Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times

Advertisements

Solar heaters are a waste of money......they work best when you don't need them.You want a warm pool? suck it up and install a heater.Wifey likes to swim at 86 degrees.Feels like a frigging hot tub and I prefer low 70's so it's a little more refreshing,but you know what they say......if moma's not happy,nobody is happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
I had a solar heater that I used with a gas heater up north. I think the solar helped a little but there is nothing like firing up the heater when you want to warm the pool and the sun is not out.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 15,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjake39 View Post
Anybody know what the temperature would be in an unheated pool in February?Question is for an uncovered pool in Cape Coral.
Thanks,
Jake
I live in Cape Coral and have been living in Cape Coral since 1996. I have lived with an unheated pool in the winter and much of depends on which side of the house the pool is located. If the pool in on the southern side with a unobstructed from dawn to dusk, it may be tolerable. But it will still be so cold that you will not want to swim in it. Children may but should not as it will rob their small bodies' heat rapidly and they can get hypothermia and drown.

I highly recommend getting a solar system to heat your pool - that way, the sun does it for free all year round and you will actually use your pool rather than pay to maintain it and look at it for six months out of the year. I sell real estate and a lot of people get heat pumps so they can heat the spa (if there is one) Many pools built in past six years have spas with jets attached to the in-ground pools.

You can also get a black coating or dye mixed in to the cement finish on the bottom of the pool, and that is an excellent way absorb sunlight and warm the water naturally.

Also, many people use propane, but then you need to have a large tank placed on property and refilled occasionally. If your pool is on the north side of the house, you will need a heater even in the summer.

The cheapest way is through solar plumbed to roof-mounted array that keeps pool warm year -around.

Condominium associations try to be cheap and save money by setting it at 83f, but that is cold and no one swims because they are too chilly, especially if there is a wind or breeze. Raising to 87f is good temp that is not too hot and people will use it and be able to swim laps and get exercise.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capekelly View Post
If your pool is on the north side of the house, you will need a heater even in the summer.
I don't understand why it would matter if the pool is on the north or south side in the summer. The pool will be in the sun all day regardless. The sun is so high there is no shadow from the house on the pool.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I don't understand why it would matter if the pool is on the north or south side in the summer. The pool will be in the sun all day regardless. The sun is so high there is no shadow from the house on the pool.

and it will still be too cold to swim in!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
We have an unheated pool in Port Charlotte, FL. It is way too cold already for me to swim in. Has to be 78 or higher for me. I sometimes will float on a raft in the pool in the winter, but other than that maybe dipping my feet in while reading a book. We had a pool heater at our last home but we rarely ever used it. Only when the grandkids or other company came down from NY. They do have some solar rings that you can put in the pool, but I am not sure how good they work.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
and it will still be too cold to swim in!
In the summer?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 AM

25 posts, read 62,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
We have an unheated pool in Port Charlotte, FL. It is way too cold already for me to swim in. Has to be 78 or higher for me. I sometimes will float on a raft in the pool in the winter, but other than that maybe dipping my feet in while reading a book. We had a pool heater at our last home but we rarely ever used it. Only when the grandkids or other company came down from NY. They do have some solar rings that you can put in the pool, but I am not sure how good they work.
Solar pool heating systems this time of the year will be above 78 degrees when using a pool cover at night. That's no problem. If you want to extend the season even more, you can use a heat pump for supplemental heating, but the solar pool heater will bring up the starting temperature, reducing your electric heating costs. Installing a heat pump without solar is going to cost you dearly in electricity in the long run. Not using a pool cover in either case is usually a waste of money.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 AM

515 posts, read 1,590,363 times
Solar panels screwed thru perfectly sealed roof shingles is what you really want here in hurricane territory. After a few years of sun exposure quite a few of those fasteners tend to leak rain water into your attic and on to your ceiling drywall.
Solar panels only raise your temp by about 5 degrees, so at 60 +5 = 65, you still gonna swim in that? After it being DARK all night it's gonna take 8 hours of sun to get that water comfy just enough to dabble your toes in it and then run inside for dinner.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,590,363 times
Solor panels work as good as Window film for hurricane protection. It's all how much of the salesmens BS you get hood winked into believing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area