Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times

Advertisements

Sanibel > FMB...

I'd rather stay out on San/Cap all day long as opposed to FMB... I'm an San native so a bit biased but FMB brings in spring breakers, locals, and tourists. San/Cap is much quieter and a much better vacation destination IMO.

I can suggest specific restaraunt choices either way if you want!

Check out VRBO for good deals on either. We stayed at an awesome at Sanibel Arms for our honeymoon this past Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Congrats on your wedding!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
And remember that there may be some spring breakers that go to FMB but it is not a mecca. The beach still is geared toward retirees and families. Most of the young people that you see are actually locals. If a gator is on a salt-water beach he is very lost and probably needs assistance.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 PM

11 posts, read 18,473 times
I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions (and the beach cam link). Can I ask a few more questions?

We're still hoping to do this without renting a car. One of our original goals was to find lodging within walking distance of Times Square, but now we're not so sure. My wife read that TS is the kind of place we may want to visit once - that it is very touristy and filled with souvenir vendors. I had read that it is sort of the "heart" of the island community - dining, entertainment, shopping, etc. Is TS the "place to go," or is it a "visit once" kind of place?

Although it sounds like it might be easier to avoid the spring breakers if find lodging north of the pier, we've also been looking at a place south of there - about three miles south. Are most of the spring breakers active just south of the pier? Is three miles south far enough away to be able to expect some relative peace and relaxation?

If Times Square is the place to go, and if three miles south is far enough away from the college crowd, could we count on the island trolley to get us to and from the TS area? Does it have frequent runs? Does it go that far south? Does it operate at night?

Maybe three miles south is too far away? Are there other places to go/things to do that far south (3 miles) of San Carlos Boulevard?

Thanks, again, for all the help.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM

What are you looking for?

In my opinion all of FMB is something to visit once. I've been to lots of beach communities in my life, including three times in Bermuda, and FMB is simply okay. It's not Daytona, Old Orchard Beach or Myrtle Beach, thank goodness. It's not that tacky, but it is just okay.

If I had my choice I'd go to Sanibel if you are looking for beauty, class and unspoiled. If you are looking for refined but slightly livelier I would go to Naples.

Times Square is a very, very scaled down version of sunset at Mallory Square on Key West.

Like I said, FMB is mostly retirees, families and lots of locals. I lived there 10 years and barely visited FMB. It's meh.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
Times Square is quite small ... maybe like a city block long.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
Times Square is quite small ... maybe like a city block long.
And mostly tacky t-shirt shops, a Pizza Hut, etc. It's definitely not a vacation destination.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM

11 posts, read 18,473 times
So... if we're looking for FMB restaurants, and maybe a bar with live music in the evening, are those places spread throughout the island (as opposed to being concentrated in the TS area)?

The beaches of Sanibel/Captiva sound really nice, but are there other things going on there? I'm thinking Sanibel/Captiva lodging is also a little more expensive. We'll look into that one a little more.

Does anyone have better suggestions for a beach vacation destination near the Fort Myers airport? Airline tickets are purchased, but that's the only real commitment we've made so far.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:32 PM

No. There would probably be nothing of vacationing interest near the airport.

Yes, there are much nicer restaurants farther down the beach, for sure. It's a bit quieter, slightly less tacky. What is it that you like to do on vacation and we can steer you in the right direction. There are no wrong answers. It is your vacation and you worked hard for it. It breaks my heart to see people save for a vacation and not enjoy themselves.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What is it that you like to do on vacation and we can steer you in the right direction. There are no wrong answers. It is your vacation and you worked hard for it. It breaks my heart to see people save for a vacation and not enjoy themselves.

Excellent point, hik ~ when I lived in snow country up north, the only thing I wanted to do for vacation was to go to the beach. Every day. From morning till late afternoon. Then to a local restaurant for dinner, watch the sunset and do it all again the next day.

Sounds kinda boring to most people! But, I worked 50 weeks a year to do that for 2 weeks.

So, defining what is important to you on vaca is vital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area