Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM

50 posts, read 80,987 times

Advertisements

we own a retail pc repair business here and also do onsite services in homes and businesses for hourly fees, just wondering if anyone knows how much competition is in the area for these services? We know it would take years to build the business as we have here in Ohio, I am aware there is a best buy/geek squad in this area but they are also much higher priced than what we offer...just wondering if people know this area if they think this would be a good business to have down there? I was thinking in FL it could be real good due to a lot of retired folk, but also tourists would likely not make good customers....just looking for thoughts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
There are a lot. A google search will show you what you are dealing with. The unemployment rate is sky-high so everyone and their brother had to think outside the box, plus the market has always been saturated even though there are a lot of retirees that use the services.

Cape Coral Computer Repair in Cape Coral FL Yellow Pages by SuperPages

Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Default yeah

there are a lot here too, but we are the best! LOL!!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM

Default looks like similar to here...

a lot of people who want to offer remote support, not the same as a onsite technician and I am sure if we eventually started a retail location that will put us a cut above many of these who do not have a drop off location. I think having the retail location does legitimitize the business a lot, but we would want to get the area known a lot better before we decided on a good spot for that and now that we have 2 kids under 2 starting in August we may wait for them to become a little older before opening a storefront again.

I plan on calling a lot of the places and finding out their rates for on-site support too, from what my husband has already researched the rates are similar to what we get here, there are also an abundance of retired people in florida so there very well may be more need there as well then here, as here a lot of people can call a grandson over, well if you don't have one in the area, it's a lot harder....

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
There are a lot of techs in the area. Sony had its tech support based in Fort Myers. I use to work there. So did my cousin - one of the best techs that exist - but after living in Fort Myers most of his life he finally had to move to Orlando about a year ago. I just don't think there is enough work but I could be wrong.

Research the heck out of it. I use to live down there and now run a business up here and I know that even though you can plan the unknown can blindside you.

The biggest warning I can give you is the area is very transient. I can't stress that enough. Even for the retirees. So many people come and go. It leads to very little loyalty when it comes to business relationships. Also, the folks that live there are known for squeezing their nickels. That was the case even when the economy was booming. That can easily be said about a lot of places but swFlorida retirees give a whole new meaning to the word "tight."

Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks and I take that warning seriously, but if they want their pc worked on by us, they will pay the fair rate or go someplace else, never have been afraid of turning down bad jobs in favor of good ones, adding that we would not be just doing this at first so not like we need it to support our fam (always been our extra fun... income), my husband has a lead on a decent full time job in the area that he can most likely get without a hitch....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area