Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,966 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am originally from Fort Lauderdale and miss the hell out of it, but my job has had me in Orlando for the past 3 years. I cannot stand this place. I have seen more crimes, shootings, child predators, etc... here in the so-called "good" areas than I ever saw in my life in South Florida. I love the beach and don't like being stuck in the middle of the state. I may have an offer for a great job with the same company in Fort Myers. I am not familiar with that part of Florida, I know it has pretty beaches, but how are the neighborhoods?, is there a high crime rate? Is there anything to do I am in my late 20's i just want nice chill hang outs and some ocean air. If any one could me some pros' & con's I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

A Florida Girl!

EXTRA INFO: The job i am offered is great as I am an apartment manager i would proably have little to no rent.....

Last edited by Sunshinegirl; 07-18-2007 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: little extra info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
My suggestion would be to live in N Naples and commute to Ft Myers. Ft Myers - at least while I was there - had a sheriff that was very lenient on crime. He implemented a no pursuit policy. The little gang bangers would come to N Naples to rob the stores and banks and such and then hop over the county line, as if they were playing hide and seek and Lee County was home base. Our sheriff in Collier finally decided if Lee didn't want to pursue that was fine, but by God we were - right into their jurisdiction.

They finally got the message that Collier County wouldn't tolerate crime. They tend to stay in Lee County now.

Lee has some nice areas, some incredibly nice areas, and some slums. My aunt is in Ft Myers. She's got a gorgeous turn of the century Victorian that she and her husband bought in the 40s. Beautiful house. But the neighborhood has gone to hell. The other houses there have been chopped up into little apartments for low income housing. Crime is terrible.

My in-laws live in Bonita Springs, which is south Lee. They are in a way over priced gated community that's massive. It's very nice, but like I said, way over-priced.

The only problem with N Naples is that the prices there went so crazy that they've become critically short staffed with the middle class jobs - teachers, nurses, law enforcement, paramedics, fire fighters, etc. On the upside they have a sheriff with a zero tolerance policy for criminals.

There are some areas still decent priced - Estero, Cape Coral, etc., but again, it's a crap shoot. You really need to go down there and spend a few days going through different areas.

I'm not sure how Lee County works, but in Collier, the county is divided into districts. Each district divides itself into grids. You can get the grid number you are interested in living in and get the stats on crime in that area. You can even call them and give them an address and ask if there has been a history of like break-ins at the house and such. It's all public information there. They are very open with things like that.

I spent the first 35 years of my life in Naples, which is just south of Ft Myers. I was 5 generation there, so if you want any other info, just let me know. I've been gone just over a year, but I'll do what I can to help you out.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl View Post
Hi,

I am originally from Fort Lauderdale and miss the hell out of it, but my job has had me in Orlando for the past 3 years. I cannot stand this place. I have seen more crimes, shootings, child predators, etc... here in the so-called "good" areas than I ever saw in my life in South Florida. I love the beach and don't like being stuck in the middle of the state. I may have an offer for a great job with the same company in Fort Myers. I am not familiar with that part of Florida, I know it has pretty beaches, but how are the neighborhoods?, is there a high crime rate? Is there anything to do I am in my late 20's i just want nice chill hang outs and some ocean air. If any one could me some pros' & con's I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

A Florida Girl!
Do you have a area you like. And how much are you looking to pay.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Adding :

I think Lee County hired one of it's former deputies as sheriff either right before I left or right after. Can't remember. Chances are, if he was a former officer and on road patrol, he knows the areas that need to be worked on. I'd be willing to be if that's the case that's he's cracked down some and things may have improved since I left. But like I said, I'm not 100% sure on any of that.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Adding :

I think Lee County hired one of it's former deputies as sheriff either right before I left or right after. Can't remember. Chances are, if he was a former officer and on road patrol, he knows the areas that need to be worked on. I'd be willing to be if that's the case that's he's cracked down some and things may have improved since I left. But like I said, I'm not 100% sure on any of that.
Yeah, Its Mike Scott, He had been great so far.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Oh good. I was pretty sure I'd read that. Still can't remember if it was before or after my move, but I was so happy to see someone get in there that really knew what was going on in the streets. Hopefully he can get things changed around and get them away from their reputation as Lee Clowny.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl View Post
Hi,

A Florida Girl!
Pros to Fort Myers

-Clean air

Cons
-Crime
-Boring
-Rude people
-Traffic
-4390349043904390430 sex offenders, thats EVERYWHERE in Florida except for limited sections of Seminole,St. Johns, Broward and Palm Beach County. Even the panhandle is loaded with offenders.
-Older population
-Weak job market
-very expensive
-Isolated from the Gulf

Try Naples, or back to Fort Lauderdale (Which truthfully, is not what it used to be in many places itself). If the job offer is really good, live in North Naples and commute. Otherwise, you should try finding jobs on the other coast. Or maybe Tampa area.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM

172 posts, read 856,986 times
its gona be EXTREMELY boring compared to ft lauderdale or orlando. most things cater to retirees so after about 10 there wont be too much to do.

you have a job which is good , alot of people tend to come here in hopes of getting a good job and end up working overnights at walmart.

my suggestion is to come to the city for a week or so and see whats its really like.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 59,920 times
I was born and raised here in Cape Coral, that is about 15 min. away from Ft. Myers. Compared to Orlando I would say Ft. Myers is probably a little more laid back. Work traffic can be a pain and you used to never hear about crime like you do now, but in saying that I would assume it is much less than Orlando. The neighborhoods are like anywhere, you have some that are pretty bad and some that are great..it just depends. You'll have to just take a little trip and drive around down here. ( I would stay away from downtown Ft.Myers)

As far as things to do, that has been a problem since I can remember... you have the beaches and the movie theatres, that's about it, oh and 2 new starbucks! :0)

Sounds like you have a good opportunity though, if you can be here almost rent free and be in an area with less crime and closer to the beaches, I would say go for it! ( My son on the other hand can't wait to grow up and move to Orlando so he can work at Disney :0)....many blessings on your search, I wish you well!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,379 times
Wink sunshine girl to sunshinegirl....

One downside of that area is the limited gulf access compared anyway to up north of maybe Punta Gorda. The traffic and the tourist strip to the beach meant a one time visit for us. Interviewed for a job there, would have liked the job, but did not like the city, again compared to Sarasota. Just my opinion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area