Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've never heard of a HOA regulating noise. I'm sure there is a rule somewhere for some development but I have no idea how successful they would be compared to the cops. I think you are going to take your chances no matter where you go. Life is a crap shoot. You can buy tomorrow and the neighbors can be fabulous and the next week they can move away and be replaced by lunatics. Same with HOAs. Even if you could find a HOA that successfully deals with noise - although I doubt it - the next month the noise ordinance could be voted down and loud neighbors could move in. The only way you can guarantee stuff like that is to become a land baron.
Well, that's why we have forums and can freely express our opinions. I can only tell you from my personal experience that a good HOA always handles noise complaints and they do it tastefully & anonymously, which is best for the residents. If people don't like the rules, then they shouldn't move into the community in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, that's why we have forums and can freely express our opinions. I can only tell you from my personal experience that a good HOA always handles noise complaints and they do it tastefully & anonymously, which is best for the residents. If people don't like the rules, then they shouldn't move into the community in the first place.
Oh, do tell! I am quite sure it would be helpful information to let folks know which HOA!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
HOA's are nearly impossible to avoid in the Phoenix metro area (including Scottsdale, Mesa, tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, et al) unless you purchase a home more than than 20-25 years old. So those who object to HOA's have limited choices.

(interestingly, Paradise Valley is an exception. There are few, if any, hoa's there. However, the houses range from $1.5 million for a teardown to over $30 million.)

I agree - different strokes for different strokes. But the more transient areas may have a bigger need fir hoa's as the residents don't stick around long enough to truly become vested (emotionally and financially) in the neighborhood. I believe this is one of the main reasons that hoa's are so common (and popularly accepted) in the Phoenix area. Or are snowbirds and leave their home vacant for half the year and decide to save money by letting their landscaping go to hell. And let's not even talk about those people who find themselves in precarios financial situations and decide to turn off their pool motors (green water and mosquitoes do not make good neighbors, leave their non working vehicle in the street in front of their house, or can't afford to repaint their house. Or renters who truly have no vested interest in keeping up the home.

disclaimer: I don't know if this opinion applies to the SW Florida area. But I'd bet that it does.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 03-31-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:

You mean it's common practice for people in France, Italy, etc. to shake out their rugs?
yes, it is. And to sweep the sidewalks on front of their houses.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack
How much do these HOA fees run, anyway? We pay $140/month for lawn and pool care in our non-HOA, non-gated, quietly lovely street in SE CC, so that alone is $420 per quarter.
They vary depending on the area, the amenities and the association. Some include golf or other activities. I've seen fees as low as $90 a month and others higher than $400. If it's a gated community with a security guard, then he/she has to get paid. If there's a clubhouse with exercise facilities, heated pools, and tennis courts, then those need to be maintained. Some people enjoy maintenance free living, and there are associations that take care of all outside repairs and lawn care. It's a personal choice.

Quote:
Not sure what happens in an HOA if the neighbors are noisy? It's a sad state that we have to consider walling ourselves in and establish rules to guide basic etiquette in order to protect ourselves from the other element, whoever they may be.
If people are noisy, I think it's a good idea to initially approach them if they seem reasonable, but not everyone has good manners. Barking dogs is a big problem. Just Google it. The neighbor I mentioned above kept his dogs outside 24/7. They barked continuously. It's not a police matter until they attack someone. (just call Lee County) Animal Control said the only way to resolve the issue is to record the barking and take the owners to court. I wasn't the only neighbor who filed a complaint. Sometimes the dogs got loose.

I have never heard of any gated community that allows residents to keep their pets outside, not one.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM

I am quite sure that you are dead on and it certainly pertains to swFL as well. It was something that really shocked me when I first moved to the area from New England. Folks there lived in the same town for generations. If you put your car on blocks you'd be ostracized. It simply wasn't done. Pride of place was strong.

When people come and go I think there is the need for more rules just to keep the place up. Interestingly, in the Knoxville neighborhoods where there are mostly locals there are rarely HOAs. In the transplant areas they have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
HOA's are nearly impossible to avoid in the Phoenix metro area (including Scottsdale, Mesa, tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, et al) unless you purchase a home more than than 20-25 years old. So those who object to HOA's have limited choices.

(interestingly, Paradise Valley is an exception. There are few, if any, hoa's there. However, the houses range from $1.5 million for a teardown to over $30 million.)

