Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM

19,362 posts, read 27,588,925 times

Advertisements

We are spending the winter in Cape Coral in a home that is on the Canal. We are pretty inexperienced fisherman, but brought our rods and reels.

Are we allowed to fish in the canals? If so, do we need a license? Fresh or salt water? Suggestions as to bait, line, and what we might catch (and is it edible)?

Other suggestions for fishing areas or tours that we might enjoy are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,985,172 times
Can't comment about what you may catch since I'm not familiar with that area, but yes, a fishing license is required in the state of Florida. You probably won't get caught in your back yard, but the $$ collected from fishing and hunting licenses is used toward conservation so is always a nice "donation".

Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM

68 posts, read 202,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
Can't comment about what you may catch since I'm not familiar with that area, but yes, a fishing license is required in the state of Florida. You probably won't get caught in your back yard, but the $$ collected from fishing and hunting licenses is used toward conservation so is always a nice "donation".
Thank you for that information. We spotted a nice fishing spot recently and there were quite a few Lady Fish jumping so I'm thinking of taking up the sport again. If anyone else has more info about this I would appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,064,733 times
They were probably mullet if they were jumping. I will assume you are on a saltwater canal if you were told there were ladyfish there.

As far as fishing best bet is to catch and release only. There are many species that are closed season. There are also fish that have size limits and bag limits. To make things even more confusing they have some which are called slot fish which means they have to be between a certain size

I don't usually have a lot of luck fishing when the water temps are cold as they are now. My best advice is to get some live shrimp from a bait shop and go to either the causway of sanibel island or one of their beaches. Bring two rods . Put a large shrimp on a circle hook. Put a bobber/cork about 5 feet above the bait and cast it out and let it sit.

Take 2nd rod , break shrimp in half or thirds, hide the point of the hook with the piece of shrimp, no cork on this application. Instead of casting out, cast paralell with the shore maybe about 5 to 8 feet out. Let the shrimp hit bottom and keep your line tight. I usually give it a couple reels let sit for a 5 count and repeat.

The types of fish you're likely to catch with the outward cast line are spotted trout and spanish mackeral

Paralel cast you are looking for whiting, sheepshead, snapper, redfish, black drum.

Both methods will also catch sharks and catfish. You have to update us with your fish stories.
For chartered trips i'd recomend capt kirk santier his company is called west coast fishing charters

Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM

96 posts, read 348,717 times
I spent last February in a condo on a canal off Charlotte Harbor. I was new to saltwater fishing, but I talked to several other fishermen on the canal and they gave me tips to get started. I also went to a local tackle store and they helped me with the tackle I needed. We were useing two methods, and caught mainly trout, a few redfish. You never really know what you might catch.
On one rod I used a DOA shrimp soft plastic, cast it out and worked it back. I also used frozen shrimp, cast it out to the bottom and worked it back. I had better luck with the shrimp. I probably would have done even better with fresh shrimp.
Getting ready to leave tomorrow for the same condo. Can't wait to start fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area