Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 18,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What is it that you like to do on vacation and we can steer you in the right direction.
We're thinking maybe a good dose of lounging around on the beach... some swimming/wading in the ocean... enjoying the warm weather and sunshine (I still have a lot of snow in my yard up here). I'm guessing that will be the biggest thing on our "to do" list while visiting. That, and sleeping in.

I do like to see live music and have a couple beers once in a while... so maybe some suggestions of where we might find some good local bands (rock/country-rock/alt. country) would be nice. We also enjoy interesting restaurants - not fancy/expensive restaurants, but places with good food, reasonable prices, and a unique atmosphere - something we may only see in Fort Myers Beach.

We're up for "different." Not weird different, but experiences we can't have up here in northern Pennsylvania. Interesting local shops? Wildlife? Art or architecture? Sunny and 80 degrees in early April is "different;" maybe that's going to be enough. But, as always, any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 04:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Great! Then I think you are in the right direction. I really do. Fort Myers Beach will give you all of that. Like I said, it's not tacky, just beachy, which is what you are looking for. And it's a good beach to sunbathe on.

One of my favorite spots is Junkanoo and Anthony's. The food is okay but you can't beat the sunsets. There is usually some form of entertainment going, but bear in mind it is going to be like that up and down the beach.

Junkanoo Fort Myers Beach!

Locals kids go to the Lani Kai but it is not bad to sit on the beach and listen to the live band and watch their antics. Remember, this is not "girls gone wild" country. I usually have a couple of cousins frolicking around there. Occasionally an uncle, too. It's all harmless.

The Pink Shell Resort is just to the north of Times Square. It's the quietest part of the island, yet very close to the action. It gets very good reviews. There are a lot of decent places to stay, though. Fort Myers Hotels Florida - Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach Hotel Resort & Spa

Now that you've told us what you are looking for I am confident you will have a good time!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:26 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
I've been to both of Hik's suggestions and enjoyed them too.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Thank you.

One of the 10 day forecasts below is for Fort Myers Beach; the other is for my area.

They say that today is the first day of Spring. We're both looking forward to the sunshine and warm weather. I really do appreciate the advice I've been getting from everyone here.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
If you're dead set on FMB then def a visit to the Beached Whale for dinner/music is a solid choice. Matanzas Pass restraunt also has killer crunch grouper. A crunch grouper dinner or sandwich/lunch is a must while in SWFL. Doc Ford's and Junkanoo's are also solid. I typically enjoy the south side of FMB better towards the Outrigger. Would think having a rental car is a must.

Check out VRBO for Sanibel and just to a quick price check per night to validate there is a significant difference.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM

Yes, a rental car is very needed!

I don't know where you are from sean, but that's looks like the sort of weather I was raised in up in the northeast. Their winters are endless.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Up here in north-central PA, we don't know crunch grouper. Is that what you all call deep fried grouper in Florida? I've only heard of grouper (good things), but we'll make a point to find some while we're visiting.

I'll check into a rental car. But, the last time we rented a car, it stayed in the hotel garage the entire weekend. Would have been cheaper (and easier) to take a shuttle to and from the airport. Of course, that was downtown Chicago... probably a little different than FMB. The island looks pretty long, but it can't be more than a half mile (or so) wide. Right? Is everything so spread out that we'll absolutely need a car? Is the trolley system not really a useful mode of transportation for getting around the island for a few days?

I'm making a list of restaurant and other recommendations. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean79 View Post
Up here in north-central PA, we don't know crunch grouper. Is that what you all call deep fried grouper in Florida? I've only heard of grouper (good things), but we'll make a point to find some while we're visiting.

I'll check into a rental car. But, the last time we rented a car, it stayed in the hotel garage the entire weekend. Would have been cheaper (and easier) to take a shuttle to and from the airport. Of course, that was downtown Chicago... probably a little different than FMB. The island looks pretty long, but it can't be more than a half mile (or so) wide. Right? Is everything so spread out that we'll absolutely need a car? Is the trolley system not really a useful mode of transportation for getting around the island for a few days?

I'm making a list of restaurant and other recommendations. Thanks.
It's going to depend. If you don't mind taking a cab from the airport and then taking the trolley up and down the island you will be fine. Call a cab when you need to go back to the airport.

If you want to see other things like Sanibel, Captiva and Naples then you will need a car. Otherwise, you can do without. You said it's just a long weekend so you should be fine.

My husband is from Chicago. Fort Myers has a horrible public transportation system. The trolley should do you, though. I wouldn't rely on the local buses for anything else.

Here is the trolley schedule. http://www.rideleetran.com/pdfs/trolley-fmb1-13-11.pdf

Some hotels will pick you up and bring you to the airport. Check with that.

I never heard of crunchy grouper, either. It must be the batter. Grouper is fine. It's a bit like cod or haddock.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Hey Sean...another option if you don't want to rent a car.Rent a couple of bikes.My wife and I bring our bikes every time we go to FMB and it's totally safe....traffic moves slow and their are bike lanes on both sides.Also,the beach is very hard packed and great for riding.We usually bike south on the beach and then ride back on the bikes trails beside the road.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, a rental car is very needed!

I don't know where you are from sean, but that's looks like the sort of weather I was raised in up in the northeast. Their winters are endless.

it's snowing right now...Welcome spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area