Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM

252 posts, read 388,848 times

Advertisements

Are outside antennas allowed in Cape Coral?We have always outside antennas,not seeing any in the satellite pictures of homes makes me think
they may not be allowed.
Thanks,
Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 AM

964 posts, read 2,065,788 times
I have a satellite dish, so can't see why an antenna would not qualify....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjake39 View Post
Are outside antennas allowed in Cape Coral?We have always outside antennas,not seeing any in the satellite pictures of homes makes me think
they may not be allowed.
Thanks,
Jake

Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times
May be more of a hurricane thing

Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjake39 View Post
they may not be allowed.
Thanks,
Jake
Despite what many HOAs love to claim, you are always allowed to install an TV antenna on property you own. Municipalities cannot ban antennas either. FCC rules.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
You can also put an antenna in your attic and get pretty good reception.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 AM

68 posts, read 203,591 times
We live in a Fort Myers condo developement and satellite dishes are banned in any shape, way or form. As we are under contract with Dish Network we were lucky in finding a condo facing West and in a spare room placed the satellite dish behind a window with a net curtain so it cannot be seen by the condo 'police'! It works well but on a sunny day lowering the window blind stops the reception of many channels. As we are not happy living here we hope to move before the hot weather arrives.
I should add that the rules were explained to us before we signed the lease.
As there are quite a few companies that sell and install satellite equipment in Cape Corral I doubt they would be in business for long if there is a ban of any kind.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM

964 posts, read 2,065,788 times
My understanding is that the FCC says that restricting the installation of satellite dishes in condos is illegal, but I could be reading this wrong:

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Just because you agreed to this by signing a waiver does not negate the fact that the waiver in itself is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCrossing View Post
We live in a Fort Myers condo developement and satellite dishes are banned in any shape, way or form. As we are under contract with Dish Network we were lucky in finding a condo facing West and in a spare room placed the satellite dish behind a window with a net curtain so it cannot be seen by the condo 'police'! It works well but on a sunny day lowering the window blind stops the reception of many channels. As we are not happy living here we hope to move before the hot weather arrives.
I should add that the rules were explained to us before we signed the lease.
As there are quite a few companies that sell and install satellite equipment in Cape Corral I doubt they would be in business for long if there is a ban of any kind.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
My understanding is that the FCC says that restricting the installation of satellite dishes in condos is illegal, but I could be reading this wrong:

Just because you agreed to this by signing a waiver does not negate the fact that the waiver in itself is illegal.
Condos are tricky, because you may not "own" the outside. There is certainly no way they can prohibit using a Dish from within the unit though. They can only prevent you from attaching it to the building. If you have a porch then they cannot restrict you from setting up a dish attached to pole in a bucket. I've known several people that have done this.

It's amazing the kind of BS that HOAs and condo boards will try and get away with. Just because they say it is so or even put it in writing does not mean that they supersede federal law.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Condos are tricky, because you may not "own" the outside. There is certainly no way they can prohibit using a Dish from within the unit though. They can only prevent you from attaching it to the building.

As I understand it, in a condo, you do not even "own" the inside. Only the "airspace" between the walls, floor and ceiling belong to you.....check it out sometime.....

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post

This correct! You can install the dish inside your apartment or condo or on your balcony. You cannot attach it to the building or roof. Nice detective work. Label me impressed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area