old 12-08-2010, 12:44 AM

48 posts, read 82,624 times
The article states that 22 percent of home sales in FL this year are to foreign buyers. I doubt that this is really something to be unhappy about(or alarmed, concerned, upset, conflicted... whatever adjective one would like to use). 78 percent of sales are to non-foreigners. My husband and I are in that 78 percent group. We'll be moving down there in June, from St. Louis, MO. Can't wait!

I thought SW Florida has always had a large amount of foreigners and out-of-state people relocating to(or living part-time in) the area. Every time I have visited, I hear German, French, Spanish, etc. being spoken when out and about. I can't imagine that the diversity is some new worrisome thing.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 AM

37 posts, read 67,844 times
Any thoughts on groups of foreigners buying up foreclosed homes and turning them into rental properties?

They could very possibly end up renting such properties to local residents (US Citizens) who have lost their own homes through foreclosure.

Am I wrong to find this distasteful and troubling?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,315,724 times
I for one welcome foreigners investing in Cape Coral, as long as they are coming here legally. These folks must be somewhat successful as they are probably buying their second home. They are bringing money into our economy. They won't be collecting unemployment or other benefits that drain our economy. They add diversity. What is with all of the negativity on this forum?
Maybe some of the unhappy people here should invest in foreign countries. Many places have very low housing costs.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post

The real crisis in the US I think is several fold

- the old model of high paying unionized manufacturing jobs with benefits is toast, thanks to globalization
- the blue states have gone beyond the tipping point of being paralyzed by parasitic public unions, and those parts of the US are playing out like Greece and Ireland, being carried by the red states (like Germany is carrying Greece, Ireland, and soon Spain)
- middle class Americans lifestyle expectations are way out of whack with how the rest of the developed world sustainably lives
- the divorce epidemic magnifies the financial stress and vulnerability
Says the Canadian with the high-ranking big government union job...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area