Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 PM

196 posts, read 503,206 times

Advertisements

What is the deal in Lee County,,This is suppose to be a Giant Secret,,this is BS! I want to hear from everyone, lets blow the lid off this thing once and for all! I hear Folks Call the Company and they blow you off,,telling their Customers, "We answer to NO-One"!!! What kind of Customer Service is this and Whats the Truth? Here's the Story!!! Friends of Mine lived in the NW,,home was built according to the "Good Cents Standards". The home is 2400 sq/ ft. New Only Built in 2007. The street was pretty empty so the Homeowners had to pay for the street light themselves, understandable I guess, here what is Unbeleiveable!! In the summer Months they were told and average Electric Bill is around $300.00 a month. There's was like $672.00,,which spiked to over $900.00 a month!! they called LCEC, Wrote Letters, Called Customer Service, requested an explanation and investigation and was turned down over and over. This is unbelieveable, how can these bills be considered reasonable that LCEC would dismiss and explanation or investigation? They would not even consider replacing which might of been a faulty meter. The homeowners had no choice other than pay them and shut up! Anyone else with these proplems? Everyone tell me something,,would love to get this in the News Press Hands and the Energy Commission? Can anyone think of any one else to contact? What are your bills every month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:14 PM

244 posts, read 486,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
What is the deal in Lee County,,This is suppose to be a Giant Secret,,this is BS! I want to hear from everyone, lets blow the lid off this thing once and for all! I hear Folks Call the Company and they blow you off,,telling their Customers, "We answer to NO-One"!!! What kind of Customer Service is this and Whats the Truth? Here's the Story!!! Friends of Mine lived in the NW,,home was built according to the "Good Cents Standards". The home is 2400 sq/ ft. New Only Built in 2007. The street was pretty empty so the Homeowners had to pay for the street light themselves, understandable I guess, here what is Unbeleiveable!! In the summer Months they were told and average Electric Bill is around $300.00 a month. There's was like $672.00,,which spiked to over $900.00 a month!! they called LCEC, Wrote Letters, Called Customer Service, requested an explanation and investigation and was turned down over and over. This is unbelieveable, how can these bills be considered reasonable that LCEC would dismiss and explanation or investigation? They would not even consider replacing which might of been a faulty meter. The homeowners had no choice other than pay them and shut up! Anyone else with these proplems? Everyone tell me something,,would love to get this in the News Press Hands and the Energy Commission? Can anyone think of any one else to contact? What are your bills every month?
I know that "Fox 4 in your corner" (FOX 4 News | Cape Coral-Fort Myers-Naples Florida - WFTX - Home - Fox4now.com - In Your Corner (http://www.fox4now.com/Global/category.asp?C=90461 - broken link) had reportet on a similar case (with Lcec) a few month ago. I probably would contact them. Wink "call for action" would be good too: http://www.winknews.com/Call-for-Action Also nbc-2 "investigators": might be a good address to start. NBC2 Investigators - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

You guys just need to pick one of the stations, they will not investigate for you if you contact all three of them. (My electric bill runs around $ 160.00/month)

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,342,195 times
If people use air conditioning, About 56% of the bill goes to that, 2400 sqft if all the sqft-age is under air that is a big area to cool and I believe that that is above what would be considered an average home. Then you add the water heater, cooking, TV and other electric toys it can add up quick.
Many appliances use a lot of energy when they are "turned off," unless you unplug or turn off the power strip/surge protector they use energy.
Maybe they should look in to an analysis of their daily use that would give them an insight of what and when they use the most electricity,
The meter could be effected But with todays technology that is highly unlikely.

The only time I have had contact with LCEC was when I had the power turned on initially and they seem to be ok to deal with, was an everyday transaction and they turned the power on when they said they would.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 PM

These friends of mine had nightmare issues with them,,,the family were long time residents,kid got married and bought a home,,,so they knew what the cost would average,,,these bills were off the charts,,for an energy star home,,LCEC WERE RUDE, UNCOMPROMISING AND PRETTY , UNRESPONSIVE.. this was the last response the family expected. the home was located along on a street in the NW. I am curious if the new homeowners will experience the same issues????????

Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 PM

646 posts, read 1,638,331 times
Sounds like the lamp post was hooked into their electric?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,479,376 times
My home is 2,400 sq ft and I pay about $160 in the winter and $300 (lately) in the summer. I have a pool and do keep my A/C at 80.

I also pay about $10 for a street light.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,764,906 times
How long did they have bills like this? Did the neighbors have the same issues? Were the bills ever "normal"?

Maybe a neighbor had hacked in?

Here is a thread on soemone else who had trouble with LCEC getting her electric on. The prior owner had illegal electric so all sorts of permits and inspections were required.

After everything...I still love Florida

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,074,453 times
my houe is just under 1800 sq ft. 9 out of 12 months the bill is under $70. No pool, AC kept at 78 during the day and 72 at night. During the summer house is unoccupied 3 out of every 4 weeks, AC kept on 86 degrees when not there. Bill has never been over $100. Some of this has to do with house size and age of AC unit (an older unit will not be as effiecient) or the size of the unit in comparison to the space needed to cool. One size should not fit all

Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 AM

646 posts, read 1,638,331 times
Our electric for 5 with 2100 sqft, full time residence is always between 100-200 dollars. I would see what the neighbors are paying and if infact they are paying for that light they had installed. I wish them luck!!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 PM

They were paying for the light ten dollars a mth. The neghbors had no issues, they all had normal bills. I have to ask if they were ever normal priced bills, at 1st. They did have 3 a/c units,,but again the home was built to be a "good cents home" aka> "extreamly energy efficient to todays standards" they swear, the more they inquired with LCEC the higher the bills went and in the end LCEC also maniplulated the Pole from ten to $70 a month when all was said and done.They reached out to every agency for help,, the fianl answer was "Screw U, were a Co-OP..even the Attorney General could not help, BBB, they tapped into all sorts of Arthorities with no avail. These folks ended up with over a $2000 Deposit,,,from fighting with them, Begging them to reaserch this, Just give them a decent explanation and maybe an Investagation as to WHY they had these unbelieveable Electric Bills! LCEC Offered NO HELP, One Lady @LCEC offered to look into it,,when they called back she had no recolection of the issues, not prior phone call. What's a Family to do? In the End,,they moved out of the Cape and were lucky to receive$500 back from their deposit, after they were charged with hidden cost and surcharges....What is the Deal with this,,Can it not be that a Lemon Meter can Exist for maybe every 10,000 produced???

Last edited by Twobeach; 03-15-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area