I agree - different strokes for different strokes. But the more transient areas may have a bigger need fir hoa's as the residents don't stick around long enough to truly become vested (emotionally and financially) in the neighborhood. I believe this is one of the main reasons that hoa's are so common (and popularly accepted) in the Phoenix area. Or are snowbirds and leave their home vacant for half the year and decide to save money by letting their landscaping go to hell. And let's not even talk about those people who find themselves in precarios financial situations and decide to turn off their pool motors (green water and mosquitoes do not make good neighbors, leave their non working vehicle in the street in front of their house, or can't afford to repaint their house. Or renters who truly have no vested interest in keeping up the home.

disclaimer: I don't know if this opinion applies to the SW Florida area. But I'd bet that it does.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
If people are noisy, I think it's a good idea to initially approach them if they seem reasonable, but not everyone has good manners. Barking dogs is a big problem. Just Google it. The neighbor I mentioned above kept his dogs outside 24/7. They barked continuously. It's not a police matter until they attack someone. (just call Lee County) Animal Control said the only way to resolve the issue is to record the barking and take the owners to court. I wasn't the only neighbor who filed a complaint. Sometimes the dogs got loose.

I have never heard of any gated community that allows residents to keep their pets outside, not one.
I have a "thing" about barking dogs. I think it's inexcusable.

I have a dog and the only time you may hear him bark is if you come onto our property. He may let out a warning bark, depending on how he feels about you. He keeps a watch on his owners to see our reaction. If we look fairly happy to see you, he's probably not going to bark, probably going to wag his tail. He's trained to do that.

I firmly believe that pets, especially dogs, are a reflection of their owners. I've seen many a rude dog owned by rude owners, many who secretly think it's humorous that their dogs are badly behaved.

Further, depending on where you live, the local animal society may have a say on keeping your dog outside, day and night. Our local county animal society will investigate such a situation. They also don't allow dogs and cats to be adopted out into those settings, will do home visits and will take custody of the pet.

And this is The South where individual rights are king and regulations are few to nil.

Having said that, sometimes there are not enough rules in a HOA or this world to make some people happy. Rules don't stop people from being neurotic.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Having said that, sometimes there are not enough rules in a HOA or this world to make some people happy. Rules don't stop people from being neurotic.
True, there are people who will complain if your lawn is an inch too high. However, I'd rather be in a community where I don't need to deal with this type of problem after I've just bought a house.

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/house/334193-what-do-about-noisy-neighbors.html[/URL]

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/796735-noisy-neighbor.html[/URL]

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/1233431-barking-dogs.html[/URL]

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/albuquerque/1105276-barking-dog-rant.html[/URL]

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/portland/599734-noisy-neighbor-portland-city-limits.html[/URL]

Often these disputes end in a fight or even a shooting. If that's being "neurotic" that's fine with me. Maybe Woody Allen will ask me to star in his next film.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
True, there are people who will complain if your lawn is an inch too high. However, I'd rather be in a community where I don't need to deal with this type of problem after I've just bought a house.

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...neighbors.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-neighbor.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...king-dogs.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-dog-rant.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...ty-limits.html

Often these disputes end in a fight or even a shooting. If that's being "neurotic" that's fine with me. Maybe Woody Allen will ask me to star in his next film.
And there isn't a thing wrong with wanting to buy a home with a HOA. Whatever makes you comfortable. You've searched for a home for a few years now. I hope you find something that will meet your needs and that you will be truly happy.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Thanks. Hiknapster. I appreciate your kind words. I know this thread isn't about me, but the irony is that any house on which I've made an offer hasn't been in a planned community. I'm currently staying in a pretty mobile home park now and I wish these were CBS homes. I would never pay over $100,000 for a mobile home and the ones listed for $59,000 are only 624 sf and very old, although they include the land. As both of us said, it's a personal choice. Most people who live here love it, and many can afford a lot more. Sometimes it's not about the money. (although if I felt comfortable spending $300,000 plus all the monthly fees, taxes and CDD, I would probably move to an upscale community like Riverwood)

Over the years I really haven't been searching too hard, since prices have fallen so much in this area and I don't feel they're going up any time soon. This article was just published today, for what it's worth.

[URL="http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/why-the-housing-market-is-three-times-worse-than-you-think.html"]Why the Housing Market is Three Times Worse Than You Think [/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area