Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 33,991 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the Fort Myers area. We homeschool our 4 children. Could anyone tell me if this is popular in this area. Are there a lot of other Homeschoolers to hook up with. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I have a friend of mine in Ft Myers who has homeschooled ALL of his Eleven kids. They are very well connected with homeschooling in the area.
Their website is Character Pitch

I'm sure they could help.

Frank

Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I have a friend of mine in Ft Myers who has homeschooled ALL of his Eleven kids. They are very well connected with homeschooling in the area.
Their website is Character Pitch

I'm sure they could help.

Frank
What a WONDERFUL website.

It seems that there are quite a few homeschoolers in Fort Myers. My daughter and I have gone back and forth on whether we want to do that. She's almost 11.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Homeschooling is very popular in Lee County. You won't have any problem finding support groups or co-ops. I suggest you read up on the homeschooling laws in Florida. They aren't really restricting, but the chick in the homeschool office tends to expect more from us than the law requires. Just read the law, know the law and be prepared to read it back to her. You usually only have to do that once... lol

Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I'm in Charlotte County, but I can tell you that there are TONS of homeschoolers around here. I'm sure it's the same in Lee County. As far as the laws, you can affiliate yourself with an umbrella school, and as far as the state is concerned, your kids are private school students, so you don't have to deal with the superintendent's office at all. Florida is a very easy state to homeschool in, and homeschooling here is very popular.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 34,842 times
I just moved to Burnt Store Marina this wknd. Have 3 kids....3,5,&14. I am concerned about my 14 yr old. he has slight special needs.
Does anyone know about Punta Gorda Middle School ESE Dept?
Or a homeschool club that caters to slight special needs?
Also, what about the elementary schools?

Do any children at all live in Burnt Store Marina???

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

Sorry, I do not know how to start my own forum!

Looking for playdates for my children....ages 4 boy, 6 girl, and 14 boy who loves to play tennis.

We live in Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda.

Also, looking for an occasional babysitter too. Oh, and an excercise partner for me

We all need friends here!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMarie View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to the Fort Myers area. We homeschool our 4 children. Could anyone tell me if this is popular in this area. Are there a lot of other Homeschoolers to hook up with. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori

There are several homeschool clubs in the area. I have homeschooled my son also.
I believe there are many clubs and support systems in place because Lee COunty school are not very good as a whole.
Familes definatley do not relocate to FL for the schools.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 33,991 times
Thank you everyone for all the helpful info. I had heard about the umbrella schools so that is good to know that is a viable option. I am so happy to hear that homeschooling is popular down there.
Peace,
Lori

Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 PM

101 posts, read 272,304 times
Default Hi LoriMarie

we just moved here from NJ this winter and we've homeschooled all through the years, we joined a group here that's pretty active, it really depends on where you are going to be living. It doesn't seem like it, but the area is very large and you will want to join w/ a group that is somewhat close to your home. We are renting now and still getting use to the area and looking where we want to settle down, but for now it's working. I think there are many options for HSing, if you want to email me privately I can give you more details.

So far we've had science classes at the edison/ford estate- very cool. the wild wizard is great! There is also a great program for all ages but middle school and up is best that the county runs called LEE GROWS, you tour the county facilities for 5 weeks and see what your taxes go to and how the government runs down here. We've just loved this program. This week we toured the recycling plant, the waste management plant, the DOT, the 911 center- all very cool stuff and this is free.

I am just loving the options and there are a lot of ppl who have been HSing here for a long time, all are very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area