U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
 
Location: maui
570 posts, read 518,006 times
Reputation: 154

Advertisements

why did you choose ft myers area over say tampa or other area?
in depth reply appreciated.
thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 AM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Reputation: 245
Some times it's as simple as wanting to be further south, closer to the everglades.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral, FL
7 posts, read 17,945 times
Reputation: 12
It was a possible city to be transfered for my job.

I have a friend that lives down there, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
 
Location: maui
570 posts, read 518,006 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrap83 View Post
It was a possible city to be transfered for my job.

I have a friend that lives down there, too.
hi how have you liked it? how long have you been there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Fort Myers FL/ Ottawa ON
1,210 posts, read 2,975,032 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny7 View Post
why did you choose ft myers area over say tampa or other area?
in depth reply appreciated.
thanks
We were really drawn to the urban atmosphere of Tampa and the charm of its old neighbourhoods (St. Pete's historic downtown is nice, except for the massive homeless problem), but for second homers and snowbirds, you generally keep moving further south as mid-Florida catches a few more cold fronts than further south. Sarasota seems to be far enough. I have personally been on St. Petes Beach and seen snowflakes. This would not be an issue if you are a full timer getting 11 months of warm and hot weather. Apart from Naples/Sanibel, I believe you get much more for your money as you get away from commuting distance to Tampa.

And what is the deal with the air up there? Driving up the 75 I noticed the sky go grey as we approached Tampa, especially when looking through polarized lenses...maybe its the power plants. Noticed the same thing flying into Tampa.

Another consideration for Tampa Bay is that there is worse than average risk profile for a 2 story (or worse) storm surge if a hurricane hits the Bay at just the right angle, which is why I would live in the northern suburbs away from the Bay or a least check out the storm surge charts.

In my twenties I would drive around Tampa when visiting my parents (who were in Port Charlotte), and I kinda kick myself for not moving there when I was young enough to do so. As cities go, looks like paradise to me.

As far as Fort Myers (well, the zone 30 miles up and down), assuming you could find work, and then be willing to work for half of northern pay rates, I can't imagine enjoying that as a younger person unless you are totally into fishing/boating and golfing...but you have all that in Tampa as well.

For myself who uses Florida for leisure only, outside temp (especially Dec-March) is the deal breaker. Florida is real depressing and strange at 60F, so we want to keep those days to a minimum.

If you told us more about your situation in life and interests, I am sure you would get more detailed feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 01:44 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,572 posts, read 49,142,538 times
Reputation: 13470
I don't find great comfort in living in swFlorida during a storm surge, either. Florida Gulf Coast Storm Surge : Weather Underground
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
 
Location: maui
570 posts, read 518,006 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
We were really drawn to the urban atmosphere of Tampa and the charm of its old neighbourhoods (St. Pete's historic downtown is nice, except for the massive homeless problem), but for second homers and snowbirds, you generally keep moving further south as mid-Florida catches a few more cold fronts than further south. Sarasota seems to be far enough. I have personally been on St. Petes Beach and seen snowflakes. This would not be an issue if you are a full timer getting 11 months of warm and hot weather. Apart from Naples/Sanibel, I believe you get much more for your money as you get away from commuting distance to Tampa.

And what is the deal with the air up there? Driving up the 75 I noticed the sky go grey as we approached Tampa, especially when looking through polarized lenses...maybe its the power plants. Noticed the same thing flying into Tampa.

Another consideration for Tampa Bay is that there is worse than average risk profile for a 2 story (or worse) storm surge if a hurricane hits the Bay at just the right angle, which is why I would live in the northern suburbs away from the Bay or a least check out the storm surge charts.

In my twenties I would drive around Tampa when visiting my parents (who were in Port Charlotte), and I kinda kick myself for not moving there when I was young enough to do so. As cities go, looks like paradise to me.

As far as Fort Myers (well, the zone 30 miles up and down), assuming you could find work, and then be willing to work for half of northern pay rates, I can't imagine enjoying that as a younger person unless you are totally into fishing/boating and golfing...but you have all that in Tampa as well.

For myself who uses Florida for leisure only, outside temp (especially Dec-March) is the deal breaker. Florida is real depressing and strange at 60F, so we want to keep those days to a minimum.

If you told us more about your situation in life and interests, I am sure you would get more detailed feedback.
hi, I am dissabled and retired, moving with my mom and sister needs work, looking for beautiful beaches, parks too sit out, to maybe grow some fruit. too live there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
 
357 posts, read 689,008 times
Reputation: 179
how much money do you have? I would start in Naples and try to get something as close to the beach as possible. Naples has a nice downtown and some nice parks, as well as great beaches. It's kinda of a pain gettin to the beach sometime here in fort myers. But I cant remember the last time I even went to the beach and when I do, I always go down to Bonita because the beaches are nicer there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top