Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 AM

35 posts, read 281,660 times

Advertisements

By this I mean, what all do you have to do when you move to Florida from Illinois? I realize i'll have to get my plates and registration switched..How much will that cost?? What other expenses should I be ready for??

Also, how much is rent in the area and what areas should I avoid that are high crime areas???

Any additional info/help would be great.. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 04:18 AM

Another thing I need to add is, I was also considering Daytona beach as a place to live...Can somebody tell me which would be a better choice for me, a 24 yr old man?... I'm not worried about a job because my work will let me relocate... Tell me a little bit about daytona...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:25 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...n-process.html

What is your housing budget? Kids? Spouse? It's helpful if you post more about your situation.

Why Fort Myers?

Your questions are too broad. Help us narrow it down a little.

I would ask in the main Florida forum about Daytona.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleNbox View Post
By this I mean, what all do you have to do when you move to Florida from Illinois? I realize i'll have to get my plates and registration switched..How much will that cost?? What other expenses should I be ready for??

Also, how much is rent in the area and what areas should I avoid that are high crime areas???

Too many unanswered questions. I would suggest you take a trip to Florida and drive around a few areas on your list. Daytona an entirely different area of Florida.

Florida is a very large state with over 18 million people. I mean, you wouldn't be able to compare living in 2 cities like Chicago and Springfield or even 2 small cities like Winnetka and Champaign. You need to narrow it down a bit.

Regarding costs for your vehicle, just to the DMV website for instructions. You might also want to call an insurance company for rates. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them offer a free relocation booklet.

Rental rates depend on your personal needs and desires. Start out by looking on Craig's List for ideas. You might also want to request information from a local Chamber of Commerce or contact a rental agent in the area. I suggest staying in a Residence Inn or other extended stay hotel until you make up your mind.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I'm not always a fan of Fort Myers, by any means, but put it up against Daytona and it looks darn good. I think Daytona is a dump. On the other hand, there are a lot of seniors and snowbirds in Fort Myers and I can't imagine a 24-year-old moving there on purpose. If you moved to somewhere more decent near Daytona, such as New Smyrna Beach, you would probably be better off.

When I was 36, I had the choice of moving to Fort Myers or New Smyrna. I had no chance for research. It was a decision I had to make in minutes. It was a very, very bad choice. I've been gone from Fort Myers for five years and that was a very good choice.

Most 24-year-olds don't willingly move to the area.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Ok to explain my sitaution a little further, i'm looking to relocate from illinois since i'm sick of the midwest. I work at wal mart, which will let you relocate to other stores. I kind of have a choice where I want to go.. I'm gonna save about 5 grand up. I'm 24, not a big partier, but do like a "live" scene if you know what I mean( No country scene)..No kids, no college plans. Just want to live on a beach scene, thats not too ghetto or expensive. Looking for a 1 bedroom apt. I just don't know what city I should go with. 2 choices are daytona(fun town, been there twice) and fort myers( Never been it just looks beautiful and would be nice living in S florida)

Anyone know which one would suit me better?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Rule of thumb....The east coast is pretty much where the action is.We went to Ft Lauderdale for years.Clubs,parties,GFBL boats (that's GoFastBeLoud),fast cars beaches and babes,trendy restaurants and great clubs with any kind of music that you want.
West coast is a little more laid back,nice beaches,flea markets and a lot more retiree's than the east coast because the pace is a lot slower.
If you find a nice area,and there are many in cape Coral,with a mix of families and snowbirds.....it's pretty good living.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 AM

31 posts, read 80,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleNbox View Post

I have lived in Il also-vehicle reg. is different here in Fl. It goes by weight of the car. Starting price is right around 400. Shop around for your auto insurance-there is quite a difference in prices-some were twice as much.

We got our deposit on our electric waived by signing up for auto-pay from our checking. Sattelite companies also run specials for free installation.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
My insurance was a little cheaper in Cape Coral than it was in NY. The $400 registration fee is for the first year only. It is way cheaper after that. I think rents will be cheaper in this area than on the east coast.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:07 PM

31 posts, read 80,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
My insurance was a little cheaper in Cape Coral than it was in NY. The $400 registration fee is for the first year only. It is way cheaper after that. I think rents will be cheaper in this area than on the east coast.
Cool glad it's gonna go down we have 4 vehicles and will add another next year-I was thinking BIG ouch. So thanks for info.

Also Circle---hotpads has alot of rental information as well as for sales. It has a map of florida run your mouse over the houses on it and it tells you the rent- if your interested you click and there is usually pics and more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area